Author Topic: what to look for in a winch?  (Read 7219 times)

taz5868

what to look for in a winch?
« on: August 31, 2008, 07:15:42 pm »
I am looking for the top 5 things to look for in a winch, I have a 2007 wrangler jk and I am just starting the process of builing it up. I don't plan on going all out on it. probably enough lift to clear 33's and some arb lockers. Daily driver and I take it upstate to my camp above renovo, Probably use it the most up there for backwoods trails. hopefully an occasional run to rausch creek and other jeep trips. I appreciate any input I can get as the only jeep I ever owned was a 76 cherokee that I modified slightly. also I have 16 inch stock rims, how wide a tire can I run on these rims safely?

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
Re: what to look for in a winch?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2008, 09:54:19 am »
Follow the link below:
http://www.jeeptech.com/winch/
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

dan58

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 04, 2008, 11:50:15 am »
Look for a winch with Warn on the front.  It's an easy decision.  They're just time tested and proven.  I LOVE my HS9500i.

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2008, 09:12:40 pm »
 i got an xrc 8000 smittybilt ($300 w ship) on a 91 xj w custom bumper and ive pulled many a buddy out o f some monster holes in the river and pulled trees 3 ft wide and 80 ft long up steep grades and other than lifting the arse 18" off the ground i cant beat it the price or quality and it looks alot like a warn(maybe that helps it?)
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2008, 10:25:34 pm »
A WARN comes with a "LIFETIME" mechanical warranty. Does the Smittybuilt...?  ;D
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2008, 05:44:03 pm »
yes even when i run over the toyota, i mean the guy just stopped :o  mangled the rollers and winch  cage they said no problem sent it out and they shipped one back
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7