Author Topic: WPA-4XTRAC needs help to get Rock Run 4x4 trails opened!  (Read 19427 times)

ddechri

• View Profile
WPA-4XTRAC needs help to get Rock Run 4x4 trails opened!
« on: July 28, 2008, 11:53:29 am »
Rock Run is a recently developed multi-use park in western PA. While primarily intended for ATV use, the land was funded with grants from DNCR's ATV fund and is promoted for shared use by hikers, bikers, and equestrians, but not 4x4's.

However, the group WPA-4TRAC - Western PA 4x4 Trail Advisory Committee was formed by some local 4WD club members who were asked to sample some of the Rock Run trails in their 4x4 vehicles. The work of WPA-4XTRAC has lead to a Tots for Tots run last fall and a recent run on new trails at the beginning of the July 2008.

WPA-4xTRAC is calling for 4x4 enthusiast to write emails into Rock Run's managing committe to encourage them to continue 4WD trail development. Please follow the link to WPA-4xTRAC's website, read the full story and tell them you want trails opened for 4x4 use.

http://wpa4xtrac.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=164 There are also some pictures from the recent trail ride.

Not only is this an opertunity to open another off-road park, I think DNCR maybe closely watching the outcome of Rock Run as a model for development elsewhere in PA.

Dave DeChristopher
'79 CJ-7: 4.0L, T18, bronco geared Dana 20, D30/D44 (locked), Warn 8274
'60 Willys PU: IH 304 V8, wide T19, Dana 18, OD, PTO Winch, SOA D44/D53(Power Lock) w/4.27's, 33's,
'68 CJ5 - Dauntless, SM420 (project)
'98 Dodge Ram 2500 12V CTD QC LWB
"Where ever I go, there's I AM"

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
Re: WPA-4XTRAC needs help to get Rock Run 4x4 trails opened!
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2008, 12:35:35 am »
This is good news Dave, thanks for the info.
Here's the link to the Rock Run Recreation Area:
http://www.rockrunrecreation.com/index.php?page=home
« Last Edit: July 29, 2008, 10:50:12 am by Rick_Bear »
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

CJ8Ted

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2008, 04:54:07 pm »
I hit there site two days ago to try to find info if OHVs were welcome yet, thanks for the info.
Ted
85' CJ8 on 33s w/ 4.56s

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2008, 01:42:26 am »
Ted,

Use the link in Dave's initial link and enter the forum. There are four Clubs that have begun trails but need more support.
Heritage Region Jeep Alliance, Maryland Creepers, and a couple others have been working on access for OHV's. You'll find contact information through Dave's link. I just placed the Recreation Areas link in there for everyone to see the fees, and get directions. Cheap wheeling if things follow suit for us.
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

canman35

• bob bracken
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2008, 09:29:51 pm »
this is the park where I have been riding my Polaris since it opened. My "home town" is less than 15 minutes away from there so it is a real cheap weekend for me to go there,no hotel expenses lol. I have always asked the owners since day one about the OHV option at the park and they were very receptive to it but at the time they wanted to give the ATV,s a chance to see what would happen.I am planning on going to the park at the end of this month and I will be in touch with the other clubs and the owners to express the intrest once again of the central Pa community. If anyone would like to go to the park anytime let me know and I would be glad to get ya to the site with no problem and maybe a tour also,it takes approx. 2.5 hours to get there from they York area. :)
2008 jk  35" bfg's, 4'lift, disco's,  diff covers, 4:88's, limited slip front and rear, cold air intake, "cherry bomb" catback exhuast, Hypertec max programmer, bushwaker flares, stainless steel bumpers and nerf bars,coverking seat covers, cb
2007 liberty daughters daily driver.

papabear

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2008, 04:36:51 pm »
Big Rubbers Custom 4x4 club, my Club, was just out there last weekend doing trail maint. we are one of the 5 clubs that are on the committee that is working with Rep. Haluska. If you get the JRations magazine, look in the June issue for an article titled North Woods, why they named my article that, I haven't a clue. Anyways, with anything that has political implications, it takes a while to get things moving along, they are near completion of phase 1 and phase 2 will have some additional trails for us, they even have plans of building a hotel there to accommodate folks riding there. There is still a lot of work to be done before they open up to the public, so all of the e-mails you send in supporting the inclusion of SUV's will aid in getting this done. The more that the " powers that be" see what kind of response they will get, the better for all of us.

Bear

ddechri

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 03, 2008, 02:13:08 pm »
SUCCESS!!!!

As of August 28th, there is a schedule of public trail rides for Rock Run at 3 difficulty levels.
Check out this link for the dates and requirements:

http://wpa4xtrac.org/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=181

They are only offering 40 slots per day. 15 stock, 10 moderate, 15 difficult.

There is also primitive camping availible.

Remember, this is a public OHV park, so they have to keep records and they'll probably be running statistics on them.
In my opinion, we need to flood Rock Run with requests to go wheeling. That may give them some numbers on how popular 4x4 recreation is. It also gives them justification on expansion both there and elsewhere.

- Dave
Dave DeChristopher
'79 CJ-7: 4.0L, T18, bronco geared Dana 20, D30/D44 (locked), Warn 8274
'60 Willys PU: IH 304 V8, wide T19, Dana 18, OD, PTO Winch, SOA D44/D53(Power Lock) w/4.27's, 33's,
'68 CJ5 - Dauntless, SM420 (project)
'98 Dodge Ram 2500 12V CTD QC LWB
"Where ever I go, there's I AM"

Chris "Hollywood" Borkowski

• B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2008, 09:50:32 pm »
I just went through the web site. Looks like it would be a nice October Trail ride event.
Chris Borkowski
'05 Grinch Green Rubicon
Too much to say but will put it simply,
"He's just on steroids"
2011 Ford F-350 SD DD/Tow Rig

dan58

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 04, 2008, 10:17:42 am »
Sorry I didn't see this sooner.  I'm one of the committee members of the WPA4xTRAC.  It's been nothing short of an enormous amount of work to get this where we are today.  We have held two trail rides there, and we have a few more scheduled throughout the fall.  The Oct 4/5 and 25/26 dates are filling quickly, so I would highly suggest you register now.  I know the pre-registration is a bit cumbersome, but it's how we have to work for now.  Remember, this is 100% done by volunteers.  We volunteers are even doing all of the trail guiding. 
The park does have primitive camping.  If you have any questions at all, please PM me or email me dan58@marylandcreepers.com

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2009, 09:06:27 pm »
so whens the wheelin start back up got some time off for a while  cutting trails or anything scheduled?
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

dan58

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 16, 2009, 09:27:30 pm »
Wheeling schedule is ready to go.  Look for an info email/post in the next few days.  We'll be starting in April and have monthly open rides.