Author Topic: 2005 Jeep Liberty Sport  (Read 10944 times)

Itikuo

2005 Jeep Liberty Sport
« on: July 30, 2009, 07:53:43 pm »
Hey all hope I can get some help here. I've come to the realization that Goodyear Wrangler ST tires suck as I've hydroplaned already going less 10 mph on a 45 and a 90 degree turn. The tread is still brand new Only 3,000 miles on the tires so far and I'm use to driving high center of gravity vehicles so I have to say its the crappy tires that I'm not use to.

I say this coming from using a Saturn SL1 with tires so good I would make it up snowy/icy hills that 4x4 and AWD could not do. (recalls the jaw dropped dumb look of a guy in a ford truck 4x4 on Progress  Ave that little incline past 711 going towards RT-22)

Anyway I'll probly have a price range of about $600 at the very most for new tires. And yes replacing all 4. Goodyear is having a buy 3 get 4th free sale right now.

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
Re: 2005 Jeep Liberty Sport
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2009, 11:56:51 pm »
You'll most likely get the same results no matter what rubber is under it. It's a Liberty  :-\
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

Blue KJ in PA

• Brian Davis
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2009, 12:03:49 am »
I'm getting 5 Bridgestone Dueler AT Revos installed for $656...the original Revos not the Revo 2.  All they did was tweak the tread a little to make it a quieter tire.
Brian Davis
2003 Jeep KJ, Liberty Sport
Rock Lizard Super Skinks and Bridgestone Dueller Revos currently only non stock items
On the horizon is a Frankenlift

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2009, 01:04:48 pm »

Goodyear is having a buy 3 get 4th free sale right now

Isn't Goodyear what you're running right now, and you're complaining about them. Did ya ever wonder why they're knocking 25% off  ???  Maybe it's because nobody is buying them.

I'm not sure I agree with your statement about an SL1 (fwd car) doing hills better then a 4x4, but if he inappropriate tires...

I do believe that tires will make a big difference. The reason vehicle Manuf buy these hard rubber compound tires is cause they last. They don't know, nor care, where this vehicle is gonna be driven. If you want tires that grip wet roads then you'll need to select a tire with a softer compound rubber (less milage) with lots of sipping. Then you'll see a big difference in traction. What's the reason for getting a KJ? Just a DD, or do ya plan on getting it dirty?

Tattoo

The only way to know your limits...  is to surpass them!

Don't Shop - Adopt
   "Save Your Best Friends Life, Adopt a Rescue"
       If it's not a Dobermann, it's just a Dawg...

Itikuo

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2009, 03:35:06 pm »
Well budget for one while still in college. Second yes I've already taken it through many mud pools and there is this large ass water puddle the next street over whenever it rains i'm talking 3+ inches deep I use to wash the mudd off my car sometimes.

I only consider a good year because I looked up a site for tires I can get and a good year was second on the list of the best. Granted this list doesn't cover all the tires and there are plenty more better ones and probably cheaper too even with a 25% off deal.

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2009, 04:04:39 pm »
   Of course, all these manufactures make dozens of styles of tires for hundreds of vehicles so being called the best is dependent on who's criteria you use (I have nothing against GY). Never the less, here's a tire I've used. It works great on-road and maybe ok off-road (after all it is an All-Terrain, not a Mud-Terrain). Anyway... it's not very expensive, it's quiet on the highway and works really good in the snow. I put a set on my Wife's WJ last fall so she can get up the driveway. My DW is a steep up-hill and about 156 ft long. I've run 'em many years on my XJ when it was stock, I really liked them. Well look at this... PepBoys (usually) run a buy 3 get one FREE.

Anyway... here's a picture of it

Just thought I'd pass this along seeing how I've been busting on ya. No hard feelings?

Tattoo 8)

Don't Shop - Adopt

Itikuo

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2009, 04:16:29 pm »
Well I found out something interesting about my vehicle. It appears Chrysler did a recall over a ball bearing wearing out to fast which causes loss of control of the vehicle. I checked the records of my vehicle and there is no document showing it went in for the recall. This could mean the previous owner didn't know about it and i'm suffering but as I recall myself a recall is a recall and if my Jeep falls in the category I'm entitled to it being fixed first or second owner or not.

