Author Topic: 1999 TJ  (Read 7579 times)

locojipr

• View Profile
1999 TJ
« on: January 04, 2010, 07:19:21 pm »
Im thinking about buying this 99 TJ.  It has a 4cyl w a 5 speed,  mild lift and 34s.  has 78,000 miles on it and 3.73s in the rears.  How powerless is this Jeep going to be?  The seller says it has some pep but obviously wont smoke the tires off.  44 rear and 30 front.  I never had a Jeep this new and have not driven a Tj either.  Let me know what ya think or know!  ThanksTim
Tim McClincy ---2007 JK 2door  Wrangler... Zone 3" lift...33" Hankook Dynapro MT...MB Chaos wheels...4.10s....XRC8 winch

2012 Unlimited JK Wrangler---32" Maxxis BigHorn tires---Black Aluminum Procomp wheels- (wife's daily driver)

Davew

• Jenn's On Board Mechanic
    • View Profile
Re: 1999 TJ
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2010, 02:56:06 pm »
373:1 and 34's you have an effective gear ratio of 297:1  It's going to be a slug. If it's a good deal buy it and regear with 456:1 or 488:1
Stupidity, if left untreated is self-correcting

dhaines

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2010, 06:48:43 pm »
Something doesn't sound right. 4 bangers came with 4:10 gears and I don't think you could get a 44 in them either. Check for tags on the rears if they were changed going to 3:73s was a mistake. Look it over good!
Happy Trails & Good Wheelin  Denny Haines

Davew

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2010, 07:10:58 pm »
good catch Denny , with 410:1 it will still be down on power effective ratio of  325:1

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 05, 2010, 08:11:49 pm »
Yeah, it sounds like that rear axle was swapped out. Those 99's came with a D35 did they not...? The 44 came factory later on...?

Not having the D35 is to your benefit..."JUNK" IMO...You're looking at a D44 now and better off even with a 4 banger.
Those gears will do you well on the trail. Yeah, you might falter on the highway getting to where you want to go, but not that far behind.

C'mon guys...In 4th gear with that 4 "popper" he should be running equal to a 6 cyl. with 3:54's.....5th gear should equal/better him out...Not all that bad but better off on the trail.....right ?
Jeeps with 4 cylinders are "trashed" because drivers have abuse the skinny pedal. I've made that statement already but have been with those that "feather" it with success of road.
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

Davew

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2010, 03:33:25 pm »
This all relative to to power it had when it was stock. Will it roll down the road and get up to speed ? Yes, just not quickly. On the trail in low range it'll be adequate. Somehow I don't think he or we are getting the whole story. "he should be running equal to a 6 cyl. with 3:54's" remember there is no replacement for cubic displacement.

j.haffly

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 04:41:16 pm »
Being the owner of a 97 TJ SE....4-banger, 4.10 gears....33" tires....yea, on the highway, I'm a dog, but I have no issues with that....low and slow I say....do I wish I had better highway speeds?  Hell yea....but when it all comes down to it....my 4-banger does great on the trail....it it's a good deal, go for it....if it does actually have a 44 in the rear, you are ahead of the game....one less swap down the road!!!

Oh yea, I should have her at the show this year!!!!  I should have my new Tom Woods driveshaft this weekend or early next week at the latest....

Jim

Yeah, it sounds like that rear axle was swapped out. Those 99's came with a D35 did they not...? The 44 came factory later on...?

Not having the D35 is to your benefit..."JUNK" IMO...You're looking at a D44 now and better off even with a 4 banger.
Those gears will do you well on the trail. Yeah, you might falter on the highway getting to where you want to go, but not that far behind.

C'mon guys...In 4th gear with that 4 "popper" he should be running equal to a 6 cyl. with 3:54's.....5th gear should equal/better him out...Not all that bad but better off on the trail.....right ?
Jeeps with 4 cylinders are "trashed" because drivers have abuse the skinny pedal. I've made that statement already but have been with those that "feather" it with success of road.
Jim "I'm Jonesing for some off-roading" Haffly