Author Topic: Show Tidbits  (Read 25618 times)

M + M Jeep

• Administrator
  • PA Jeeps-President
    • View Profile
Show Tidbits
« on: July 22, 2008, 11:35:18 am »

Although some of the critical comments were deleted (I'm an Admin but didn't, nor would I have deleted them. I just would have moved them into a new topic) before I could comment, I wanted to share just a few things about the show for clarification.

Keep in mind that we have a contract with the York Expo Center that is 30 pages thick.

Food and Water.  If it was up to us, we would have free water stations located all around the show field and vendors areas.  However, our contract states that we cannot give away any drinks free (water or otherwise), unless it is an emergency, heat exhaustion, etc.  If we bring water into the show for our Volunteers it has to be the "Official Water" of the Expo Center.  I think it's Dasani, I don't remember.  As for food, Brickers Fries is the sole vendor for food and drinks at the Expo Center.  The only say that we have is how many food vendors we have and where they are put.  I personally would rather have pit beef stands, seafood stands, etc. but our hands are tied on this.  The reasons why the food vendors were moved to the outside of the track was because 1. to make room for more vendor space and 2. the parts vendors across the aisle from them had complained about the greasy smoke drifting through their tents all weekend. 

ATM.  We requested a portable ATM be put inside the Vendor area for easier access and were denied by the "Official Bank" of the Expo Center.

Why we don't have it in the spring or fall.  That's easy.  Rain, Rain, Rain... You have no idea how much it cost to put on  this show.  Guaranteed it's a lot more then you think.  If it would rain even the week of the show (not even during the show) we could not get the dirt needed to build the "Obstacle Course"  It would be way too soft to get the Bulldozer and Dump trucks into the place where we pick up from(Briarwood Golf). 
The vendors spend a lot of money to get here and set up.  Rain kills the Spectator gate which kills potential sales, etc, etc.  It's the old snow ball effect.  It would be impossible to have a rain date because of all the scheduling and reservations that are made. Hot and sunny is better then cold and rainy, at least in this case.

First Aid.  We keep first aid kits at the PA Jeeps Stage.  Many of our members/volunteers at the show are trained in first aid and CPR. The PA Jeeps pay for some or all of their training every year. (A perk of being a member)    I believe there is a fire station two blocks from the Expo Center in case there was something more pressing. Usually we get a few cut and scratches, mostly from the kids falling down and stuff.  No Heat exhaustion this year. Suprise, Suprise.

Raffle.  It is what it is.  It always takes a long time.  We give away a lot of stuff.  I guess we could cut back on the number of raffle items we give away to speed things up. Yeah, that's what we'll do... as for me having 3 conversations at one time, that's easy, I have 7 different personalities, I can handle it.

Stage.  It was our first time up there.  Things will run much smoother next year with set up, placement, parade of Jeeps etc...if there is a next year.

Announcer.  Worst year he ever had.  We are trying to get him replaced with Billy Crystal or Chris Rock!!!!

I hope this answered some of your questions....   W.

Wayne Fish

headhoncho

• View Profile
Re: Show Tidbits
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2008, 04:31:20 pm »

Stage.  It was our first time up there.  Things will run much smoother next year with set up, placement, parade of Jeeps etc...if there is a next year.

What's the deal with the references to "if there's a next year"?  This is the first time I've heard this mentioned by the announcer in all the years I've been going. Is the comment economy driven or frustration driven? Just curious as I really do feel it's a great show and would hate to see it dissapear.

JR
« Last Edit: July 24, 2008, 03:39:15 pm by headhoncho »
JR

1980 Honcho sportside w/38's

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2008, 07:15:00 pm »
Economy......Staffing Abilities......Rising Services Costs......
All of the above are contributing factors when planning/organizing any event.
Being able to cover the extensive costs of an event this size is priority #1
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

j.haffly

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2008, 08:23:44 pm »
I would have to agree with Rick on that....staffing has always been an issue.  I'm thankful that Parking had a full crew this year.  It went very smooth for us and only a handful of Jeeps were not parked correctly.

Taking the Display Only out of the show field, in my opinion, is one of the smartest things we did.  Next year, we have a new way to set up for the Parade of Champions.  It even came from a spectator!

As always, I loved seeing my old Jeep friends and will be there next year.  I wish I could make meetings and stuff like that but you know how it is....

Jim
Jim "I'm Jonesing for some off-roading" Haffly

crazy4ink

• Rob "Mongo" Murphy
    • View Profile
    • Mountain Valley Customs
« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2008, 10:17:05 pm »
Ok, I must have missed something....what was wrong with the announcer?  Could someone please clue me in?

I thought that the show ran smoothly considering the heat and the new layout of things.
'04 TJ - Locked, Caged and Rollin' on 42s......for now.....

