Author Topic: Should I buy this questionable XJ  (Read 6326 times)

dtowngoalie

• View Profile
Should I buy this questionable XJ
« on: March 28, 2009, 07:36:39 pm »
So I was looking around for a lift for me jeep and I happen to be contacted by this guy who's buddy is selling a pretty modified XJ.

Here's his email to me.

"A friend of mine is trying to sell a 88 XJ.  He won't part it dosen't have the place to do it.  Hes asking $2200.  It has a Rustys 6" lift ($1200 new), olympic winch front bumper ($500 new) , rear air tank bumper (homemade).  33" procomp xtrain tires half tread on 15x8 black steelies.  Front axle is dana 30 4.10 gears I think with loc rite and a heavy duty ribbed diff cover (has like $800 into it).  Rear is dana 35 with the super 35 kit and detroit locker 4.10 gears (has like $1800 into it).  Rock sliders ($300) A good deal just need to swap out parts and sell off the unused stuff."

My motivation is to buy this jeep, swap over the suspension, bumpers and axles then junk it.  The body and interior are not up to par and the motor seems to be pretty tired.  Today I went down to check it out... 

1. The guy told me he bought it as it is.  He also told me that he knows the things locked, but he doesn't know how.  First sign of suspision, how does the friend know what its locked with and the owner doesn't?

2.  Its definetily a 4.5" lift with shackles and spacers.

3.  This thing has death wobble like crazy at 35 mph, it litterally hops across the road. 

The owner was extremely nice and patient while we looked over the car.  What I'm really concerned about is if its locked or not... and I didn't really want to powerbrake the guys jeep to see if it lit both tires up or not.  What's your guys input on this questionable jeep?

Death Wobble

• Angie Zinn - Wall St. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: Should I buy this questionable XJ
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2009, 08:16:36 pm »
If you want to figure in a price on your labor, you may well reconsider this purchase.  Besides that, my red flag would go up if I couldn't get two straight stories on the history of the thing and its usage/parts. 

Then, if you do the swap out, do you junk it right away or try to sell off parts?  It might sit for quite some time until you part it all out.  Do you have the time/space/inclination for that scenario?

Suspension is pretty important stuff. As for me, I'd be scared to buy and re-install a used one.  If it fails, who do you sue?  :P

(Just my worthless opinion.  Feel free to disagree with me)!  ;)
'88 XJ Limited:  4.5" ZONE lift, 32x11.5x15 BFG KM2s, JKS Quicker Discos, Kevin's Off Road rock rails.
'96 XJ Sport: 31x10.5 BFGs, 3" Rusty's lift.
Listen to Clutch.
(and your gut instincts)
CENSORSHIP IS UNAMERICAN!

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2009, 08:33:52 pm »
i say check for lockers. when you test drove it did the frt make a clicking sound around corners good sign(unless its a cv frt axle)
if its got the lockers talk him down buy it strip sell it. dont have time or room have some buddys and a case of bear and a weekend  and go to town.the trans case, rad, other odds and ends like that add up. jmo but hell im a jeep pack rat so...
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

CJ8Ted

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2009, 08:50:30 pm »
The front is probably a lunchbox locker if it has one at all (no big value).
I would make sure it has a Super 35 kit If it does I think it has to be a Detroit or ARB as far as I know they are the only opitions for 30 spline.

Don't sound like a bad deal for the dough.
Ted

« Last Edit: March 29, 2009, 06:46:06 am by CJ8Ted »
85' CJ8 on 33s w/ 4.56s

dtowngoalie

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2009, 08:54:37 pm »
I really have no idea if it has a super 35 kit, or for that matter, what a super 35 kit looks like.  I assume you have to take the axle apart to find out...  I'll check to see if it has lockers by jacking it up and spinning the tires and such.  The death wobble kinda scares me, it appears to be stock steering for the most part.   I'll have to take another look and let you guys know
« Last Edit: March 28, 2009, 10:01:36 pm by dtowngoalie »

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2009, 06:01:30 am »
For the price, not a bad deal at all.

1) Swapping suspension systems is common, don't be concerned.
2) You should feel the locker in the front quite easily when turning as it engages and dis-engages.
3) The Super 35 kit comes in various ways depending on the brand, lock-rite, Detroit, and ARB.
   a) Pulling the differential cover will reveal which locker is installed, if it's an ARB you'll see the airline entering the diff without pulling the cover, as well as the interior switch.
   b) Most of these kits come with 30 spline axles, however some do have 27 spline to reduce cost.

Call and ask to open it up and see to be sure. Bring a supply of gear oil with you.
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

CJ8Ted

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2009, 06:45:39 am »
Yea 30 spline not 35 spline had to "edit" that one. ;)

Ted
85' CJ8 on 33s w/ 4.56s