Author Topic: Carb & Vacuume questions  (Read 9036 times)

BennyLT

• View Profile
Carb & Vacuume questions
« on: January 07, 2008, 03:38:20 pm »
Im currently reinstalling a rebuilt 4.2 in my 89 YJ.  everything is in except the radiator, power steering and all the vacuum lines. 

I want to do the nutter before i even start this back up.  Havnt gotten an MC2100 yet but im in the works. 

I found (what i think are) good nutter instructions, but not much on what vacuume hoses i can leave out.  Can anyone tell me what i need to keep and what i can plug.  I think this will greatly simplify the rest of my install, and help tuning.  No i dont have emissions inspection to deal with. 

Im going to be keeping the carter for now, but i plan to upgrade to the 2100, or weber in the near future. 

p.s. I have an older holley double pumper available to me.  would it be foolish to try to put that on?   

89 YJ - work in process
4.2L - bored 60 over - tow cam
Jasper auto trans
Still needs some things to be done before she is ready for the road/trail.

cjbroke

BennyLT

• View Profile
Re: Carb & Vacuume questions
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2008, 12:22:10 pm »
Thanks. 

I have both the chilton and haynes manuals for the stock configeration.  that allong with those sites will at least be a good start. 

Again my goal is to eliminate as many hoses (i.e. potential vaccuum leaks) as possible.

Cjbroke,   what set up are you running?

89 YJ - work in process
Jasper auto trans

cjbroke

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2008, 12:42:56 pm »
See my PM.

CJ8Ted

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2008, 07:55:05 pm »
I think you want it to run as best as you can get it to run before you do the Nutter.

I have read good things about the MC2100

What CFM is the Holley double pumper? I was thinking the offroad one but the small one is still 600CFM.

Ted
85' CJ8 on 33s w/ 4.56s

BennyLT

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2008, 08:15:27 am »
I think you want it to run as best as you can get it to run before you do the Nutter.

I have read good things about the MC2100

What CFM is the Holley double pumper? I was thinking the offroad one but the small one is still 600CFM.

Ted

Im not sure of the CFM on the holley, it is an OLD one, but its at my friend's garage so i cant look it over untill the weekend.  What CFM should i be looking for?  isnt the jeep around 450? 

not sure if i can get it running well without nuttering it.  The motor has been bored 60 over, and has an upgraded tow cam in it now.  I think it will be a nightmare to try to get it timed with the ECU working against me... What do you think? 
89 YJ - work in process
Jasper auto trans

CJ8Ted

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2008, 05:33:21 pm »
I thought you had to get it up to temp and at idle to do the Nutter?

I think the Carter is like 390, not sure.
I did see that they do sell a 470 and depending on your cam that may work for you.

Ted
85' CJ8 on 33s w/ 4.56s

BennyLT

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2008, 08:32:15 am »
I thought you had to get it up to temp and at idle to do the Nutter?
Ted

There is apparently a way to take the motor off the back of the carb and manually move the pins to the full warm position.  at least thats what i read.   I would rather not install everything to stock just to warm it up, then take a lot of it off again. 
89 YJ - work in process
Jasper auto trans