Author Topic: Drilled and Slotted Rotors ?  (Read 7678 times)

Charlie

• PA Jeeps-Vice President
    • View Profile
Drilled and Slotted Rotors ?
« on: December 27, 2008, 09:40:47 am »
Having trouble with with the front rotors warping on Matthews XJ. You can feel the brake pedal oscillating going down hills, we just replaced them with Auto Zone rotors and they warped again.

Will a set of drilled and slotted rotors cure this problem???

Charlie
Charlie "The Tuna" Stevens
2004 Wrangler Sport-4 1/2" BDS Suspension, 1 1/4" JKS Body Lift with 35" BFG's

Rusty XJ

• Rickie Wilson Jr.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: Drilled and Slotted Rotors ?
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2008, 01:45:32 pm »
Might be the Autozone rotors. At Red Lion Chevrolet we put a few sets of those on and they were pulsating on the first run. Word from the grape vine is the cheaper rotors are the same as the pricier ones from them but they are the rejects. The guy from Autozone told us once when we complained about the pulsation from a new rotor that they require machining before installing. Even the premiums come back within a week with pulsation complaints, whether we turn them or not. Bottom line, in my opinion, Autozone parts are cheaply made junk.

On another note, my truck had Napa cross drilled(dimpled) and slotted when I got it. They were brand new about 3 months prior to buying it and it pulsated. It's a Dakota and had 33s on it at the time but in my opinion they are about useless for the price you pay for them. I was going to buy them for my XJ before getting this truck but people told me horror stories about getting mud in the holes and causing all kinds of havoc. Luckily I scored a set of normal Mopar ones still sealed in the boxes from Craigslist for $50. Usually when we have a Jeep in the shop and call between Napa and Fischel, it's cheaper to buy Fischel's. They have specials on Rotor/Pad combos a lot fo times. For the one 01 Grand Cherokee it was like $100 for the whole package.

Hope some of this helps you out.
Rick Wilson Jr.
Is that DEATH WOBBLE or did we just enter Pennsylvania?
'95 XJ 2 Door, 4.0, 5spd, 7" random lift, 35x12.5 BFG ATs, 4.56 gears, Dana 44 Mini-spooled, Dana 30 w/ Detroit Truetrac and manual hubs, Bushwacker Flares, Warrior Front Bumper, JCR Rear Bumper, etc etc...

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2008, 09:02:01 pm »
had that problem beore with the mud and slop in the holes got a rock stuck in one at the mafwda ride at rausch couldnt sneak up on a jet plane til i tore it all apart and pulled it out.   threw some factory ones back on after that
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

Charlie

• PA Jeeps-Vice President
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2008, 06:45:42 am »
Thanks,

I appreciate the advise.

Charlie
Charlie "The Tuna" Stevens
2004 Wrangler Sport-4 1/2" BDS Suspension, 1 1/4" JKS Body Lift with 35" BFG's

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2009, 12:05:24 pm »

JMO... but I think Slotted or Drilled Rotors for Off-Roading isn't a good idea. But my experience with Rotors (or any brake parts for that matter) is BUY name brand (top shelf) components! Sure I pay A LOT more, but we ARE talking about brakes :o

Tattoo 8)

The only way to know your limits...  is to surpass them!

Don't Shop - Adopt
   "Save Your Best Friends Life, Adopt a Rescue"
       If it's not a Dobermann, it's just a Dawg...

SteveTheFolkie

• To live is to fly, all alone and high
    • View Profile
    • Steves music site
« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2009, 05:29:44 pm »
The purpose behind drilling or slotting a brake rotor is to get rid of a boundary layer of gasses that can build up under heavy braking, think running an autocross or taking some hot laps in a sports car.  Unless you're taking your Jeep to Pocono and running laps of the street course I can't see any advantage to slotted or drilled rotors.  As a side note, drilled rotors that aren't done correctly can chunk - I experienced this on a VW Scirocco I owned years ago - at an elevated speed it's not one of lifes finer moments (although it is memorable!) -
Anyhow - high quality brake components - check those hard and soft lines for rust, splits or cracks - flush your hydraulic system once a year and all should be well - if you seem to warp more rotors than normal (whatever "normal" is) you might try fabricating some cold air ductwork to force air onto the rotors (from under the front bumper, for example) - of course - if you ever take the Jeep offroad expect the ducts to disappear ...

Enjoy

Steve