Author Topic: Pa - Fairview Township, York (ATTEND AND DEFEAT THIS...!)  (Read 28234 times)

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
Pa - Fairview Township, York (ATTEND AND DEFEAT THIS...!)
« on: November 22, 2008, 12:15:14 am »
Just forewarding to those in PA that can help to attend and say NO...!!!!!!

December 1st, all area OHV enthusiasts need to attend this township meeting. Below, please find the original letter sent out by Denny Mann of PAOHV. Once again we are involved in a fight to preserve our right
to recreate on our own property in Pennsylvania. York County seems to be the epicenter of this controversy with eight anti-OHV ordinances going to vote to date. So far we have successfully defeated three of
these ANTI OHV ordinances, but the list continues.
     The next battleground is Fairview Township, York County. Often townships already have ordinances in place to protect residents against trespassing, noise, and dust generated by neighbors; Fairview Township is no
exception. The present Township Ordinance Chapter 10, Part 3, http://www.twp.fairview.pa.us/2008ords/ pdffiles/2330-010.pdf , addresses just these issues. Yet, because of one angry neighbor these rules are not enough, and the township is willing to add a new chapter in exchange for his silence. The wise and fair alternative would be to adopt a simple dust ordinance to cover residents from undesirable nuisances. Then a resident could file a nuisance complaint without singling out a specific group such as the OHV enthusiasts.
     On December 1st @ 7:00 PM. Fairview Township supervisors will be meeting to discuss and vote on Ordinance 2008-11, which will unfairly impact residents who ride on their own property and turn recreating into a crime. We need everyone’s help. Your letters of support and attendance are desperately needed to defeat Ordinance 2008-11. Please mark the 1st on your calendars and come support the
residents of Fairview Township

Now, take a look at how absolutely ridiculous this ordinance is. An ordinance like this could conceivably shut down a place like Raucsh Creek.

ORDINANCE NO . 2008-11
FAIRVIEW TOWNSHIP
YORK COUNTY, PENNSYLVANIA

AN ORDINANCE REGULATING THE OPERATION AND USE OF RECREATIONAL VEHICLES WITHIN FAIRVIEW TOWNSHIP AND PROVIDING PENALTIES FOR VIOLATIONS WHEREASF, airview Township (Township) is a second class township, governed by the Second Class Township Code, 53 P.S. §65101 et seq., which authorizes the Township to adopt ordinances for the protection of the public health, safety, and welfare; and WHEREAS, the use and operation of recreational vehicles within Fairview Township may create a public nuisance and adversely affect the public's health, safety and welfare by the creation of excessive noise, dust and fumes; and WHEREAS, the purpose of this Ordinance is to provide for the reasonable regulation of recreational vehicles in Fairview Township so as to reduce noise and air pollution, protect the public's health, safety and welfare; and to provide for the peaceable and quiet enjoyment of property.

NOW, THEREFORE, BE IT ORDAINED AND ENACTED, and it is hereby ordained and enacted as follows:

SECTION 1: Definitions.

OCCUPANT - A Person who regularly resides on the property in question.
OWNER - Any Person who has legal or equitable title to the property on which a Recreational Vehicle is being operated.
PERSON - An individual, group of individuals,a partnership, firm, association or any other entity.

1 RECREATIONAL VEHICLE - All motorized vehicles, designed or re-designed or otherwise being used for off-road recreational use, including, but not limited to the following:
a. Motorcycles
b. Trail bikes
c. All terrain vehicles (A TV's)
d. Go carts
e. Snowmobiles
f. Trucks, sports utility vehicles (SUV's), and 4-wheel drive vehicles
g. Any other similar mechanized vehicle (excluding battery only operated vehicles)

The term "Recreational Vehicle" shall not include motorized vehicles for law enforcement, fire, emergency, military, or other authorized government purposes, or off-road motorized vehicles used as utility vehicles for agriculture, husbandry, lawn care, snow removal or business operations.

(OK, look at that for a moment. your snow blower, lawn mower, etc, which make just as much noise as an ATV or OHV.. or TRUCK... they are pointing at SUVs here, whether road legal or not.!! Its OK to use your lawn mower but not your ATV.)

SECTION 2: Operation and Use of Recreational Vehicles on Private Property.
The following regulations shall apply for the use of a Recreational Vehicle on private real property:

A. Owner or Occupant. Only the Owner, Occupant, permitted guests and family may operate a Recreational Vehicle on private real property subject to the restrictions outlined herein.
B. Setback Requirements.

