Land Use Office > National Issues

Hatteras & Ocracoke Island News

(1/4) > >>

Rick_Bear:
Well, we just lost another battle.

http://islandfreepress.org/2008Archives/05.05.2008-ThreePopularAreasClosedtoORVsUnderConsentDecree.html

REBELjeeper:
This is why I'm slowly losing interest in four wheeling.  I love to do it, but it's getting so rediculous to find any place that's legal to wheel (Good example is Trails Rd in Airville, PA) is being closed down and barred off.  Closest place now is Rausch Creek, and how long is it gonna be till the tree huggers or industrialists take this over to?  It really aggrivates me, so I've been doing the muscle car thing.  They can't outlaw that....yet.... >:(

Rick_Bear:
Yeah, it's very frustrating. 25 yrs. ago I could tell you of about 12 different places to go within 20 miles of my home. Nothing fancy or seriously hard-core, but quite entertaining to say the least. Idiots ruined that for us all. Most of the others we lost due to the lack of "organization" and/or "somebody else" will fix it for me attitudes, which really haven't changed much over the years.

Rausch Creek does have one advantage if you want to call it that. That being they are MOTORSPORTS supported and backed.

It's all about numbers.....The number of those enjoying must out number those against it and get involved in the processes needed to keep it going.....PERIOD......Waiting idly by for others to do it alone will end in its certain demise.

Public lands are just that, public lands. But due to the lack of organized mass lobbying on our sports participants part we have been gobbled up by the environmentalists looking to save a frog, bird, or an insect. Where in OUR "Constitution" does it state ALL creatures are equal....? I think it states that ALL men/women are equal. My oh-my how the times have changed against us. BUT we have nobody to really blame but the thousands among us for not getting involved. And it's ONLY going to get worse until involvement becomes second nature just as placing that $30.00 on the counter is at a "Pay-to-Play" park. Involvement has to start somewhere people or WE will be stuck sitting in traffic on a paved road forever. What good will all those modifications do you there...?

The thoughts that "privately" owned/leased land is safe needs to be addressed individually. ANY property can be threatened. ESPECIALLY these days. I suggest everyone start READING and INVESTIGATING into what OUR legislators are discussing and contemplating. We've been blind sided for too damn many years and it's HIGH TIME we prepare and react as others have done against US over the past 25 years.

billiejf:
Rick is 100% correct.  Many people in our type of organization (I'm not saying PA Jeeps specifically), but it goes across the board in 4wd organizations, believe that there is some mass organization out there fighting for their rights.  They believe that United is that organization.  Well, United is an organization, just like PA Jeeps (but with less money) that has a handful of people doing all of the work (most of them volunteers) and they need the membership to get involved or this will continue to happen.  Carla Boucher is the attorney for United and she works endless hours trying to keep her hand in every pot, but she's one person - she does not have a team of lawyers behind her.  I know some people think that the $15 per member per year that is paid to United should pay for a whole team, but before saying that you should do the math ($15 X 10,000 members = $150,000 per year).  When was the last time you hired a team of lawyers for $150,000/year?  It can't be done.

Paragon is a perfect example of how a privately owned park can be obliterated in a heartbeat by an organization larger and with more resources than what we have.  Preston Stevens said for years that we were putting all of our eggs in one basket with Paragon, while people got less and less involved in the planning processes for public lands and sure enough, we lost Paragon.  We then turned back around to look at public land and low and behold, it was gone too.  I know it sounds preachy and like a lot of work that no one has time to do, but you'd better seriously start thinking about getting involved in one of these organizations (PA Jeeps, Middle Atlantic, United, BRC, Tread Lightly, etc etc etc) or buy yourself a street rod and start facing emissions laws, etc -- yes, the "other side" is after them too.  Before you know it, most forms of recreation will be a vague memory to all of us.  Bottom line is, GET INVOLVED!  Ask the leadership of any of the above organizations about what you can do to help instead of complaining that they haven't done anything to protect your right to recreate.  Coincidentally, there is a Middle Atlantic meeting being held this coming Sunday in Bel Air MD (not that far from PA) and they are BEGGING people to attend.  I can provide that info if you're interested.

O.K.  I'm off my soap box now.  Billie Jeanne

DISCLAIMER:  THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED ABOVE ARE PURELY MINE, BUT THEY ARE BASED ON 20+ YEARS IN ORGANIZED 4 WHEELING AND AFTER 14 YEARS OF DONATING COUNTLESS HOURS OF MINE AND MY FAMILY'S TIME ON BEHALF OF THIS SPORT.

emgraz:
Billie Jean,

Please e-mail me the info on the meeting this Sunday, I don't think Matt and I have any plans....we might be able to attend....

Erica

2yellolabs@comcast.net

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version