Author Topic: Hatteras & Ocracoke Island News  (Read 23785 times)

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

REBELjeeper

Re: Hatteras & Ocracoke Island News
« Reply #1 on: June 01, 2008, 06:05:32 pm »
This is why I'm slowly losing interest in four wheeling.  I love to do it, but it's getting so rediculous to find any place that's legal to wheel (Good example is Trails Rd in Airville, PA) is being closed down and barred off.  Closest place now is Rausch Creek, and how long is it gonna be till the tree huggers or industrialists take this over to?  It really aggrivates me, so I've been doing the muscle car thing.  They can't outlaw that....yet.... >:(

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2008, 01:10:08 am »
Yeah, it's very frustrating. 25 yrs. ago I could tell you of about 12 different places to go within 20 miles of my home. Nothing fancy or seriously hard-core, but quite entertaining to say the least. Idiots ruined that for us all. Most of the others we lost due to the lack of "organization" and/or "somebody else" will fix it for me attitudes, which really haven't changed much over the years.

Rausch Creek does have one advantage if you want to call it that. That being they are MOTORSPORTS supported and backed.

It's all about numbers.....The number of those enjoying must out number those against it and get involved in the processes needed to keep it going.....PERIOD......Waiting idly by for others to do it alone will end in its certain demise.

Public lands are just that, public lands. But due to the lack of organized mass lobbying on our sports participants part we have been gobbled up by the environmentalists looking to save a frog, bird, or an insect. Where in OUR "Constitution" does it state ALL creatures are equal....? I think it states that ALL men/women are equal. My oh-my how the times have changed against us. BUT we have nobody to really blame but the thousands among us for not getting involved. And it's ONLY going to get worse until involvement becomes second nature just as placing that $30.00 on the counter is at a "Pay-to-Play" park. Involvement has to start somewhere people or WE will be stuck sitting in traffic on a paved road forever. What good will all those modifications do you there...?

The thoughts that "privately" owned/leased land is safe needs to be addressed individually. ANY property can be threatened. ESPECIALLY these days. I suggest everyone start READING and INVESTIGATING into what OUR legislators are discussing and contemplating. We've been blind sided for too damn many years and it's HIGH TIME we prepare and react as others have done against US over the past 25 years.
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

billiejf

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2008, 11:46:11 am »
Rick is 100% correct.  Many people in our type of organization (I'm not saying PA Jeeps specifically), but it goes across the board in 4wd organizations, believe that there is some mass organization out there fighting for their rights.  They believe that United is that organization.  Well, United is an organization, just like PA Jeeps (but with less money) that has a handful of people doing all of the work (most of them volunteers) and they need the membership to get involved or this will continue to happen.  Carla Boucher is the attorney for United and she works endless hours trying to keep her hand in every pot, but she's one person - she does not have a team of lawyers behind her.  I know some people think that the $15 per member per year that is paid to United should pay for a whole team, but before saying that you should do the math ($15 X 10,000 members = $150,000 per year).  When was the last time you hired a team of lawyers for $150,000/year?  It can't be done.

Paragon is a perfect example of how a privately owned park can be obliterated in a heartbeat by an organization larger and with more resources than what we have.  Preston Stevens said for years that we were putting all of our eggs in one basket with Paragon, while people got less and less involved in the planning processes for public lands and sure enough, we lost Paragon.  We then turned back around to look at public land and low and behold, it was gone too.  I know it sounds preachy and like a lot of work that no one has time to do, but you'd better seriously start thinking about getting involved in one of these organizations (PA Jeeps, Middle Atlantic, United, BRC, Tread Lightly, etc etc etc) or buy yourself a street rod and start facing emissions laws, etc -- yes, the "other side" is after them too.  Before you know it, most forms of recreation will be a vague memory to all of us.  Bottom line is, GET INVOLVED!  Ask the leadership of any of the above organizations about what you can do to help instead of complaining that they haven't done anything to protect your right to recreate.  Coincidentally, there is a Middle Atlantic meeting being held this coming Sunday in Bel Air MD (not that far from PA) and they are BEGGING people to attend.  I can provide that info if you're interested.

