Author Topic: Gears Gears Gears  (Read 9128 times)

johnnyff11

Gears Gears Gears
« on: September 10, 2008, 06:03:26 am »
Hello everyone,

Im sure everyone heard this a million times, but here we go.

I am considering new gears for the YJ. I have a 94 Yj with 3.5 lift, 33inch tires, automatic I6 sahara. This is the last piece of the puzzle for the jeep. any guidence or suggestions. I would like to keep it kinda in between off road and street due to it being a daily vehicle. Thanks in advance for the advice.

John

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
Re: Gears Gears Gears
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2008, 10:06:19 am »
4:10's would be a good selection for both on/off-road.
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

johnnyff11

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2008, 01:50:24 pm »
Im not a big gear hear when it comes to axles, so with that said anything I should be looking for when I get the front and rear sets?

Thanks for the imput.

John

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2008, 02:46:22 pm »
   I'm running 33's and have 4:10's also and I find it a good gear for a DD. "IF" you've got the money, you should think about Limited Slips or "selectable" Lockers. I'm running the Auburn High Performance (high bias) LS in the rear (which works GREAT!!) and the Detroit TruTrac in the front. The TruTrac IS a Limited Slip (which means, sometimes both wheels pull together and sometimes they don't). If I had to do it over again, I'd buy the Auburn ECTED unit. It's an Electric Locker with a plus, when it's OFF it's a "pre-loaded" LS and when it's ON it's a Locker! The best of both worlds. Check out their website...

http://www.auburngear.com/aftermarket/product_listing.aspx?category=8946f7ff-e4b5-4b07-b738-c6f9d7f93179

Also read about the exchange program "D-REX" http://www.auburngear.com/aftermarket/d-rex.aspx  The ECTED is NOT cheap, but they are less expensive then an ARB Locker and you don't need air to run them.

If anything, at least try to install the High Performance in the Rear, you'll be amazed where it'll take ya (off-road).  Just my thoughts...

Tattoo 8)

CAVEAT: running a locker can cause axle breakage and other damage, so do your homework.

The only way to know your limits...  is to surpass them!

Don't Shop - Adopt
   "Save Your Best Friends Life, Adopt a Rescue"
       If it's not a Dobermann, it's just a Dawg...

johnnyff11

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2008, 07:47:34 am »
I was looking and seen a few gear sets that are REVERSE ROTATION . Is this something I should be looking for the Dana 30?

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 08:25:59 am »
Yup, Wrangler YJ (87'-95') uses a reverse rotation Dana 30
Whom ever you purchse the gears from should know this.
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

Rusty XJ

• Rickie Wilson Jr.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #6 on: September 12, 2008, 12:20:12 am »
Just figured I'd grumble about my 4:56s w/33s that are still not finished. I will let you know how that goes once I finish. I am still up in the air between 4.10s or 4.56s but I am stuck with 4.56s. I'm not sure how much of a mistake I have made yet but I'm sure thinking going from 3.07s to 4.56s will be a BIG change. I might as well forget about 1st 2nd and 3rd gears on the street.

To add to Jack's LS and locker advice, I wouldn't go with a factory LS they break too much. But if you want a broken one, I believe my Dakota's will swap right over to a Jeep 8.25 rear  ;D Also, when my Cracker Jack box Detroit Gearless Locker in the XJ snaps, I intend on going to the Auburn ECTED Electric Locker. Seems like a good setup and no air to fuss with.
Rick Wilson Jr.
Is that DEATH WOBBLE or did we just enter Pennsylvania?
'95 XJ 2 Door, 4.0, 5spd, 7" random lift, 35x12.5 BFG ATs, 4.56 gears, Dana 44 Mini-spooled, Dana 30 w/ Detroit Truetrac and manual hubs, Bushwacker Flares, Warrior Front Bumper, JCR Rear Bumper, etc etc...

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 12, 2008, 01:43:34 pm »
Hey Rickie,

Well... If I remember correctly, when I'm running around 55 or 60 mph I'm tachin' about 2200 rpm which isn't too bad for short hops and city driving, but not too good for long hauls.
     This coming summer I might try and find a Dana 44 out of an old XJ and build it up (Disk Brakes, ECTED, stronger axles) before I install it. I don't have much room to work on something like this, but we'll see.

Tattoo 8)

The only way to know your limits...  is to surpass them!

Don't Shop - Adopt
   "Save Your Best Friends Life, Adopt a Rescue"
       If it's not a Dobermann, it's just a Dawg...

johnnyff11

« Reply #8 on: September 12, 2008, 02:45:44 pm »
guys thanks for the input so far. I am just sitting here at Camp Falcon ordering shit for the jeep for when I get home. almost done. I did end up getting it Rhino Lined in your. Looks awsome. just working on the gears adn axle stuff not. ordered a set of 4.10's and am looking at axle upgrades and before I get home I will get a the locker.

if you had to choose would you get a rear or front locker first?

John

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 12, 2008, 03:54:36 pm »
 tattoo have the same idea right now have another dana 30 doing that to now easier to work on out of the vehicle not too far from you have the tools and space if needed
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

Rusty XJ

• Rickie Wilson Jr.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2008, 05:23:30 pm »
Come on, just get some dirty old saw horses and set up shop under a tarp in the middle of the yard like I am doing still. Plenty of wide open space for all kinds of projects.  ;D
Rick Wilson Jr.
Is that DEATH WOBBLE or did we just enter Pennsylvania?
'95 XJ 2 Door, 4.0, 5spd, 7" random lift, 35x12.5 BFG ATs, 4.56 gears, Dana 44 Mini-spooled, Dana 30 w/ Detroit Truetrac and manual hubs, Bushwacker Flares, Warrior Front Bumper, JCR Rear Bumper, etc etc...

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 12, 2008, 05:36:06 pm »
JMO...Lock the rear first...!

johnnyff11

« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2008, 03:53:41 am »
lol RODGER copy the rear first LOL...