Author Topic: Qick question (rattle, bang, clunk)  (Read 13025 times)

SteveTheFolkie

• To live is to fly, all alone and high
    • View Profile
    • Steves music site
Qick question (rattle, bang, clunk)
« on: March 18, 2008, 01:18:58 pm »
Ok - after my little (accidental, unplanned) off road / horizontal telephone pole hopping trip on 03/08 the old Jeep is coming back together pretty well.  The lower control arm has been replaced, the alignment seems OK (same distance F-R on left and right side, about 1/4" toe out, steering wheel is a bit off center BUT it was a bit off center BEFORE) - I replaced the exhaust system last night (it was 10 years old and the muffler took a hit) - pounded the fender out - getting the cosmetic bits to put her all back together. 

That's the background - here comes my question (inevitable that it'd come out eventually) -

How do I check the transfercase / transmission mounts?  It feels like something is moving around down there - visual inspection didn't reveal anything - no obvious hits to the pan or t-case, no leaks BUT when I get on the gas hard there's quite a bit of vibration (well, it's relative, but there's more than there was pre-hit) - do I just lever between the t-case and the cross bar to check the mount?  The motor mounts seem fine.  Also, every once in a while (especially on rough roads) it feels like something is hitting the underside of the transmission tunnel - I looked but didn't see any obvious shiny spots where there would have been metal to metal contact, and nothing looks loose.  I do have to pull the glove box out and figure out what's rattling around behind the dash ....

Any/all ideas appreciated -

Thanks

Steve

chasm

• Blonde / Bomber...
    • View Profile
    • JeepChasm
Re: Qick question (rattle, bang, clunk)
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 02:35:50 pm »
Did the drive shafts get dinged or bent? Doesn't take much to get vibes from that. Might be easy to overlook if you can't see them turning...
Mike Hardesty aka: "chasm"
'51 CJ3A: Restored Garage Queen
'83 CJ8 Scrambler: To Do List...
'93 YJ: 2.5" R.E. lift, 31" Swamper SSR's, Olympic Rock bumper, smashed Stainless exhaust, U-bolt skids, Warn M-8000 winch.
'08 Liberty: (wife's DD)

obijon

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 02:41:39 pm »
chasm has it right - also check if the balancing weight on the driveshaft is still there, it could have been knocked off.....

C2kraft

• Chris Kraft
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 02:48:01 pm »
Not sure if this will apply to your XJ, but this is how I center my steering wheel on my LJ.

Using this link: http://www.4x4xplor.com/alignment.html look at the section pertaining to "Re-Centering Your Steering Wheel"

Hope this helps.
05 Unlimited 3.5" RE Std., M/T 33" MTZ's around Classic II's

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 11:07:32 pm »
OK, see if I got this right...

You T-Boned a pole/tree while wheeling and now have vibration issues...?

It could be a motor mount. While sitting you can look all you want and NOT notice it, but it could be damaged and the simple weight of the vehicle rests down without visible notice.

A body mount could also be "tweaked" a bit which will through the drive line out of wack. So damn many things to look for on this one. I've lost shaft weights before without issues, but I'm running a short wheel-based CJ.....BIG DIFFERENCE comparred to a  longer XJ drive line.

GOOD LUCK
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

STEVIESYJ

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 12:31:27 pm »
When I lifted my old cherokee i got a vibration from the exhaust basicaly laying on the cross member, it sounded like a cow bell almost at times (No pun intended Steve B ;D) just a thought....
Always a work in progress!!  Build, break, repeat!!
5" BDS lift 37"'s ARB Belly-Up Almost Done!!!! (For Now!!!)

SteveTheFolkie

• View Profile
    • Steves music site
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 01:38:17 pm »
OK, see if I got this right...

You T-Boned a pole/tree while wheeling and now have vibration issues...?

It could be a motor mount. While sitting you can look all you want and NOT notice it, but it could be damaged and the simple weight of the vehicle rests down without visible notice.

A body mount could also be "tweaked" a bit which will through the drive line out of wack. So damn many things to look for on this one. I've lost shaft weights before without issues, but I'm running a short wheel-based CJ.....BIG DIFFERENCE comparred to a  longer XJ drive line.

GOOD LUCK
Rick - naw - I drove up and over a telephone pole (it was laying down in a ditch) - taco'd the right side LCA, blew out a tire and crunched the muffler -

SteveTheFolkie

• View Profile
    • Steves music site
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 01:40:00 pm »
Thanks guys - when (if?) it stops raining I'll shinny under the old XJ and look at the exhaust system, see if it's closer to anything than it should be - then I'll drop the driveshaft and take it to a local shop to get the balance checked - the DS didn't look like it took a hit - but that's a darned good idea -

Steve

SteveTheFolkie

• View Profile
    • Steves music site
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2008, 04:12:15 pm »
'twas the exhaust pipe - where it passes between the cross member and the body - it was bent just a tad high - one of my favorite fine adjustment tools (3' crowbar) and a couple good yanks (there are advantages to being a big ole' boy sometimes) got 'er repositioned and quiet -

Thanks for the hints and tips

Steve

STEVIESYJ

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2008, 05:47:37 pm »

i had a feeling, and glad we could help.... ;D

SteveTheFolkie

• View Profile
    • Steves music site
« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2008, 03:03:06 pm »
Not sure if this will apply to your XJ, but this is how I center my steering wheel on my LJ.

Using this link: http://www.4x4xplor.com/alignment.html look at the section pertaining to "Re-Centering Your Steering Wheel"

Hope this helps.
Worked like a charm - thanks!

STEVIESYJ

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2008, 06:35:36 pm »
Comes in handy owning an XJ and killing it..LOL glad it worked..... good luck

SteveTheFolkie

• View Profile
    • Steves music site
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2008, 05:08:31 pm »
True happiness can be found in a new transmission cross member - blew the $145 to get one from the stealership - the old one was more whacked than I thought it was - a good 2" to high - new one bolted right up - and man howdy - what a change - she's back to her old smooth self (like single malt scotch!) -

Thanks to all who lent an ear and opinion - it's nice to have the old girl fixed up again!

Steve

STEVIESYJ

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2008, 07:11:19 pm »
If you need a factory part I live in york and work at a dodge store, so I can get Jeep parts....