Author Topic: CPS question  (Read 5698 times)

Death Wobble

• Angie Zinn - Wall St. Warrior
    • View Profile
CPS question
« on: August 16, 2008, 08:29:01 pm »
I recently had an experience with my XJ where it would crank but not start.  For two days this problem confounded me.  Thankfully, it occurred at home and not in the middle of nowhere!  After consulting the previous owner, (my uncle) he recalled a similar situation happening with it ten years ago.  I think that I isolated the problem to the crankshaft position sensor, because when I unplugged and re-plugged the connector, it started like nothing was ever wrong!  I've driven it about a dozen times since with no issues.  HOWEVER...I'd just like to know if it's going to be OK, or if I'm playing with fire and should get a new CPS A.S.A.P.? 

Any input would be appreciated!
'88 XJ Limited:  4.5" ZONE lift, 32x11.5x15 BFG KM2s, JKS Quicker Discos, Kevin's Off Road rock rails.
'96 XJ Sport: 31x10.5 BFGs, 3" Rusty's lift.
Listen to Clutch.
(and your gut instincts)
CENSORSHIP IS UNAMERICAN!

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
Re: CPS question
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2008, 08:33:34 am »
When you unplugged it was there dirt/grit inside the connector...?
Salt and dirt can cause issues sometimes.

I'm sure you know that the sensor tells the computer the speed the crank shaft is turning. Me personally, if it's running fine after cleaning out the connector I would continue to run it.
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

Death Wobble

• Angie Zinn - Wall St. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: CPS question
« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2008, 09:20:45 am »
I just blew on the unplugged connector ends, thinking that if anything was in there that that would clean it out.  Didn't see any real dirt issues.  Here's to hoping that won't happen again anytime soon!  Thanks, Rick!
'88 XJ Limited:  4.5" ZONE lift, 32x11.5x15 BFG KM2s, JKS Quicker Discos, Kevin's Off Road rock rails.
'96 XJ Sport: 31x10.5 BFGs, 3" Rusty's lift.
Listen to Clutch.
(and your gut instincts)
CENSORSHIP IS UNAMERICAN!