Author Topic: 96 Grand Laredo Rear Diff  (Read 7627 times)

j.haffly

• View Profile
96 Grand Laredo Rear Diff
« on: July 31, 2008, 08:44:33 am »
I have a chance to get a 1996 Grand Laredo....cheap cheap cheap, it's running, and it's lifted 4"....however, noise from the rear end....I'm taking it those had Dana 44's...my question is this....I'm assuming it's the pinon bearing due to the type of noise....

What all am I looking at price wise for repair/replacement and is it possible to drop in a locker to take care of it?

Thanks for understanding my boneheadness!

Jim
Jim "I'm Jonesing for some off-roading" Haffly

Scott Drawbaugh

• View Profile
Re: 96 Grand Laredo Rear Diff
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2008, 10:41:53 am »
44a L.S. (3.73) was factory in most of the V8 models, if the ZJ is a 4.0 six and has a 44a it was special order or upgraded by the previous owner
Live for today as tomorrow is not promised

CJ8Ted

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2008, 10:42:59 pm »
To rebuild, the bearings will cost about $100 pinion and carrier seals ect. I would think a shop will charge a couple hundred plus parts to do the install.

Drop in locker will do nada. (if you can even get one)

Cast Alu. 44s found in grands are not very good (from what I herd) parts are different than most 44s and hard to get. The Alu. chunk is on the weak side and prone to crack w/ bigger tires and a little fun.

Ted
85' CJ8 on 33s w/ 4.56s

phil3604

« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2008, 11:36:30 pm »
If this ZJ has the 4.0L I6 it is most likely a Dana 35, and not a Dana 44A (yes the A is for aluminum).  CJ8Ted was correct in that the Dana 44A aluminum center is the weak link,  parts  can be difficult to find, and there is very little after market support for them. In fact I know of only one company that makes a locker for them (Aussie Locker) and I think they may have discontinued production of those. But just because it has a V-8 (5.2L) doesn't nesessarily mean you have a dana 44A, in fact being that it is a 96, it is most likely the dana 35...that is if it is original equiptment and wasn't already swapped out when the lift was done (one of the most common, and first mods that ZJ owners do is to replace the dana 35, and for that matter the dana 44a, with a stronger differential....either a Ford 8.8 or 9").