Author Topic: CJ heater blower motor  (Read 6065 times)

haulin glass

• View Profile
CJ heater blower motor
« on: December 26, 2007, 10:06:07 pm »
Do I need to remove the entire duct system to replace the heater motor? I see a small round cover under the dash that looks like it might get access to the heater motor but I don't want to just take stuff apart until I know how to attack the problem. I also have heard of people upgrading to a GM blower motor instead of one for a jeep. Does any one know what type or model?
Thanks Glenn.

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
Re: CJ heater blower motor
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2007, 12:35:12 am »
I won't be attacking mine until spring, crapped out a couple months ago. So did the rear ARB, but that's an electrical issue to deal with. It's been some time, but IF I remember you damn near have to remove the duct work to get to it. Did one back in 85 so the memory banks are foggy.
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

obijon

« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 10:08:15 am »
 I remember JP magazine did a bit on cj blowers - they replaced it w/one form a YJ, check their website...

haulin glass

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2008, 09:55:07 pm »
I installed my heater motor today. I put one that was for a 1973 Full size Blazer 350 v-8. Another Jeep board gave me the link to to the fix. It wasn't too bad. The biggest issue was cutting the hole in the firewall bigger. The GM motor was 3 1/4" diameter versus the factory jeep motor is 2 3/4" other  than that everything matched up perfectly. This motor moves allot more air than the factory motor. My jeep is  fiberglass so I think it was easier to cut the hole bigger than it would have been a metal. I only removed the card board glove box and dropped the duct assembly without taking the dash out. I didn't even unhook the dash cables. It took about 2 1/2 hours to complete. The other item I had to remove was the battery holder.
Glenn. ;Dl one.