Author Topic: Jeep V8 mounts  (Read 4912 times)

dave

• View Profile
Jeep V8 mounts
« on: December 26, 2009, 10:24:36 pm »
I dismantled a 1980 CJ7 with a V8 motor(304). I remembered (or at least I was pretty sure) that one of the motor mounts was different for the V8's from the 258 so I sold it to someone making the conversion. When he went to do it he said the mounts were the same as he already had. One small and one large.  That is what I sold him but I absolutely know that they were attached to a V8.

Anyone have any experience? Are the mounts different?

I suppose its possible the V8 was sorta rigged in there but it seemed to run really good and not shake or vibrate oddly??

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
Re: Jeep V8 mounts
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2009, 08:34:12 am »
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

dave

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2009, 10:45:51 pm »
Yeah,

Thats what they look like. I guess the question is are they any different from the stock 258 mounts. He is claiming they are the same and now that I am looking at the other Jeeps I have with the 258 motor I do not see a difference.

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 28, 2009, 03:12:18 pm »
There is a difference...look at them closely. The 258 "narrow" mount has different notching in it but can be modified to work.

The V8 (304-360-401) will vibrate more than the 258...Remember that. The notch in the 258 mount will allow for "MORE" vibration when used on a V8.
People have used a thicker "rubber" on the 258 mount to work on the V8.
I've just always wondered why...? Why?
Those small block 8's that AMC made are in a lot of other cars if not scrapped...Javelin, Matadore (was an option), and the AMX.
I actually saw several of each of these cars in a yard along 81 up towards RC some years ago. I needed a motor, but they were gone beyond needing a total rebuild.
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...