Author Topic: cj5 axle and brake upgrade?  (Read 6498 times)

dave

• View Profile
cj5 axle and brake upgrade?
« on: November 20, 2009, 10:45:28 pm »
I have a 76 CJ5 with the drum brakes up front. I am thinking about upgrading to a pair of wide tracks out from an 84 CJ7. I know the rears will bolt up with little modification but I am not sure about the brakes.

Does the proportioning valve need replaced?

Would the master cylinder be different?

any help on these ? or anything else I may not have considered when making this swap.

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
Re: cj5 axle and brake upgrade?
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2009, 06:00:51 am »
I do know the master cylinder will need replaced due to the volumn of fluid needed from the swap.
You have "disc/disc", "disc/drum", and "drum/drum" cylinders.
Be sure to have the proper one after the swap.
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

Davew

• Jenn's On Board Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2009, 06:00:02 pm »
It's been years but here is what my chemically altered, feeble mind remembers
The correct way is to replaced the proportioning they are different for drum to disc also the master cylinders are different. The calipers of course use more fluid so the reservoir for the front is larger, What I'm not sure of is if the M/C bore is larger. Regardless replace both. If this is a trail rig only you may want to see how it behaves on the trail before laying out the coin for those pieces.
Stupidity, if left untreated is self-correcting

dave

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2009, 07:30:30 pm »
This is my wifes Jeep and its actually pretty much a stock street rig so I want to make sure I do it right.

I will probably just order the proportioning valve and master cylinder for an 84 CJ7 which is what the axles came from and do both.

Might even replace the brake lines why I am at it although I really don't want to.

Thanks for the help.