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2008, 08:07:43 am »
Rob,
I thought it best to delete several nasty, negative, uncalled for comments posted here on Monday.
It's best you didn't see them as well as all the other attending/sponsoring vendors in attendance.
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

Charlie

• PA Jeeps-Vice President
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2008, 08:20:33 am »
1) If someone one else did a better job, PA Jeeps would have the second best all Jeep show in the country.

2) I happen to be very fond of six out of the seven personalities the Master of Ceremonies has....that ain't bad! I'm not sure I even like any of my own. Chris Rock is cool, I'm not sure about Billy Crystal. Oh, if anyone one of the slim shady wanna be's would like to take the mic, please stand up, please stand up.

3) I received nothing but good feedback on the use of the stage, great call Rick!

I didn't know we had a first aid problem, the few minor cases brought to the PA Jeeps stage were handled well.

Next years raffle will consist of two bumpers stickers and a hat, that should speed things up a bit. I may throw in a snake bite kit!

I've heard Siberia is beautiful this time of year!

Charlie
Charlie "The Tuna" Stevens
2004 Wrangler Sport-4 1/2" BDS Suspension, 1 1/4" JKS Body Lift with 35" BFG's

fmkf

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2008, 09:13:47 am »
My original comments in not being impressed this year was in comparison to last year. I never said I wouldn't return next year or that I didn't enjoy what was there. I received attacks for stating my opinion. I will make no suggestions for future events. I am not a member of the club and I feel any "outside comments are not welcome. I may come back next year (not that it matters to any of you) or not but it won't be due to the quality of the Jeeps or lack of vendors.

fmkf

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2008, 10:13:05 am »
fmkf,

You are entitled to your personal opinion and the PA Jeeps Club has ALWAYS encouraged feedback from our particpants, vendors, and spectators so that we can look into making changes to make things better. Every year we have a suggestion box at our Club area. Here are several suggestions adopted into this Jeep Show over the years by people attending.

1- Dining tents that the Club purchased.
2- A Kids activities area with numerous things the Club purchases for children to do and parents to relax a bit.
3- A mist tent that the Club purchased and constructed, however it creats a HUGE mess for too many people within 200 feet of it. It WILL be back in 2009 in an area where this won't happen. I personally regret not setting it up. This is MY fault.
4- Rearranging Jeep classifications over the years based on feedback.
5- Adding a second rock course downsized for less modified Jeeps. Yes, the PA Jeeps Club pays for the cost of the course too. BIG BUCKS...!
6- Creating a two sided Event Shirt for vendors to advertise their business logos.

There is a correct, professional way to offer feedback and then there are not so professional ways to do so. What has been said and discussed here that came across to sound negative will pass in time.

I hope posting some of the changes our event has endured over the years through feedback from attendees changes your opinion that we do not care......We do care.

Have a nice day  :)

04 Rubi

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2008, 11:00:23 am »
Rick hey I thought the show was great one thing I think would be a great addition "but well who am I"  is like cannopys over the bleachers at the rock course that would be awsome.
A LIL lift and 35's And stuff.

Clinton Jacobs.

M + M Jeep

• Administrator
  • PA Jeeps-President
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2008, 12:24:30 pm »

We would have to look into availiblity of a tent/canopy that tall.  I've never see one myself.  But a great idea.  The thing about the tents of any kind are that they are sooooo $$$$ to rent.

Wayne Fish

Charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2008, 08:21:38 am »
Wayne and Rick,

The Mrs. also said if it were practical it would be nice to have some cover over the bleachers.

Charlie

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2008, 10:30:30 am »
Charlie,

Do you just post your thoughts without reading....? It was requested  :D and noted.

Charlie

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2008, 04:16:00 pm »
No Rick, I don't.

It was more of a second on the "bleacher cover" idea. She mentioned it to me on Saturday.

Now you have more than one request.

If you want, I can delete it.

Do you always post like you're in a bad mood? :P

Charlie

92YJ

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2008, 07:37:10 pm »
 Wayne, Rick and everyone else that worked hard to make this years show a success;

It has been my experience that the officers and club members have always taken constructive criticism and many times used it to make the show or other club events better.  You are right, Rick, there is a proper or correct way to offer that citicism and then there is the way some have chosen to do it this week.
  Unfortunately, it is a growing trend that people get so wound up over their "right" to say whatever they want that they forget or don't care that they can do that in a more professional and less negative way and still get their point across.
  I would defend anyones right to say what they have to say, but they do not have a "right" to say it at the expense of others.

Keep up the good work !

« Last Edit: July 25, 2008, 12:04:19 am by 92YJ »
Mark Earhart
92 YJ
46 CJ-2A
01 Cherokee Limited
86 CJ-7