Author Topic: Need help on a YJ ball joints  (Read 6960 times)

STEVIESYJ

• View Profile
Need help on a YJ ball joints
« on: September 07, 2008, 08:40:32 pm »
I am working on finishing the front end of my YJ and I pulled the hubs, and knuckles and figured while I was there I am going to replace upper and lower ball joints so I know the age of them.  I do have a ball joint press, and I know once I have the lower off the upper will be cake, but how in the $%## do you get the lower one off!!!!! Any words of advise or even a hand would be awesome!! And yes I can pay with beer if need be.....let me know so I can get this part of the prodject done....thanks in advance Steve
Always a work in progress!!  Build, break, repeat!!
5" BDS lift 37"'s ARB Belly-Up Almost Done!!!! (For Now!!!)

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
Re: Need help on a YJ ball joints
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2008, 08:44:20 pm »
check and see if there is a locking ring on the top side of the lower ball joint, look hard its just a ring clip and might be covered in grease and dirt. the bottom comes off with a little persuasion but the top is a real sob
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2008, 11:52:23 pm »
I've never done this on a Jeep, but have done it on a Scout many years ago. They are a "PITA"

Here's the trick:
Put as much pressure as you can on the lower ball joint and then give the upper ball joint "stud" a solid "whack" with a mallot. Both joints should "pop-out". I discovered this in a moment of "rage & frustration". Then removing the upper ball joint stud is easy with a stud "removal" tool.
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

STEVIESYJ

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2008, 09:41:38 pm »
the bottom on doesnt appear to have a locking pin, no real luck with removing them yet, i'm going to try and find a small bottle jack to fit between them out loosen them at the same time, any other ideas would be great and thanks for the ideas and thoughts...steve
Always a work in progress!!  Build, break, repeat!!
5" BDS lift 37"'s ARB Belly-Up Almost Done!!!! (For Now!!!)

CJ8Ted

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2008, 10:52:13 pm »
Caution on YJs,XJs,TJs if you bend the inner "C" the axle is toast.
I know my CJs took a good bit of the BFH ;)

Ted
« Last Edit: September 11, 2008, 09:25:07 pm by CJ8Ted »
85' CJ8 on 33s w/ 4.56s

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2008, 03:33:31 pm »
i just did the ball joints on the two pc dana 30 going in my xj to replace the cad model. had a problem with the lowers until i put the press (i have the giant c clamp model from harbor freight ,works good though) anyway after i tighten the clamp and got some pressure on it i smacked the balljoint and it pop loose  top one i ground off and beat it through.
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7