O.K.  I'm off my soap box now.  Billie Jeanne

DISCLAIMER:  THE OPINIONS EXPRESSED ABOVE ARE PURELY MINE, BUT THEY ARE BASED ON 20+ YEARS IN ORGANIZED 4 WHEELING AND AFTER 14 YEARS OF DONATING COUNTLESS HOURS OF MINE AND MY FAMILY'S TIME ON BEHALF OF THIS SPORT.
Billie Jeanne Fish
Shadow of the Man Himself

emgraz

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2008, 12:59:01 pm »
Billie Jean,

Please e-mail me the info on the meeting this Sunday, I don't think Matt and I have any plans....we might be able to attend....

Erica

2yellolabs@comcast.net
Matt and Erica Graziosi

2000 Sahara with 3" BDS suspension lift, BFG mud terrain 33's, jks disconnects, Rhino Lining...(we're starting the JEEP mantra, we're emptying our pockets......)  ***Just added ARB Rocker Guards***

billiejf

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2008, 01:51:10 pm »
Erica (and all),

Below is the information for the Middle Atlantic Meeting.  You should let Tico know that you plan to come, if you do.  Thanks -- I hope to see some get involved.  Tico's email address is:  t.carreras@yahoo.com

Billie J
***************************************************************************************
Hello fellow enthusiasts,

Keith has asked me to post the location of the Associations meeting. I hope this is sufficent time for you to plan your participation. It is Sunday morning at 10 AM on June the 8th, MaGerk's in Belair , Maryland. the address is:

Magerks PUB & Grill
near 120 S Bond St,
Bel Air, MD 21014-3836  for direction use the LINK

Telephone:  410-638-7701

While this is an officers meeting, the general membership is always invited and concidering the fact that we have not had an overall meeting for the Association it might be a good time for them to show and participate as well. There is much to be covered and resolutions need to be handled. The Staff at Magerk's is both friendly and efficient, they offer a breakfast fair to liven up your palot and I wouldn't be surprise if you leave the location a few pound heavier.

Please convey this message to your membership for maximum attendance. Thank you an see you guys at MaGerk's.

Tico Carreras
Vice-President MAFWDA
President MRR

Billie Jeanne Fish

REBELjeeper

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2008, 06:36:41 pm »
Thanks Rick, and Billie.  ;D  That's what I wanted to say, but I have a hard time typing what I'm thinking.  I'd love to be able to help organize something, as would my fellow Jeepers, and offroaders.  Some I'm sure you guys already know.

I fully agree that pretty soon, all vehicles that are considered "recreation"- anything from Muscle cars to motorcycles will be impossible to own, and operate due to absurd regulations.  It gets old really fast.

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 02:06:48 am »
Just thought I would add into this subject since I did happen to grab the support of my dear friend Billie Jean.

For all you that have taken the time to read this, please remember what you have read. Memorize it, follow the advise, and pass it on to all those other enthusiasts you come across every chance you get.

Yes, land use issues and documents are long winded and quite boring. But, ultimately within the "words" once you read them thoroughly you'll see how you are being placed on the "extinction" list. And that list of extinction is NOT going to be supported due to your loss of entertainment. It's going to be swarmed upon like a pack of wolves cornering a helpless, grazing fawn. And once they know they have the upper hand they will move in for the kill......End of "grazing"... :'(

STAND AND BE HEARD IN NUMBERS......GET INVOLVED BEFORE THERE IS NOTHING...!!!

Hell, your John Deere Lawn tractor is next after the OHV is exstinct. "THEY" will NEVER stop...So GET STARTED.

92YJ

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 07:33:36 am »
You both make a good point. Couldn't have been said any better.
Mark Earhart
92 YJ
46 CJ-2A
01 Cherokee Limited
86 CJ-7

chasm

• Blonde / Bomber...
    • View Profile
    • JeepChasm
« Reply #9 on: June 12, 2008, 11:23:00 am »
Tuesday, I had the Rubi down in North Carolina. I had to pose for a pic on the beach.