I'm checking the details right now and trying to figure out how I can determine if my Jeep is in the recall. Its calling for all Jeep Liberty models from 2002-2006 virtually all 830,000 jeeps built those years have been recalled.

Also would anyone know some cheap ways to increase gas mileage on a jeep. I know a K&N filter can increase anywhere from 1mpg to 4mpg out of experience and only cost like $50ish. But are there other methods? I saw some electronic device you attach to the batter to improve gas mileage by up to 10%*(like to see that) but it looks to fake to be true.

I guess the best way to increase gas mileage is increase performance which should help a little on the gas.

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2009, 04:43:06 pm »
   You should be able to just call a Dealer (Service Dept) and tell them your VIN and they can look it up. They have no reason not to tell ya, they get paid for Recall work.

attach to the batter to improve gas mileage by up to 10%*

That equates to about 1.7 mpg, which a new set of plugs or a new air filter should do. A (real) Cold Air Intake will increase your mpg, but they're certainly not $50 ish, more like $150-$200+ and I'm sure it's worth it in the long run, but not short term. Probably just an K&N filter would surfice. Everyone says that you should be able to run plugs 100,000 miles, but I think your mpg would suffer, even if a little, after 30K.

Of course, the above is just my opinion and your results may vary...

Tatt :-\

Don't Shop - Adopt

Itikuo

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2009, 05:31:39 pm »
Yeah my local tax return just arrived so I can fix up my KJ a little with new air intake and some HP plugs. But again I'm still contemplating on switching to Patriot. Like I keep saying I got a dirt bike and still plan in the future to buy a used wrangler for offroading super fun time. Nothing wrong with having two jeeps is there?

Blue KJ in PA

• Brian Davis
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2009, 06:30:09 pm »
Well I found out something interesting about my vehicle. It appears Chrysler did a recall over a ball bearing wearing out to fast which causes loss of control of the vehicle. I checked the records of my vehicle and there is no document showing it went in for the recall. This could mean the previous owner didn't know about it and i'm suffering but as I recall myself a recall is a recall and if my Jeep falls in the category I'm entitled to it being fixed first or second owner or not.

I'm checking the details right now and trying to figure out how I can determine if my Jeep is in the recall. Its calling for all Jeep Liberty models from 2002-2006 virtually all 830,000 jeeps built those years have been recalled.

Also would anyone know some cheap ways to increase gas mileage on a jeep. I know a K&N filter can increase anywhere from 1mpg to 4mpg out of experience and only cost like $50ish. But are there other methods? I saw some electronic device you attach to the batter to improve gas mileage by up to 10%*(like to see that) but it looks to fake to be true.

I guess the best way to increase gas mileage is increase performance which should help a little on the gas.

Go to Jeep.com  owners section and their is a spot where you can type in your VIN to check for outstanding recalls... http://www.jeep.com/en/owners/   Then go to LOSTKJs.com and you can find out all the answers to the mpg...most of them have been tried repeatedly and proven nearly worthless.
Brian Davis
2003 Jeep KJ, Liberty Sport
Rock Lizard Super Skinks and Bridgestone Dueller Revos currently only non stock items
On the horizon is a Frankenlift

Death Wobble

• Angie Zinn - Wall St. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2009, 09:51:13 pm »
Also would anyone know some cheap ways to increase gas mileage on a jeep. 

Other stuff that doesn't involve installing parts:

Drive the speed limit.
Clean all the junk out of it that you don't need (more weight=less MPG).
Keep tires inflated to proper pressure.
Do all your shopping at once instead of running to the store for one item.
'88 XJ Limited:  4.5" ZONE lift, 32x11.5x15 BFG KM2s, JKS Quicker Discos, Kevin's Off Road rock rails.
'96 XJ Sport: 31x10.5 BFGs, 3" Rusty's lift.
Listen to Clutch.
(and your gut instincts)
CENSORSHIP IS UNAMERICAN!