Author Topic: What did you do to your Jeep today?  (Read 709749 times)

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your Jeep today?
« Reply #465 on: October 29, 2009, 03:44:49 pm »

Just for Sh**s and giggles, I went to an Auto Paint store the other day, in Lemoyne, and said " Hey, I need some custom color paint mixed up, I'm gonna paint my plastic fender flares and I need it to stick to it real good", he said 'you'll need an Adhesion Promoter, this will bond to the plastic and the paint will bond to this" I said "that sounds all fine and dandy, but I really don't feel like getting a spray gun so I'd like ALL this stuff in Rattle Cans", he said " NO problem, I'll have it ready in about 15 minutes"

Now I know you're thinking that ole Tattoo must've been standing too close to the paint thinner again. Well I say to that... NO I WASN'T, I gave up sniffin' that stuff (at least a week, or two, ago. I think...)  Anyway... where was I? OH Yeah paint sniffing, I mean flare PAINTING, that's it. There's one of these here stores in York bapspaint.com/ So check 'em out. And... If that "racing" van annoys you like it did me, just Right click it, and un-check "Play" and it'll stop. So you're asking was it cheap? Hail no, but it WAS a heck of a lot cheaper then having them painted at a shop, and still cheaper then buying a spray gun, cleaning kit, etc. There was no minimum, could've just got one can. It'll cost me just over $60, with lots of Adhesion Promoter left over and paint left over for touch ups.

The Lemoyne store is where I bought the DX330 prep wash (great for cleaning Raw steel) and (in a Rattle Can) the Self Etching primer that I used for my Rock Sliders.

Tattoo 8)

The only way to know your limits...  is to surpass them!

Don't Shop - Adopt
   "Save Your Best Friends Life, Adopt a Rescue"
       If it's not a Dobermann, it's just a Dawg...

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #466 on: October 29, 2009, 05:37:09 pm »
Jack,

I've heard and witnessed work utilizing the Krylon "plastic" aerosol can stuff. From what I saw it is considerably cheaper than what you quoted and contains the adhesive materials within the can.
You are required to clean the plastic with a mild soap and water (dawn is reccommended) prior to painting.
Just thought I'd mention what I heard and have seen. I've never used it, but was planning to on the outside plastic lawn chairs next Spring.
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: October 29, 2009, 05:58:10 pm »
  You'll have to let everyone know how it turns out. I've already got the paint so I'm committed (not comments) to using these. But still, BAPS is still good for getting the other products I mentioned for prepping Raw steel.

Tatt  :(

Don't Shop - Adopt

Death Wobble

• Angie Zinn - Wall St. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #468 on: October 29, 2009, 06:09:06 pm »
My store sells the Krylon Fusion spray paint.  We used it on our dirty old shop flatbed carts and never even prepped first.  It hasn't worn off!

I'd like to paint the Jeep this House of Kolor shade (Burple), or maybe just a flamejob of it.  For the money, I'd probably be afraid to even drive it to work then! 
'88 XJ Limited:  4.5" ZONE lift, 32x11.5x15 BFG KM2s, JKS Quicker Discos, Kevin's Off Road rock rails.
'96 XJ Sport: 31x10.5 BFGs, 3" Rusty's lift.
Listen to Clutch.
(and your gut instincts)
CENSORSHIP IS UNAMERICAN!

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #469 on: October 29, 2009, 06:15:56 pm »
Jack,

What you purchased may have more of a hardening material within it that makes the cost higher?
But most flares are somewhat flexable to if the paint has too much "hardening" is could crack and flake upon brushing a tree.

Like I said, I just witnessed the work, never had the opportunity to see what it does against the elements of a tree.
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #470 on: October 29, 2009, 06:51:48 pm »
  You have to remember, the paint I got is an exact match of my trim color. Does Krylon have that color?   Hopefully, when I'm done it'll look like factory flares. Fusion paint is KOOL 8)

Don't Shop - Adopt

Davew

• Jenn's On Board Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #471 on: October 29, 2009, 07:47:05 pm »
I was at the auto paint store a few weeks back and was talking about the stuff they mix up and put in the rattle cans. It definitely has more hardener in it as compared to the shelf stuff. . It was 25.00 a can. For the stuff I was painting I'd rather use the cheaper stuff 5.00 a can . I'll have to see how it holds up. For exterior I'd spring for the more expensive paint. I know for plastic parts, bumper and such they add a flex agent to it so it won't crack so easily.
Stupidity, if left untreated is self-correcting

