Author Topic: What did you do to your Jeep today?  (Read 709483 times)

Charlie

• PA Jeeps-Vice President
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your Jeep today?
« Reply #675 on: February 16, 2010, 08:51:14 pm »
Mike..you da man! ;D

Wait until we do some Kama Sutra recovery techniques. :o

Angie, would you bring the book please? 8)
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 05:27:54 am by Charlie »
Charlie "The Tuna" Stevens
2004 Wrangler Sport-4 1/2" BDS Suspension, 1 1/4" JKS Body Lift with 35" BFG's

Death Wobble

• Angie Zinn - Wall St. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #676 on: February 17, 2010, 09:41:45 am »
Angie,
Not sure what to say, do you find the Kama Sutra interesting reading?

I can lend you my copy if you want?  It's a fine piece of historical literature!  8)
'88 XJ Limited:  4.5" ZONE lift, 32x11.5x15 BFG KM2s, JKS Quicker Discos, Kevin's Off Road rock rails.
'96 XJ Sport: 31x10.5 BFGs, 3" Rusty's lift.
Listen to Clutch.
(and your gut instincts)
CENSORSHIP IS UNAMERICAN!

N3IW

• View Profile
« Reply #677 on: February 17, 2010, 11:57:37 am »
 ::)
Chip Morgan

2000 Wrangler TJ Sport - minor lift + 1.25" BL on 33s; many, many skid plates with more to come

MUDDY

• Jon Vasellas
    • View Profile
« Reply #678 on: February 18, 2010, 08:29:35 pm »
Went to Hoaks and bought 4new skyjacker 8000 shocks, exteneded brake lines. hope i get them on before the next trail ride.
98 grand cherokee mild liFT
97 CHEVY 3IN LIFT

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #679 on: February 18, 2010, 09:07:57 pm »
got a set of tsl mud boggers 33/10.5 have to get some pics up of them.
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

M + M Jeep

• Administrator
  • PA Jeeps-President
    • View Profile
« Reply #680 on: February 19, 2010, 08:01:24 am »

My 1992 4.0 5 speed Cherokee turned over 300,000 miles and has never left me stranded.  It's come close, I remember the computer box issue where I had to warm it up with a blow dryer before it would start.  That was touch and go for a couple of weeks.  Yes I carried a blow dryer with an inverter in a pinch.  Thanks to Hillbilly for hooking me up with a good used box though.

Wayne Fish

Charlie

• PA Jeeps-Vice President
    • View Profile
« Reply #681 on: February 19, 2010, 04:46:51 pm »
4.0's are the stuff! Congrats Wayne and I wish you many more miles. ;D

My rear view mirror fell off today, I'm typing this waiting for the new glue to dry. ;)
Charlie "The Tuna" Stevens
2004 Wrangler Sport-4 1/2" BDS Suspension, 1 1/4" JKS Body Lift with 35" BFG's

Jeremy

• View Profile
« Reply #682 on: February 20, 2010, 02:22:43 am »
A project, in the snow.  See it here:  http://www.pajeeps.org/forum/index.php?topic=3701.0

I also started to install a CB radio into the LJ Rubicon, more on that latter.

AND continued to try to figure out why the plow jeep will not run more than a few minutes and not at all once the throttle is touched.  Pretty frustrating to own a slow plow and still have to shovel snow.

Anyway the 1946 got some fresh gas, a charge put on the battery, and the glass fuel pump bowl cleaned out, fuel filter replaced and still is being bitchy, 

Jeremy Meehan

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #683 on: February 20, 2010, 09:15:47 am »
maybe the carb  has some "junk" in the venturies or all those other little tiny orifices. my camaro did the same thing last spring after sitting for awhile a rebuiuld kit and it was back on the street earning tickets..
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

chasm

• Blonde / Bomber...
    • View Profile
    • JeepChasm
« Reply #684 on: February 20, 2010, 10:39:50 am »
Jeremy: Are you still running the old Carter W/O carb? If so, there may be something wrong in the high speed circuit. The metering rod could be screwed up or the metering rod jet could be gummed up. There could also be something clogging the tip of the main nozzle. The low speed (idle) circuit operates differently which may explain why it craps out when you touch the throttle. When it's idling, the fuel / air mix enters farther down in the carb throat by the throttle valve, and also through the idle adjusting screw seat. Again, since you are running at idle, it makes me think that there's something wrong in the high speed circuit... mayb some laquer from old gas sitting in the bowl or something.

On the more PITA side (ask me how I know  >:() the offset lobe on the cam shaft that operates the fuel pump lever may be badly worn. In this case, it's just not going to pump up enough fuel when you move the throttle past idle speed.

