Author Topic: dana 300 wont seal  (Read 12130 times)

sean1

• View Profile
dana 300 wont seal
« on: April 10, 2011, 06:26:52 pm »
bought a dana 300 with a 4-1 kit already in it. swapped out input shaft to match my tranny. put it in first time with single lip seal. it leaked between the tranny and t-case. pulled it back out. put in a double lip seal and more rtv between bearing housing and 300 shell. got it back in didnt make it out of garage before most of the oil ran out.  oil is coming out of the adapter between the t-176 and the 300. tranny oil level has stayed the same.

only thing i can come up with is maybe the bearing housing is tweaked or something and wont seal. ????? any suggestions?

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
Re: dana 300 wont seal
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2011, 03:46:45 am »
Look into installing a "clocking ring" with a "speedi sleeve"

"Google" them if you don't know what I'm talking about.
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

Jeremy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2011, 08:51:49 am »
If memory serves me right,  [strike]the Dana 300 MIGHT be designed to leak back and forth between the tranny and the transfercase. This was to help keep the bearings lubed up.  [/strike]  Keep in mind I am vaguely trying to remember a old jeep magazine article with this information and you need to confirm my addled memories.   I will release my google-fu and see if I can confirm this.

http://www.4x4wire.com/tech/dana300/  Interesting stuff in this article.

Edit:  My google-fu is weak,  consider the strike out full of crap unless someone else can confirm me,  though several post have said that once the void between the two is filled with oil it is not a horrible problem.  I also found a transmission to transfercase seal at AA and Novak.
Jeremy Meehan

Joe Giglio

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2011, 01:21:43 pm »
I am in process of putting in a D300 into my YJ with the AX-15. I have an adapter from Advanced Adapters. The instruction state that there is a breather slot milled on the back of the transmission that I need to seal with RTV. You might have something similar.

Joe

sean1

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2011, 08:30:10 am »
I'm not sure that a breather hole on the tranny would make my t-case empty of fluid. I know there is a weep hole on the bottom of the adapter that goes between the tranny and t-case. Some have said to plug that up and just forget it. I'd rather fix the problem

BCjeeper

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2011, 07:46:59 am »
Have you filled it on the bench to see where it's leaking? Might help to figure out how to stop it.
Jim Neidrich

sean1

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2011, 01:11:32 pm »
I think I have narrowed it down to a bad bearing retainer. Had another one sitting around with just a single lip seal in it. Put it in. Noticed a very slow drip after driving it for a while. Much better than emptying the case in less than a minute. Thinking I will replace the old seal that was in the second retainer and see if that completely stops all leaking.

sean1

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2011, 07:29:35 pm »
Rick, question about speedi sleeve. What I read claims they are good to help in the event of a worn shaft. This input shaft is brand new. Would it still be helpful?  Also I have read that I must drop tranny as well mate together on a bench, then put it back in jeep all as one unit. Some say you don't have to. What is your take on that? Thanks for everyones help.

sean1

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2011, 06:36:23 am »
im pretty sure i have solved my issue.  i continued to look to the t-case for the leaking since that was the first thing that i noticed leaking and it was the only new part.  after another attempt failed i pulled the staock adapter off between the tranny and t-case so i could mate them up an the floor thinking i was messing something up.  thats when i realized that the rear tranny seal rides on the input shaft of the t-case.  things i should have probably learned before i tackeled this.  got a seal extender from novak and it seems to be fine now.  thanks again for all the advice