Author Topic: On Going PA State Forest work. Please thank PA Rep. Boyd.  (Read 9220 times)

ddechri

• View Profile
On Going PA State Forest work. Please thank PA Rep. Boyd.
« on: February 23, 2009, 01:15:36 pm »
No, I haven't given up yet, although the outlook is still very dim.

First off, here is a link to the full public comments as the Bureau of Forestry summarized them:
http://www.dcnr.state.pa.us/forestry/sfrmp/Public_Comment_Summary_2007.pdf

The good news is, the voice of the 4x4 enthusiast was heard and documented:

"...Off Highway Vehicles (OHV), Dirtbike-motorcross, and street legal motorcycles.
The 2007 SFRMP Update Process generated numerous comments from additional motorized sports groups interested in seeking access to recreational opportunities on the state forest system.

As a group, these public comment participants felt that designating trail systems that could be available for their pursuits and collecting registration fees from their use represented a compatible and desirable addition to DCNR’s outdoor recreation programming.

Frequently emphasized themes included:
• The generation of additional revenues to the agency and positive economic stimuli to state and local economies from increased utilization of existing recreational infrastructure
• Willingness to cooperate with other user groups and the agency to develop user guidelines and designated areas that would align these pursuits to the overall goals and constraints of the agency
• Perceived cultural and social value of increasing the range of activities available to connect people to nature and the out-of-doors
• Provide positive outdoor alternatives for youth that could compete with indoor activities like video games ...."

The bad news is that it hasn't changed much:

" ... DCNR’s response to Comments Received on Recreational Issues:

Opportunities for Night Sky, OHV, and Street Legal Motorcycle enthusiasts:
Improved public use maps with clearer definitions for vehicular travel on the state forest road and drivable trail system will soon be available to better identify existing opportunities for OHV and street legal motorcycles within the state forest system...."

Essentially, they are going to print new maps so we know where we can't be. While this is an important step towards being able to police illegal activity, it really doesn't recongnize the efforts of organized 4x4 enthusiasts to work with the BoF to develop legal places to go.

Fall '08, I contacted PA Representative Scott Boyd http://www.repboyd.com/with concern over my efforts going unheard and the BoF's unwillingness to even talk to me. He agreed to look into the matter and meet with the head of the Recreation Sector of the BoF. He did and his aide sent me a map that the BoF gave them. It's huge, covering the whole state with every road and driveable trail marked. It's a nice thought, but there are no names or references on it anywhere. When I spoke to Rep. Boyd about the meeting he said, "It went the way you would expect it to, I walked in, they told me they have opened everything they can based on liability concerns, and then the meeting was over." He did mention that they know who I am which means I must be making some kind of impression.

My response was that I couldn't understand how 4x4 recreation can have liability concerns when compared to ATV use and even hunting for that matter. By law, we even have to carry liability insurance. Rep. Boyd said he was willing to give it another shot. A couple weeks ago I gave him a packet with many of my notes on the subject comparing the ATV and 4x4 usage, the dangers, the inconsistant development plans, the lack on inclusion, etc.

I'm not sure if he has made his second approach or not, but I ask that everyone send his office sboyd@pahousegop.com a quick email of thanks for his efforts. Not only will this show him that his efforts are appreciated, but it will give some indication that there is more than just me that cares about this issue. Please copy me on your email at ddechri@yahoo.com so I have an idea what impact we may be having.

Short of this effort, I'm not sure what we can do till the next update in 2012. Hopefully by then we'll be prepared to overrun that set of public meetings.

- Dave
Dave DeChristopher
'79 CJ-7: 4.0L, T18, bronco geared Dana 20, D30/D44 (locked), Warn 8274
'60 Willys PU: IH 304 V8, wide T19, Dana 18, OD, PTO Winch, SOA D44/D53(Power Lock) w/4.27's, 33's,
'68 CJ5 - Dauntless, SM420 (project)
'98 Dodge Ram 2500 12V CTD QC LWB
"Where ever I go, there's I AM"

ddechri

• View Profile
Re: On Going PA State Forest work. Please thank PA Rep. Boyd.
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 08:05:54 am »
By the way, when you write to any government official, it is always a good idea to include your name and address.
That way they know that you do indeed exist and that you are in someone's constituency.

Use the term 4x4 recreation so as not to be confused with ATV's.

Capitalization and punctuation will keep us from looking like a bunch of rednecks, even if we are.

Thanks again,

- Dave
Dave DeChristopher
'79 CJ-7: 4.0L, T18, bronco geared Dana 20, D30/D44 (locked), Warn 8274
'60 Willys PU: IH 304 V8, wide T19, Dana 18, OD, PTO Winch, SOA D44/D53(Power Lock) w/4.27's, 33's,
'68 CJ5 - Dauntless, SM420 (project)
'98 Dodge Ram 2500 12V CTD QC LWB
"Where ever I go, there's I AM"

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
Re: On Going PA State Forest work. Please thank PA Rep. Boyd.
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 02:45:09 pm »
and trust me i are one....
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7