Author Topic: Roadway Work Zone Safety  (Read 9642 times)

Storman

• Safety/Medical Advisor
  • Norm Eckard
    • View Profile
Roadway Work Zone Safety
« on: April 16, 2009, 04:39:40 pm »
                                                                Roadway Work Zone Safety

As is with every spring, the orange barrels come out on our roadways for repair of dilapidated roads and bridges. These work zones are a high hazard work location. In 2007 the National Safety Council reported that there were 835 people killed and 41,475 people injured in crashes in these work zones. Of the 835 people that died, 644 occurred in construction zones while the rest occurred in other roadway zones such as maintenance or utility activities.
Based on NSC information there are 35 states which have work zone laws, while 49 states have special penalties for traffic violations in work zones.
We are all responsible for driving, biking and walking through these work zones to make transition through these areas as safe and orderly as possible. Here are some tips in making this happen.

1. Expect the unexpected – Normal speed limits may be reduced, traffic lanes may be changed and people may be working near the road.

2. Slow down – Speeding is one of the main causes of work zone crashes.

3. Do Not Tailgate – Keep a safe distance from the car in front of you. This is the main reason for work zone accidents.

4. Keep a safe distance from your vehicle and construction workers and their equipment.

5. Pay attention to the signs.

6. Obey road crew flaggers.

7. Stay calm and minimize distractions – Dedicate your full attention to the roadway and avoid changing radio stations or using the cell phone.

8. Be patient and stay calm – The work zone crew workers are working to improve the
roadway which will make your future drive better.

9. Plan you travel path. Expect delays.

submitted by SL Breeden
-Provided by National Safety Council-
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 11:26:49 am by Rick_Bear »
2006 Wrangler Golden Eagle Edition w/3" BDS lift, BFG 33X10.50's, Warn front and rear bumpers, Warn 9.5ti winch and a whole lot more...

2009 Wrangler Unlimited X = Stella's DD

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
Re: Roadway Work Zone Safety
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2009, 08:07:47 am »
just two more roadway issues that irk the heck out of me and are a major safety issue. that little flashy light on th edash is not disfunctional its supposed to do that dont be afraid to use it, and if your wipers are on please turn your lights on its easier to see you before i run people over.
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

Storman

• Safety/Medical Advisor
  • Norm Eckard
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2009, 09:23:40 am »
The Wipers On....Lights On Law went into effect in January 2007.  It's amazing to see how many people still don't know about this.

In FL they have signs posted on the roads I first saw them in 1990.  It just makes good sense.
2006 Wrangler Golden Eagle Edition w/3" BDS lift, BFG 33X10.50's, Warn front and rear bumpers, Warn 9.5ti winch and a whole lot more...

2009 Wrangler Unlimited X = Stella's DD

Death Wobble

• Angie Zinn - Wall St. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2009, 04:31:25 pm »
In Canada, you have to drive with your lights on ALL the time!
'88 XJ Limited:  4.5" ZONE lift, 32x11.5x15 BFG KM2s, JKS Quicker Discos, Kevin's Off Road rock rails.
'96 XJ Sport: 31x10.5 BFGs, 3" Rusty's lift.
Listen to Clutch.
(and your gut instincts)
CENSORSHIP IS UNAMERICAN!

SteveTheFolkie

• To live is to fly, all alone and high
    • View Profile
    • Steves music site
« Reply #4 on: December 23, 2010, 11:11:35 am »
Not work zone related - but when there are vehicles on the shoulder - move over to the left as far as you can.  I failed to shift to the left lane on Route 15 in Adams County while passing a police officer and a citizen pulled over to the shoulder - a bit later I got pulled over by a police officer and was invited to donate $135.00 to the municipal coffers for failing to shift left - not sure when the law went into effect and I didn't receive any points on my license but this was a lesson learned for me and makes a lot of sense.