Author Topic: Tow Points  (Read 8632 times)

Death Wobble

• Angie Zinn - Wall St. Warrior
    • View Profile
Tow Points
« on: September 12, 2008, 10:12:13 am »
Can anybody tell me what to do for tow points in the front of a stock XJ?  Getting a hitch receiver with a D ring seems like a good solution for the rear, but do I need to get a whole new bumper up front or what?  I'm afraid that Rausch Creek won't have me if I go up there without any.  :P
'88 XJ Limited:  4.5" ZONE lift, 32x11.5x15 BFG KM2s, JKS Quicker Discos, Kevin's Off Road rock rails.
'96 XJ Sport: 31x10.5 BFGs, 3" Rusty's lift.
Listen to Clutch.
(and your gut instincts)
CENSORSHIP IS UNAMERICAN!

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
Re: Tow Points
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2008, 02:08:37 pm »
   I bought a Tow Hook kit just like this one http://www.tellico4x4.com/product_info.php/products_id/25386 , I did not get it from these people, but paid about the same price. The easiest way to install them is to take the bumper (not the bumper brackets) off first.  Just remove (mine is a '96) the 4 bolts (two on top and two on the bottom) holding the bumper on and the whole front is exposed and the (bumper) brackets are right in front of ya.

Here's a (somewhat) close up of the front of my XJ. This will give ya an idea of what they look like after installation. The Hook brackets will go behind (or between the bumper bracket and the Frame Rail) to tie them into the Frame Rail and the Hooks just bolt on to the bottom of the brackets. They're not the best, but have worked 2 or 3 times, so far.

Good Luck, Tattoo 8)
The only way to know your limits...  is to surpass them!

Don't Shop - Adopt
   "Save Your Best Friends Life, Adopt a Rescue"
       If it's not a Dobermann, it's just a Dawg...

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2008, 03:52:37 pm »
got mine at tractor supply for about  $8-10 for 10,000 lb capacity same as tattoo's
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2008, 05:33:21 pm »
You're a smarter shopper ther hillbilly....Good Job
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 12, 2008, 05:52:23 pm »
got mine at tractor supply for about  $8-10 for 10,000 lb capacity same as tattoo's

Got what ??? the hooks or the bracket-hook kit?

Don't Shop - Adopt

Death Wobble

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2008, 08:23:18 pm »
You want to know something funny?  While I was typing this, I had my elbows on an open 4 Wheel Drive Hardware catalog.  Right under my elbow was this very item, only they want $79.99/pr.

Seriously,Tractor Supply?  And they fit an XJ without making any modifications?
'88 XJ Limited:  4.5" ZONE lift, 32x11.5x15 BFG KM2s, JKS Quicker Discos, Kevin's Off Road rock rails.
Listen to Clutch.
(and your gut instincts)

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 09:04:53 pm »
   That's my point... he was only getting the "Hooks" NOT the brackets and Hooks. I saw an XJ down at Adams Jeep (last year) that had tow hooks bolted to the bumper :o  The bumper on an XJ is kinda thin so I'm not sure how far you could pull an XJ, on flat ground, before ripping those hooks off.
    A good set of hooks and brackets should run ya about $70-75 (shipped). NOW... I could be  ??? and if he can get that set for $10, I'll buy at least 10 sets and sell 'em on eBay and get back a little of my money I'm spending on my Daughter's Wedding :o I have coming up in a few weeks. Now that would make me ;D ;D ;D

Tattoo 8)

Don't Shop - Adopt

Death Wobble

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 10:28:11 pm »
    I saw an XJ down at Adams Jeep (last year) that had tow hooks bolted to the bumper :o 

Tattoo 8)

Hehe.  That's just one step up from using those adhesive-backed 3M Command hooks!
Listen to Clutch.
(and your gut instincts)

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2008, 05:11:32 pm »
 calm down jack, they were the hooks ,made my own brackets as everything else i can on my jeep "built not bought" some box tubing and a drill and yes they were strong enough to hold when i buried it the river(dont ask) i wheel like i heard you do all or none. but now my front bumper is 4x4 1/4" custom fab and they bolt to that too. and i have seen the same hooks for $40 (just the hooks) at the jeep show. you got to look around thats all i was saying.
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7