Author Topic: '79 258 exhaust manifold-CJ inspection  (Read 8233 times)

cjbroke

'79 258 exhaust manifold-CJ inspection
« on: May 04, 2009, 12:50:53 pm »
On the above engine is it normal for the last, towards firewall on top, bolt to go into the water jacket?

I was pulling the manifold and when I took that bolt out it was accompanied by a stream of coolant.

I also need to find an "old Jeep friendly' inspection station. Hanover area.
How's that place in Dover? Mt Zion?

Do I really need side markers? Or is it a gotta work if you have them thing.

Yes, I've read the PA inspection criteria, many times.

chasm

• Blonde / Bomber...
    • View Profile
    • JeepChasm
Re: '79 258 exhaust manifold-CJ inspection
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2009, 03:02:44 pm »
My inspection guy in Littlestown has been "Jeep Friendly" with my YJ, but he could not cut me any slack on the side markers. Fortunately, it was just a bad socket.

(I have had no problems there with my loud exhaust system, or tires sticking out past the flares...)

PM me about the location if you want to talk to him.
Mike Hardesty aka: "chasm"
'51 CJ3A: Restored Garage Queen
'83 CJ8 Scrambler: To Do List...
'93 YJ: 2.5" R.E. lift, 31" Swamper SSR's, Olympic Rock bumper, smashed Stainless exhaust, U-bolt skids, Warn M-8000 winch.
'08 Liberty: (wife's DD)

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2009, 02:46:37 am »
The family at Mount Zion are "Jeepers" through and through, but I can't speak for their inspection criteria here.....
Yes, sidemarkers if fitted with them need to be in working order.
Duct tape a pen light under the fender....I never tried it, but it might work  :P
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

cjbroke

« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2009, 08:58:28 am »
Did the stock CJ tail lights actually have a side marker? Or just a reflector in the side of the tail light?
I'll have to dig around and look at the old ones, I went with round inset taillights.

I cut my front fenders, so those lights are gone. I can easily rig up some side markers, is it worth the effort? I don't know.

How about this one-   is it normal for a manifold bolt to go into the water jacket? 

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2009, 09:01:43 am »
ive seen it on a couple muscle cars ive owned over the years.
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2009, 12:03:17 am »
Stock CJ tail lights have a clear plactic square on the side so the marker light can shine through.....Got a decent pair here if you're interested in buying them. Just have to locate them.

Yeah, I've seen a manifold bolt designed to enter the water jacket. On my brothers Super-Bird (not the Super-Bee - or maybe the other way around) way back when. What a shame that car is gone now...Would be priceless today. Now, that was a car made/designed to take from the dealership directly to ANY NASCAR track and record professional track speed trials.
If my memory doesn't fail me that motor was a 440 with three double pumpers known as a "Six-Pack". As a young boy it was so damn cool seeing that factory motor sticking up through the hood. That bolt also had a small inlet valve in the top for..? I can't recall what for though. I only know this because I helped him replace the head gasket. Well, I handed tools and tried to learn as he and his "motor-head" bud did the work. That's where I aquired the liking to the smell of automotive fluids.....Mmmm-Mmmm-Good  :P
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

cjbroke

« Reply #6 on: May 06, 2009, 08:06:19 am »
Thanks Rick. I have an old set of lights somewhere. I replaced mine with the round style, cut into the body.
I'll just add some small marker lights to the rear qtr panel.

ddechri

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2009, 10:08:11 am »
A '79 should have side markers in the quarter panels from the factory. Mine does. The lenses are the same as the front markers, only red. Hoak's stocks them.
Later on they got integrated into the tail lights.

I've had my exhaust manifold off plenty of times without coolant coming out of any of the bolt holes. Maybe yours isn't a '79?

- Dave
Dave DeChristopher
'79 CJ-7: 4.0L, T18, bronco geared Dana 20, D30/D44 (locked), Warn 8274
'60 Willys PU: IH 304 V8, wide T19, Dana 18, OD, PTO Winch, SOA D44/D53(Power Lock) w/4.27's, 33's,
'68 CJ5 - Dauntless, SM420 (project)
'98 Dodge Ram 2500 12V CTD QC LWB
"Where ever I go, there's I AM"