Author Topic: Wheel Bearings  (Read 10073 times)

Rusty XJ

• Rickie Wilson Jr.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Wheel Bearings
« on: January 15, 2008, 07:07:38 pm »
Alright, since buying my Jeep I have replaced the R/F hub once and the L/F hub twice. The guys at Advance are starting to give me a hassle about the warranty. I just figured out the R/F needs replaced again. I know the hubs I get from them aren't meant to withstand larger tires and offroad so what are my alternatives? I mean what are my alternatives besides the $1,200 conversion kit from Warn. ???
Rick Wilson Jr.
Is that DEATH WOBBLE or did we just enter Pennsylvania?
'95 XJ 2 Door, 4.0, 5spd, 7" random lift, 35x12.5 BFG ATs, 4.56 gears, Dana 44 Mini-spooled, Dana 30 w/ Detroit Truetrac and manual hubs, Bushwacker Flares, Warrior Front Bumper, JCR Rear Bumper, etc etc...

Rusty XJ

• Rickie Wilson Jr.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: Wheel Bearings
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2008, 12:18:01 pm »
Hopefully the new wheel bearing and the 4 month old one will last long enough to get the conversion kit cause from what i see that's ALL I can do. I have 2 used ones on my other Jeep as backups :-)
Rick Wilson Jr.
'95 XJ 2 Door, 4.0, 5spd, 7" random lift, 35x12.5 BFG ATs, 4.56 gears, Dana 44 Mini-spooled, Dana 30 w/ Detroit Truetrac and manual hubs, Bushwacker Flares, Warrior Front Bumper, JCR Rear Bumper, etc etc...

CJ8Ted

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2008, 04:37:14 pm »
The first thing I thought of is the torque of the stub shaft nut.
I think the $1200 is a lot of cash, for that you could buy Mopar ones and still have $ left over.
 I like being able to unlock my hubs (CJ 30) untill it snows (and there unlocked while I'm driving), or I'm repacking the front wheel bearings (w/ new seals) just becouse I wanted to check them, or the worst is when I'm replacing them couse they get contaminated with H2O.

Ted
85' CJ8 on 33s w/ 4.56s

Rusty XJ

• Rickie Wilson Jr.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2008, 09:13:35 pm »
The last time I replaced the left side and this time when replacing the right side I torqued them both to 250ft lbs. This is the spec the guy at Fischel told me when I called. The left one has held up for 4 months so far, not long enough yet to see if it will last.
Rick Wilson Jr.

CJ8Ted

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2008, 04:39:59 pm »
I have found the torque spec to be 175 lbs. ::)
Ted
85' CJ8 on 33s w/ 4.56s

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2008, 09:43:25 pm »
250 ft pounds of torque seems too much to me....Ted's figure sounds more true to me.
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

Blacksahara1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2008, 12:27:34 pm »
Yeah, my 03TJ is 175, so I'd assume the XJ should be the same.

What size wheel/tire AND what backspacing are you running on your wheels?  How many miles are you getting out of them before noticing any problems?