I can probably track down one of my old Carter spec sheets if you need it. Shoot me an e-mail and let me know what model carb you have. I bought the Willys section of a carter carb service manual off of E-bay.
Mike Hardesty aka: "chasm"
'51 CJ3A: Restored Garage Queen
'83 CJ8 Scrambler: To Do List...
'93 YJ: 2.5" R.E. lift, 31" Swamper SSR's, Olympic Rock bumper, smashed Stainless exhaust, U-bolt skids, Warn M-8000 winch.
'08 Liberty: (wife's DD)

Jeremy

• View Profile
« Reply #685 on: February 20, 2010, 01:47:39 pm »

I replaced the carb and fuel pump just before the engine swap, I can not imagine that it is worn or crudded up already.  I need a exorcist, I can pay in beer. In addition to carb problems, the jeep still does not shut off at the ignition key,  I think     that the alternator wiring is fouled up some how.  This is moot because during the last snow fall, I had it running long enough to make a pass out of the driveway, where it shut down.  I then used the snow blower,  which broke its belt about 2/3 of the way through the snow removal job, It was then that I discovered that the keys for the flatfender dropped off the key ring and are out in the yard somewhere,  I really hope that I did not suck them into the snowblower and blow them into oblivion somewhere. (it was NOT a good day)  I have a good friend that has a metal detector that will look for them when the snow melts.  In the mean time, I'm ghetto starting it, with a nail in the slot.  Here is the brand new carb and fuel pump,  Also replaced most of the fuel lines and the fuel filter, when I swapped in the motor.  I think it is possessed by new parts and the old jeep is having organ rejection.  Either than or my fuel tank is full of rust and crap and my fuel lines are junk too,  very possible now that I think about it.

On the more PITA side (ask me how I know  >:() the offset lobe on the cam shaft that operates the fuel pump lever may be badly worn. In this case, it's just not going to pump up enough fuel when you move the throttle past idle speed. 

la la la la la LA, I can't hear you   Thanks, 

The CB install goes smoothly,  Not wanting to drill holes in a jeep I am still paying for and having a extra double hook shelf bracket left over from hanging shelves in my room I had a blinding flash of insight! OUCH!  I knocked the last hole in each end of 48" bracket and hose clamped it across the cage top,  Then bolted the CB above it.  No holes!, no lost head room, no radio down where it is wet  or at risk of being kicked, no radio interfering with seat adjustment,  CHEAP,  BRILLIANT.
Jeremy Meehan

chasm

• Blonde / Bomber...
    • View Profile
    • JeepChasm
« Reply #686 on: February 21, 2010, 11:29:54 am »
Jeremy: Looks like you swapped in a Solex carb in the Willys.  :-\ I can't give you a good word on those. Everyone that I know who tried one went back to the old Carter carb after a while. Seems that the Solex has issues with running real rich... I have also heard that they suck down an inordinate amount of gas. I have my original Carter W/O in a box in my garage since I lucked upon a NOS one for the 3A. We could try my spare on yours to see if the carb is the problem. (Can't let you keep it, but it would help rule out a couple things!)

BTW: I would definitely empty the gas tank and see if there is crap in the bottom clogging up the fuel lines. Maybe blow some compressed air backwards and see what comes out.  :o With the way those old tank are designed, everything on the bottom goes right into the fuel line... rust, dirt, little metal filings from when you drill holes for your new fuel sender, etc.  >:(
Mike Hardesty aka: "chasm"
'51 CJ3A: Restored Garage Queen
'83 CJ8 Scrambler: To Do List...
'93 YJ: 2.5" R.E. lift, 31" Swamper SSR's, Olympic Rock bumper, smashed Stainless exhaust, U-bolt skids, Warn M-8000 winch.
'08 Liberty: (wife's DD)

MUDDY

• Jon Vasellas
    • View Profile
« Reply #687 on: February 21, 2010, 07:56:04 pm »
In the process of taking the lift and everything else off the 88 xj. And putting it on my recently bought 89 wagoneer. Will post some pics of the new jeep. But i have to take off the snow plow to put on the lift. can't beat it 700 with snow plow and runs and plow works great. what a deal this was.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2010, 10:28:42 pm by MUDDY »
98 grand cherokee mild liFT
97 CHEVY 3IN LIFT

Death Wobble

• Angie Zinn - Wall St. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #688 on: February 21, 2010, 08:09:37 pm »
Are you keeping the 88 XJ or selling it?
'88 XJ Limited:  4.5" ZONE lift, 32x11.5x15 BFG KM2s, JKS Quicker Discos, Kevin's Off Road rock rails.
'96 XJ Sport: 31x10.5 BFGs, 3" Rusty's lift.
Listen to Clutch.
(and your gut instincts)
CENSORSHIP IS UNAMERICAN!

Rusty XJ

• Rickie Wilson Jr.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #689 on: February 21, 2010, 09:38:18 pm »
Bought a set of Rubicon wheels for the ZJ from Baday2Day (Betty) and had to test fit them as soon as I got home. Still need about a 2" BB but they look good.

Rick Wilson Jr.
Is that DEATH WOBBLE or did we just enter Pennsylvania?
'95 XJ 2 Door, 4.0, 5spd, 7" random lift, 35x12.5 BFG ATs, 4.56 gears, Dana 44 Mini-spooled, Dana 30 w/ Detroit Truetrac and manual hubs, Bushwacker Flares, Warrior Front Bumper, JCR Rear Bumper, etc etc...