The way things are going, this may be only a memory!
  ???
Mike Hardesty aka: "chasm"
'51 CJ3A: Restored Garage Queen
'83 CJ8 Scrambler: To Do List...
'93 YJ: 2.5" R.E. lift, 31" Swamper SSR's, Olympic Rock bumper, smashed Stainless exhaust, U-bolt skids, Warn M-8000 winch.
'08 Liberty: (wife's DD)

92YJ

• View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2008, 09:21:11 pm »

Anyone know the latest ruling on this?
Mark Earhart
92 YJ
46 CJ-2A
01 Cherokee Limited
86 CJ-7

billiejf

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2008, 10:33:01 am »
Still ongoing...  just received this today from Dave Hook:

-----Original Message-----
From: Irene Nolan [irene@islandfreepress.org','','','1')">irene@islandfreepress.org]
Sent: Friday, July 25, 2008 5:27 PM
To: dhook17322@comcast.net
Subject: News on Beach Access on Free Press

ON BEACH ACCESS ISSUES PAGE

Senate subcommittee sets hearing on bill to set aside consent decree

The U.S. Senate Subcommittee on National Parks has scheduled a hearing on
Wednesday, July 30, at 2:30 p.m. on a bill that would set aside a consent
decree and reinstate the National Park Service's interim strategy to govern
ORV use on the Cape Hatteras National Seashore until there is a long-term
rule.

Also:
. New Park Service reports on beach access and ORV mileage and the new
resource management report.
. The little oystercatchers that could: An update.

On Fishing Page:
. Bill would give commercial fishermen help to offset high fuel
prices.
. Farm-raised tilapia may not have benefits for heart health.

http://www.IslandFreePress.org
Billie Jeanne Fish

92YJ

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2008, 07:37:07 am »

Thanks !
Mark Earhart
92 YJ
46 CJ-2A
01 Cherokee Limited
86 CJ-7

Betty Udich

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2008, 11:09:47 pm »
A group of us are going to Avon down on Hatteras Island for a couple of weeks starting saturday 8/2. We'll post any new information. As of this moment the Hatteras Point is reopened to ORV traffic.

C2kraft

• Chris Kraft
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 04, 2008, 10:56:03 pm »
Today I received a letter from Representative Todd Platts of the 19th District, after I submitted a petition found here http://www.gopetition.com/online/18790.html The more people that submit this petition the better. Our congress men/women need to know our position on this issue. If you have never driven on the OBX beaches it is a great time and definitely worth saving the ability to do so.

Chris

**Update**

Below is the response from Representative Robert P. Casey, pertaining to the online petition that I submitted to him.

Dear Mr. Kraft:

Thank you for taking the time to contact me regarding S. 3113, a bill to address off-road vehicle and public access rights at Cape Hatteras National Seashore (CHNS) in North Carolina. I appreciate hearing from all Pennsylvanians about the issues that matter most to them.

Senator Elizabeth Dole of North Carolina introduced S. 3113 on June 11, 2008. It was referred to the Senate Committee on Energy and National Resources, of which I am not a member. This legislation would reinstate a so-called "Interim Management Strategy" for CHNS which, among other things, would establish regulations for off-road vehicle and public access along the Seashore.

Current law requires all federal parks that allow off-road vehicle access to develop and implement a management plan governing their use. CHNS never developed such a plan, and, as a result, has been out of compliance for decades. In July 2007, groups concerned about this situation successfully sought an injunction in U.S. District Court, causing certain lands along the Seashore to be closed to public access pending a final Court ruling. On April 30, 2008, these groups reached a settlement, known as a consent decree, that appears to balance the interests of those who wish to use off-road vehicles at CHNS, and those who are concerned about the impact these vehicles may have on local plant life and wildlife populations. While the consent decree has since allowed for these lands to be reopened, S. 3113 would reject this compromise, reinstate the interim management strategy and provide for a final regulation governing off-road vehicle use to be determined through the standard Department of Interior rulemaking process.

You may be interested to know that the Energy Committee's Subcommittee on National Parks held a hearing on S. 3113 on July 30, 2008. Should the Committee decide to approve this legislation and send it to the full Senate for consideration, please be assured that I will keep your views in mind.

Again, thank you for sharing your thoughts with me. Please do not hesitate to contact me in the future about this or any other matter of importance to you.

If you have access to the Internet, I encourage you to visit my website, http://casey.senate.gov. I invite you to use this online office as a comprehensive resource to stay up-to-date on my work in Washington, request assistance from my office or share with me your thoughts on the issue that matter most to you and to Pennsylvania.

Sincerely,
Bob Casey
United States Senator

« Last Edit: August 05, 2008, 09:27:11 pm by C2kraft »
05 Unlimited 3.5" RE Std., M/T 33" MTZ's around Classic II's