Davew

• Jenn's On Board Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #472 on: October 30, 2009, 05:04:24 pm »
I forgot. I finished putting Jenn's frt. axle together yesterday she did most of the work but i just got tired of seeing it in the driveway on jack stands. I eliminated the split axle  Jenn noticed the feel of the frt driveshaft  spinning right away.
Stupidity, if left untreated is self-correcting

Death Wobble

• Angie Zinn - Wall St. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #473 on: October 30, 2009, 08:10:01 pm »
The rock rails are ON and DONE!  No photos yet--I just wanted to share the good news right away!  Thankfully, my dad likes my Jeep project and owns a ton of tools!   8)
'88 XJ Limited:  4.5" ZONE lift, 32x11.5x15 BFG KM2s, JKS Quicker Discos, Kevin's Off Road rock rails.
'96 XJ Sport: 31x10.5 BFGs, 3" Rusty's lift.
Listen to Clutch.
(and your gut instincts)
CENSORSHIP IS UNAMERICAN!

Scott Gibson

• View Profile
« Reply #474 on: November 01, 2009, 12:44:42 am »
Drove it on the beach.

Colli

• Newsletter Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #475 on: November 01, 2009, 10:40:49 am »
I used Krylon black fusion paint on my fender flares. If you have seen my Jeep you'll see that you can't even really tell they have been painted. It looks good enough and has help up fine. No cracking or chipping. It is easy to touch up too if you get tree branches scratch marks and such on the trail. The only problem I had was that some gas spilled out when I was filling up once and the gas made the paint blister in one spot. But I was able to just sand it down and touch that up too.
Colli Leighton
1967 Jeepster Commando Pick Up - work in progress
2000 TJ - trail rig (ample lift, 35" MTZs, 8.8 rear, 4.88 gears, 12 different soft tops)
2012 Ram 2500HD Crew Cab - tow rig
2015 Cherokee - grocery getter
Trailer - to tow my Jeeps around

Colli

• Newsletter Editor
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: November 01, 2009, 10:44:18 am »
I had Tuna and Kentucky Steve over for a CB installation day yesterday. Charlie and Steve were able to get my antenna mounted and CB installed and wired. So I'll have my "ears on" when out on the trails. Yes Jenn, you will have to quit talking about me now.... I can hear you!!  :P
Colli Leighton
1967 Jeepster Commando Pick Up - work in progress
2000 TJ - trail rig (ample lift, 35" MTZs, 8.8 rear, 4.88 gears, 12 different soft tops)
2012 Ram 2500HD Crew Cab - tow rig
2015 Cherokee - grocery getter
Trailer - to tow my Jeeps around

emgraz

• View Profile
« Reply #477 on: November 02, 2009, 12:16:58 pm »
Matt had to "physically" goto work today in Hunt Valley...sooooo

HE DROVE HIS JEEP TO WORK!!!!   

LMAO.....

Erica
Matt and Erica Graziosi

2000 Sahara with 3" BDS suspension lift, BFG mud terrain 33's, jks disconnects, Rhino Lining...(we're starting the JEEP mantra, we're emptying our pockets......)  ***Just added ARB Rocker Guards***

Jeremy

• View Profile
« Reply #478 on: November 02, 2009, 03:12:05 pm »
I got the '46 started!  First we set it on fire with  a backfire + inopportune starting fluid.  Put that out with out real harm,  Then put gas into the gas tank (DOH)  Then by gosh it fired up,  Smoked like mad,  Blew out a heater hose (age split, knew I should have replaced it)  But she is running,  Next on the agenda,  figure out why it won't shut off.
Jeremy Meehan

etaucher

• View Profile
« Reply #479 on: November 04, 2009, 04:00:42 pm »
Installed an old fog light that I had laying around. I hooked it up so when I throw it in reverse, I have a brighter light :D
......Keep on Trucking......
-----------------------------------------
1993 Jeep Wrangler, 4.0L, Auto, 2" Shackle Lift, 31x10.50R15
-----------------------------------------
Edward Taucher