Author Topic: 97 Cherokee (hard to start)  (Read 6264 times)

slain

97 Cherokee (hard to start)
« on: February 04, 2009, 03:59:43 pm »
I have a 1997 Cherokee with an I6 that takes a significant amount of cranks of the engine before she'll fire up. Once she's warm she'll turn right over. Replacing the crank position sensor has been suggested. Does anyone else have any ideas or suggestions?

Death Wobble

• Angie Zinn - Wall St. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: 97 Cherokee (hard to start)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2009, 07:17:17 pm »
I had a similar problem last summer with my '88 where it would crank, but not start at all.  All I did was disconnect the 2 halves of the CPS connector, blow on them, and reconnect them.  Started right up, no hesitation.  Your results may vary.  ;)  P.S. I haven't replaced the CPS yet.

'88 XJ Limited:  4.5" ZONE lift, 32x11.5x15 BFG KM2s, JKS Quicker Discos, Kevin's Off Road rock rails.
'96 XJ Sport: 31x10.5 BFGs, 3" Rusty's lift.
Listen to Clutch.
(and your gut instincts)
CENSORSHIP IS UNAMERICAN!

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2009, 07:36:36 pm »

This might seem obvious, but have ya checked for OBD "Codes"? In a carbureted engine (which I know this isn't) and it was hard to start when cold, but not when hot, would tell me to check the choke 'cause the fuel mixture isn't rich enough. Maybe a Sensor in the TB?? The easiest thing to do is to re-set the computer/sensor parameters. Disconnect the battery, turn the ignition key on (as if to start) for 30 seconds, reconnect the battery, start the engine and let it idle for 3 minutes. DO NOT touch the gas peddle, just let it idle. This hypothesis is, of course, based on very limited experience, or more precisely, a WAG ::), but I hope it helps.

Tattoo 8)

The only way to know your limits...  is to surpass them!

Don't Shop - Adopt
   "Save Your Best Friends Life, Adopt a Rescue"
       If it's not a Dobermann, it's just a Dawg...

slain

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2009, 04:18:17 pm »
No ODB codes. I replaced the crank position sensor this weekend which wasn't fun but it's replaced. BTW...the service manuals tells you to go through the top to get to it which I found to be impossible. I needed like 3-4 extensions to reach it from underneath. The bolts at 11mm...btw. The CPS that was on the engine looked to be original, so I just replaced it with a new one which was 116.00 instead of cleaning it. It starts a lot better now.

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2009, 05:32:43 pm »

OK...  I was wrong, BUT I did say it was a WAG ::)

Tattoo 8)

The only way to know your limits...  is to surpass them!

Don't Shop - Adopt
   "Save Your Best Friends Life, Adopt a Rescue"
       If it's not a Dobermann, it's just a Dawg...

slain

« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2009, 09:22:08 pm »
hrmm the CPS didn't fix the problem. I hate these kind of problems.

emgraz

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2009, 11:21:56 pm »
Guess it's back to the drawin board!!!   :P

Erica
Matt and Erica Graziosi

2000 Sahara with 3" BDS suspension lift, BFG mud terrain 33's, jks disconnects, Rhino Lining...(we're starting the JEEP mantra, we're emptying our pockets......)  ***Just added ARB Rocker Guards***