Author Topic: Squeal from the serp belt  (Read 6920 times)

SteveTheFolkie

• To live is to fly, all alone and high
    • View Profile
    • Steves music site
Squeal from the serp belt
« on: December 10, 2007, 09:50:49 am »
Ok Ladies and Gents -

My son has an '87 XJ - recently replaced the serp belt.  Now the tension seems fine (about 3/8" deflection across the longest top run under  moderate pressure) - however - after it warms up she screams like a banshee -

Now, for a bit more information he did blow off a tranmission cooler line (the clamp was fubar where the rubber hose connects to the hard line going to the radiator) and soak the underside of the jeep with at least six quarts of ATF - so it's possible that the crankshaft pulley is just slick as snot on a glass doorknob - but I was wondering (as our two XJ's are my first step(s) into the Jeep experience) - is there a harmonic balancer incorporated into the crank pulley?  In my previous life (Saab's) a persistent squeal was a sign of a deteriorating harmonic balancer on the crank -

The squeal DOES seem to be coming from the crank pulley - it's not alternator bearings nor is it associated with the AC compressor or PS pump.

Any and all suggestions will be appreciated -

Cheers

Steve

CJ8Ted

• View Profile
Re: Squeal from the serp belt
« Reply #1 on: December 11, 2007, 10:52:19 pm »
Sounds like the new belt may have become dirty w/ the ATF that was on the pulleys. Maby wash it off w/ mild soap and water.
Mine has a serp. belt and the crank pulley and balancer are all one, I think yours is also.
Good luck.
Ted
85' CJ8 on 33s w/ 4.56s

SteveTheFolkie

• To live is to fly, all alone and high
    • View Profile
    • Steves music site
Re: Squeal from the serp belt - problem resolved
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2008, 09:07:06 am »
Turns out the old serp belt had laid down a lot of rubber bits in the grooves - we removed the serp, used brake cleaner and a brass brush to make 'em squeaky clean, installed a new serp belt (higher quality than my kid had originally purchased) and found happiness - fun project for New Years Eve .... at least now he doesn't sound like he's strangling a cat when he heads down the road -