Author Topic: What did you do to your Jeep today?  (Read 709531 times)

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
Re: What did you do to your Jeep today?
« Reply #60 on: June 06, 2009, 06:38:09 pm »
Well, this is kinda funny what happened today. Normally I just start it on the trailer and leave it at that.
However, I managed to get the entire lawn cut, grill some awesome chicken for dinner and then see if she would start.
The Ole' 5 started right up and then I got the itch to drive it off the trailer and take it around back for a short and sweet spin.
The lawn is still saturated from all the rain but she crept right down the hill around the side of the house down to the tree line.
Then I was checking out the stream for a crossing to play since I got it this far.
Right across she went with a little throttle....Doh', that might be more of a challenge coming back I thought.
Sure enough it was. Coming back across she stood straight up due to a log wedged under the water line.
Yes, I did get out and take a look and felt she would come down after a "pucker-factor" climb over it. Was about a 4' round log down in there.
Hot damn.....She went up, I held her there creaping slowly up but she never came down front end first...Dropped her over on her side against the muddy creek bank.
Now I can't get out, Nancy is in the house not knowing where I am....I'm really laughing at this point.
I managed to crawl out the passenger side and pull the winch cable to stabilize it and get back in and drive back across.
That was a nice 70 minutes of my day and never left my own property.
I come back up to the trailer as Nancy is walking Ernie (our dog) and askes where I was..........I'm NOT telling that story to her.
It's hard to tell if it has any damage. Being it's "tweeked" every direction I really can't tell. The soft top did take some damage.
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

chasm

• Blonde / Bomber...
    • View Profile
    • JeepChasm
« Reply #61 on: June 07, 2009, 09:28:27 am »
That's a great story Rick... wish I was there with my camera! ;D
Mike Hardesty aka: "chasm"
'51 CJ3A: Restored Garage Queen
'83 CJ8 Scrambler: To Do List...
'93 YJ: 2.5" R.E. lift, 31" Swamper SSR's, Olympic Rock bumper, smashed Stainless exhaust, U-bolt skids, Warn M-8000 winch.
'08 Liberty: (wife's DD)

Charlie

• PA Jeeps-Vice President
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: June 07, 2009, 09:54:43 am »
Look at all the gas you saved by "siding" it in your back yard and not at R/C.   :P

It is a good story.

I watched Matthew wash his Jeep and then I put some tire shine on mine. Oh, I put an new air filter in too.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2010, 07:57:46 am by Charlie »
Charlie "The Tuna" Stevens
2004 Wrangler Sport-4 1/2" BDS Suspension, 1 1/4" JKS Body Lift with 35" BFG's

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: June 07, 2009, 10:08:23 am »
To be honest....I'm glad I was alone since it was a stupid thing to do.
Nothing was hurt but my ego (like that's never happened before) even though I couldn't stop laughing throughout.
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: June 07, 2009, 09:20:14 pm »
today i repaired the tierod i bent yesterday while playing with the folks from rausch at carlisle, was a fun time big pile of rocks and lots of fords (duh).
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

Jeepnharleymomma

• Show Chairman
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: June 11, 2009, 09:19:31 am »
Dave tryed to get the breaks working on the Willys while I worked last night.
"Trail Boss" Jenn Watson
89 V8 Yj, some lift, some tires and some extras!
96 Cherokee Sport (Daves beater)
1947 CJ2-A

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly,Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that made you smile

chasm

• Blonde / Bomber...
    • View Profile
    • JeepChasm
« Reply #66 on: June 11, 2009, 10:44:15 am »
Dave tryed to get the breaks working on the Willys while I worked last night.

That's funny Jenn!  :D

The CJ2A came with a single cylinder master and 9" drums... even when in perfect working order, you still have to "plan" your stops!
I had to replace the master cylinder, brake lines, wheel cylinders, and shoes on mine... and turn the drums. Hopefully Dave has a puller for those rear drums, cuz they don't just pop off! :(
'93 YJ: 2.5" R.E. lift, 31" Swamper SSR's, Olympic Rock bumper, smashed Stainless exhaust, U-bolt skids, Warn M-8000 winch.

hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #67 on: June 11, 2009, 04:18:22 pm »
drivers door fell off the xj.have to figure that one out.
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."