1. A Person operating a Recreational Vehicle must remain at least three hundred (300) feet from any property line, including property road frontage and associated roadway right-of-way lines, unless written permission has been obtained by the adjoining property owner to operate the recreational vehicle within any reduced setback, and with any mutually agreed terms and conditions.
(Hey people, this means you can't operate your own truck in your own yard or driveway if its closer than 300 feet from your neighbors, unless you have written permission.!!)

2. It shall not be a violation of this Section to operate a Recreational Vehicle within the required setback for purposes of ingress and egress from or onto a driveway.
C. Additional Restrictions. (These are all bad)

1. No more than four (4) Recreational Vehicles may be operated at the same time. (This one could shut down any of the OHV parks out there)
2. A person may operate a Recreational Vehicle only between the hours of 9:00. a.m. and 7:00 p.m., prevailing time.
3. An operator or operators may ride a Recreational Vehicle for no longer than a total of one (1) hour at a time with two (2) hour rest period between the next operation of a Recreational Vehicle.

D. Dust. A person shall not generate or permit to be generated as a result of the use or operation of any Recreational Vehicle any dust which crossesover onto an adjoining or adjacent property that will interfere with the reasonable enjoyment of the residential use of the property, either inside or outside.

E. Equipment Exhaust. All Recreational Vehicles shall be fitted with the original equipment exhaust while in operation.

F. Environmentally Sensitive Areas. NO Person shall operate, allow or permit the operation of a Recreational Vehicle within a stream, creek, waterway, drainage-way, wetland, or erosion sensitive areas, or within fifty (50) feet of such environmentally sensitive areas.

G. Livestock. No Person shall operate, allow or permit the operation of a Recreational Vehicle within five hundred (500) feet of any type of livestock.

SECTION 3: Operation and Use of a Recreational Vehicle on Township Property.
No Person shall operate a Recreational Vehicle on Township property without the express written consent of the Township. (UUUMMM, aren't town roads township property? They are telling you that you can't operate your truck or SUV on township property )

SECTION 4: Enforcement and Penalty.
A. Violations a Public Nuisance; Persons Liable. A violation of this Ordinance shall be deemed a public nuisance, and shall subject the Owner of the property and/or any Person operating a Recreational Vehicle in violation of this Ordinance to summary enf
orcement proceedings. The Fairview Township Police, the Pennsylvania State Police, the Fairview Township Zoning Officer. the Fairview Township Codes Administration Director, and such other persons as may from time to time be designated by the Township are authorized to make a determination of violation of, and to enforce, the provisions of this Ordinance.

B. Enforcement; First Offense. An initial determination of a violation of this Ordinance shall result in a verbal warning to the Occupant, or Owner or operator of the Recreational Vehicle.

C. Penalties. A second or subsequent violation of this Ordinance shall be subject to summary enforcement proceedings and upon being found guilty thereof shall subject the violator to a fine of $600.00 for a second offense (with the verbal warning being the first offense), and $1.000.00 for a third or subsequent offense. Upon default in payment of a fine and upon a guilty finding of a third or subsequent offense the violator may be subject to a term of imprisonment up to the maximum allowed by law for a summary offense. Each day that a violation continues or each section of this Ordinance that is found to be violated shall be considered a separate violation.

SECTION 5: Miscellaneous Provisions.

A. Incorporation by Reference. To the extent applicable, this Ordinance incorporates by reference there to the provisions of the rules and regulations relating to the "Pennsylvania Snowmobile and All Terrain Vehicle Law." 75 Pa. C.S. Section 7701 et seq
B. Rules of Interpretation. The use of the singular shall include the plural. The use of headings is for convenience only.
C. Severability. The sections of this Ordinance are severable, and if any section or part thereof is found to be unconstitutional or unenforceable,then such finding shall not affect the validity of the remaining sections or parts.
D. Effective Date. This Ordinance shall be effective five(5) days after adoption.

ORDAINED AND ENACTED this day , 2008.
FAIRVIEW TOWNSHIP BOARD OF SUPERVISORS

I can't believe how backwards thinking the people are who actually think these are reasonable laws... BUT.. thats what certain parts of our world are coming to. If you live in this area, PLEASE take the time to attend these meetings and squash this incomprehensible attack on our rights. PLEASE spread the word on this through any means you can. This is also just one of 25 pending ordinances that will need to be fought throughout PA in the near future. 8 have already come to vote and due to lack of attendance, 5 have already voted to pass them. 3 voted to not.

Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
Re: Pa - Fairview Township, York (ATTEND AND DEFEAT THIS...!)
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2008, 09:35:10 am »
this is my backyard and i take this one personally. its a55holes like this that damn near shut down the speedway because some candya55 moved in from the city and built his 10 bedroom house 300 yards from a 30 year old speedway. i wont let it happen again ill be there for this one and as many fellow rednecks i can find even if i gotta bribe em with beer  but sh1t like this is why you cant wheel our side of the river anymore. this state is bad enough you have to pay to play is just gettin ridiculous thanks for pointin this out Rick i honestly didnt here about it til now.
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2008, 09:49:31 am »
This has also been forwarded the Carla Bouche of United, I hope she has time to respond.
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

Death Wobble

• Angie Zinn - Wall St. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2008, 11:00:52 pm »
That whole ordinance is a joke--I especially loved part 2G:  Most horse/cattle pastures have grazing land RIGHT UP TO THE HIGHWAY where thousands of noisy vehicles drive past all day and night!  If the cows aren't lobbying for earplugs and dust masks, then I don't see a problem.
'88 XJ Limited:  4.5" ZONE lift, 32x11.5x15 BFG KM2s, JKS Quicker Discos, Kevin's Off Road rock rails.
'96 XJ Sport: 31x10.5 BFGs, 3" Rusty's lift.
Listen to Clutch.
(and your gut instincts)
CENSORSHIP IS UNAMERICAN!

ddechri

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2008, 08:39:40 am »
Hillbilly,

Can you post an address for the township.

I think it is this club's responsibility to take action on this one.
If you can be there in person, then you need to write in with your thoughts as if it was your township.
Because at the rate they are winning, it won't take long before it will be.

Just think, if you get a ATV and you want to test it out? Well, my lot isn't 300 ft wide or deep. So that would be it.

Right now they are upset with noise and dust, next time it might be you working on your rig in your driveway.

- Dave
Dave DeChristopher
'79 CJ-7: 4.0L, T18, bronco geared Dana 20, D30/D44 (locked), Warn 8274
'60 Willys PU: IH 304 V8, wide T19, Dana 18, OD, PTO Winch, SOA D44/D53(Power Lock) w/4.27's, 33's,
'68 CJ5 - Dauntless, SM420 (project)
'98 Dodge Ram 2500 12V CTD QC LWB
"Where ever I go, there's I AM"

hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2008, 04:54:53 pm »
Fairview Township Municipal Building
599 Lewisberry Road
New Cumberland, PA 17070

here you go. we need as many as we can get, even if your just a website member dont be afraid to show up and show your support
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 25, 2008, 01:16:14 am »
Adam,

I responded to Carla's email and placed you as a "cc" in that reply.
She is wanting a "front line" individual as yourself.

She is also wanting to offer you advise in a consultation. Please respond to her.

CHECK YOUR EMAIL...!!!

Ask her for her phone, speak to her if you can. She is wanting to help and we need to act approapriately.
She is "OUR" legal advisor...........

hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2008, 05:13:15 pm »
sure no problem. ive been doing some research on this and apparently newberry township (where i live) passed this ordinance and we fought it and they revoked it but hellam township is in a court battle because they passed the ord and it affected a "well to do " lawyer. ill give her a call

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2008, 10:44:13 pm »
Glad to hear, keep me/us posted please.

hillbilly

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2008, 03:01:37 pm »
called carla and left a message and email didnt hear anything yet

lt.dan

« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2008, 06:22:14 pm »
 i saw something about this on pirate, and will be there too. i am currently landuse coordinator for baltimore4wheelers, and maryland rock raiders. i have asked if any other members of my clubs would like to attend , and hope to bring a suburban full of outraged ohv users.
 way to go hillbilly.....rural dosn't mean stupid.

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 26, 2008, 09:32:47 pm »
She'll be in touch Adam, it is Thanksgiving. Allow her to feast  :-\

CJ8Ted

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 27, 2008, 08:08:15 am »
I'm going to try to make it and hopefully grab some other OHV users on the way.

Ted
85' CJ8 on 33s w/ 4.56s

jpkenny

• Kim Lorah
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2008, 04:03:54 pm »
What started all this? What was the complaint?
OLD SCHOOL WHEELER   Big Red TJ  Little Black CJ

CJ8Ted

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 01, 2008, 05:22:20 pm »
Tonight
85' CJ8 on 33s w/ 4.56s