Author Topic: TBI Question 360/HEI  (Read 5574 times)

jeepcj7304

• View Profile
TBI Question 360/HEI
« on: September 24, 2009, 05:50:33 pm »
I just installed a GM TBI setup on my 360 it has a RV style cam and minor mods as well as an HEI Dizzy. I got it running but it seems to idle fine but when I rev up the motor it sounds like it is missing. If i put it in gear and try to drive I have no power at all i cant get above 25mph. I was having back firring issues through the TB at first running off the computer for timing. I no longer have them as I am running the Manual and vacuum advance with the bypass for the timing unplugged. My fuel pressure is between 9-10 which I think is a little low but the injectors seem to push plenty of fuel. Would this cause this issue? Or is it simply a programming issue?  Has anyone else done this or have experience that can figure this out I'm going crazy.

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
Re: TBI Question 360/HEI
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2009, 07:40:24 pm »
Would this be the kit made by Howell....?
I have it, love it and also have issues but NOT to the extreme of yours.
I called them and was given a solution but am not comfortable doing what they instructed I need to do.
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

jeepcj7304

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2009, 03:12:00 am »
mine is not howell it is straight off a chevy 350 in a junkyard.  What problems are you having and what did they tell you to do.

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2009, 10:03:17 pm »
My issue is with the idle....I get what is called "coast stall"
The Howel TBI does not have an idle set screw, but to adjust it their technical support told me this:

It's hard to explain, but you need to drill into the top of the throttle body, expose a "hidden" allen head and adjust with that.
Drilling into the thing doesn't really set well with me.
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

jeepcj7304

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2009, 12:22:21 am »
im sure once i get it running i will love it too but right now it is driving me crazy.  my carb was so  bad offroasd with flooding so this should be great once it runs right.

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2009, 10:25:12 am »
You'll be VERY impressed once you get it "tweeked"....
Carburator issues was the main reason I made the conversion and am NOT disappointed one bit by doing so.
It will stay running upside down, not that either of us are looking to experience that...Trust me, I know  :o