Jeepnharleymomma

• Show Chairman
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: June 11, 2009, 04:33:51 pm »
LOL Hillbilly thats funny! How did that happen?
"Trail Boss" Jenn Watson
89 V8 Yj, some lift, some tires and some extras!
96 Cherokee Sport (Daves beater)
1947 CJ2-A

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly,Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that made you smile

chasm

• Blonde / Bomber...
    • View Profile
    • JeepChasm
« Reply #69 on: June 11, 2009, 06:01:42 pm »
drivers door fell off the xj.have to figure that one out.

PaLeeese!
What kinda Hillbilly is you?  ::) Everone a mah redneck buddies knos that them thar antlers shed once a year! :D

hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #70 on: June 11, 2009, 09:17:01 pm »
apparently xj are well known for the hinges being a bad design and letting go. there is a telltale hint there bad when you have to lift up to close them and the additional height and gravity doesnt help and having to kick it open and it just fell off. its better now i put it back on latched it and crawl over the pass seat.

CJ8Ted

• View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 11, 2009, 10:01:26 pm »
I know you XJ guys want to take your doors off, but I din't know the XJ's had any say in it. ;D ;D ;D

I'm still in mock-up stage, got an XJ front shaft, yoke for the T-case, new seal, made some brackets tonght hope to tack weld them up tomorrow.

Ted
85' CJ8 on 33s w/ 4.56s

chasm

• Blonde / Bomber...
    • View Profile
    • JeepChasm
« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2009, 04:19:56 pm »
I managed to ruin my front bumper, bend a shackle, and break the rear eye of a leaf spring on Saturday! :o No, I was not out wheeling the YJ without you all. The carnage was to the Willys! :'( Sad, but true... I was getting her ready for The Great Willys Picnic up in Lansford, PA and had to check to make sure the front hubs were free wheeling before the long flat tow. Jacked up each side to spin and check. Noticed front right brake was dragging. No biggie. Adjusted the brakes and set her back on the ground. Put the tow bar on and used a big bungee to hold it up while I backed her out of the garage for the hook-up. Not so brilliant idea: Drive 100 yds down street and turn around to make sure brakes work okay. Slow down in front of my house and the bungee lets loose and the tow bar digs into the pavement! :o HOLY MOTHER OF JEEPSUS! Well, obviously the CJ3A popped a wheelie and resulted in the aforementioned carnage. >:( My wife didn't even feel the need to call me a dumb a$$, as that was already clearly apparent! :-[

On the bright side, I will be retiring the saggy 58 year old springs and shackles and installing new American made reproductions. I'm going to go ahead and replace the rear springs too, so I don't have all of the weight shifted to the old rear springs. The price for my stupidity: About $600 in parts. My labor will serve as additional punishment! ;)

BTW: The new bumper will have a tab and locking pin welded on to reduce the chances of future stupidity! ;)

Death Wobble

• Angie Zinn - Wall St. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 15, 2009, 04:30:35 pm »
Oh, MAN...that's harsh!  At least it's repairable and nobody got hurt.   :-\
'88 XJ Limited:  4.5" ZONE lift, 32x11.5x15 BFG KM2s, JKS Quicker Discos, Kevin's Off Road rock rails.
'96 XJ Sport: 31x10.5 BFGs, 3" Rusty's lift.
Listen to Clutch.
(and your gut instincts)
CENSORSHIP IS UNAMERICAN!

Charlie

• PA Jeeps-Vice President
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 15, 2009, 09:49:35 pm »
Mike, I don't know what to say! 8)

I put put new brake pads all the way around, the four wheel disc is sweet.

The rotors are still very good so I just scuffed them up with the die grinder, cleaned them and re-installed.

I did have to work a bit to get all the mud out of the rotor vents.   ::) Now they should run cooler. :)

Ironic: I also broke my breaker bar today. :-\
Charlie "The Tuna" Stevens
2004 Wrangler Sport-4 1/2" BDS Suspension, 1 1/4" JKS Body Lift with 35" BFG's