Author Topic: What did you do to your Jeep today?  (Read 714595 times)

Davew

• Jenn's On Board Mechanic
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your Jeep today?
« Reply #510 on: November 17, 2009, 06:34:54 pm »
Should have gone with you Mike it was a awesome day wayyy better than the one I had wallowing in the mud on my back. But funny how things work out we discovered Jenn's r/s rear axle bearing took a crap ,yes the other side to the one that pass her jeep a few weeks back, so had we'd been hitting those black trails hard all kind of bad things could have happened. You know, since you're going to have that engine mount out you might as well slip in a V8 ;D
Stupidity, if left untreated is self-correcting

chasm

• Blonde / Bomber...
    • View Profile
    • JeepChasm
« Reply #511 on: November 17, 2009, 10:28:53 pm »
No V8 for me! I don't want to start breaking all of that crap like Jenn does... I'm not married to a mechanic! ;)
Mike Hardesty aka: "chasm"
'51 CJ3A: Restored Garage Queen
'83 CJ8 Scrambler: To Do List...
'93 YJ: 2.5" R.E. lift, 31" Swamper SSR's, Olympic Rock bumper, smashed Stainless exhaust, U-bolt skids, Warn M-8000 winch.
'08 Liberty: (wife's DD)

Jeepnharleymomma

• Show Chairman
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #512 on: November 18, 2009, 06:18:22 am »
Wait a min I don't break anything, my stuffs just wore out :o....These past few months is the first time I have had any trouble with my rears... :-X I got plans for this winter, a garage, some rears, hard labor, when she rolls out of the garage she'll be like new again.

I can't wait for charlie to read this...
"Trail Boss" Jenn Watson
89 V8 Yj, some lift, some tires and some extras!
96 Cherokee Sport (Daves beater)
1947 CJ2-A

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly,Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that made you smile

chasm

• Blonde / Bomber...
    • View Profile
    • JeepChasm
« Reply #513 on: November 18, 2009, 10:59:45 am »
Yes, good point Jenn. I am quite positive that you had a good time wearing things out!  ::)
I am sure your front and rear will be in good shape in a few months! (I'm talking about the Jeep you pervs! But, I understand the "BootCamp" is paying off too!)  :-*
'93 YJ: 2.5" R.E. lift, 31" Swamper SSR's, Olympic Rock bumper, smashed Stainless exhaust, U-bolt skids, Warn M-8000 winch.

emgraz

• View Profile
« Reply #514 on: November 18, 2009, 03:29:34 pm »
ROTFLMFAO......

;D

Erica
Matt and Erica Graziosi

2000 Sahara with 3" BDS suspension lift, BFG mud terrain 33's, jks disconnects, Rhino Lining...(we're starting the JEEP mantra, we're emptying our pockets......)  ***Just added ARB Rocker Guards***

Charlie

• PA Jeeps-Vice President
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: November 18, 2009, 04:09:27 pm »
 ;)
Charlie "The Tuna" Stevens
2004 Wrangler Sport-4 1/2" BDS Suspension, 1 1/4" JKS Body Lift with 35" BFG's

Davew

• Jenn's On Board Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: November 18, 2009, 05:45:26 pm »
 ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
Stupidity, if left untreated is self-correcting

Ron Allen

• PA Jeeps B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: November 21, 2009, 07:05:39 pm »
Installed Rev 111,Now called Metal Cloak, Hi line flat fenders with 6" removable flares. Looks Good , the clearance is incredible!
03 Rubicon Way Modified
44 MB WWII restored
46 CJ2A Locked,injected,Ready
13 F350 Tow Rig

Charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #518 on: November 21, 2009, 08:08:42 pm »
Ron, those fenders are bad A$$ for sure, I can't wait to see them.

I'm working on getting my old bumper off...... the problem is the old hitch, had to cut off two bolts already.

I'm letting everything soak overnight with Blaster before I take a wrench to anything else.

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: November 22, 2009, 07:23:24 am »
I knew it was just going to be a matter of time until you got a set of those after seeing them on my CJ.
They are sweet!
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

Ron Allen

• PA Jeeps B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: November 22, 2009, 07:49:00 am »
Yea Rick that was the kicker, on the CJ. I hate the fact that all the TJ look the same . Had to be different. Jeremy at Cassidy Custom is buildin my front bumper, Small stinger with a radiator hoop and winch mount.
03 Rubicon Way Modified
44 MB WWII restored
46 CJ2A Locked,injected,Ready
13 F350 Tow Rig

N3IW

• View Profile
« Reply #521 on: November 22, 2009, 09:07:47 pm »
Got tired of the increasing squeak coming from the front axle so replaced the axle/wheel u-joints (actually finished the passenger side, ran out of daylight before yanking the driver's side axle out, I'll get that finished later this week).

Yes, Rick, I paid attention to the noises and they were different than what happened earlier this year with something stuck in the brake shield.  This was a constant squeal, not affected by engine speed and only slightly affected by road speed.  Was worse in cooler weather and would not be noticeable in warm weather or after the u-joints had gotten sufficiently hot.  But, what I noticed a while before I heard noises was the steering would occasionally act like it was in 4WD even though it wasn't - tire chirping and all.

When I removed the passenger axle, the outer axle and inner axle stayed perfectly aligned and I had a heck of a time moving them by hand.  The old u-joint was dry and shot.  Rust had even begun in 1 or 2 of the bearings :(  Let's just say, these things were due for replacement!  I believe they were original, so 126,000+ miles isn't too bad.   That did make it lots of fun to drive the bearing caps out, but Liquid Wrench in the spray can helped a lot with the clip rings.

If you've never had the pleasure  ??? of replacing the wheel u-joints, this is not a job you want to tackle on the trail unless you have an on-board mechanic like Jenn.  We abuse these things on the trail by dunking them in water and mud and there's only a little flimsy rubber seal to try to hold some grease.  And I don't think they make a grease fitting version for the axle/wheel joints (at least not that I could find and there may not be any room for a zerk fitting anyway).

Pay heed to changes in steering feel and any noise from the axle area.  Change them before they go on the trail.

Even with reasonable tools and a flat work area, I still slipped with the 12 pound sledge and the 1 3/8 socket I was using as an arbor and took a big chunk (literally) out of my left hand.  :o  I'm going to feel that for while and it makes it hard to type. :'(

Chip Morgan

2000 Wrangler TJ Sport - minor lift + 1.25" BL on 33s; many, many skid plates with more to come

Charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #522 on: November 23, 2009, 07:15:01 am »
Installed the Garvin rear bumper with tire carrier.

I really like it! ;D ;D

Also wired the third brake light.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2009, 12:13:45 pm by Charlie »

chasm

• Blonde / Bomber...
    • View Profile
    • JeepChasm
« Reply #523 on: November 24, 2009, 01:45:26 pm »
Well... I didn't do anything to a Jeep today, but I brought home a 1947 Bantam trailer on Sunday!  ;D
(Bantam produced one of the early 'Jeep' prototypes. They also produced the 2 single axle trailers pulled behind the military Jeeps. After WW2, Bantam continued to make the same trailers for the civilian market with a tailgate, instead of the amphibious version.)

Charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #524 on: November 24, 2009, 04:14:39 pm »
Mike.

I'd like some pictures posted of the trailer.....please. ;)