Author Topic: Another problem with my XJ  (Read 7517 times)

SteveTheFolkie

• To live is to fly, all alone and high
    • View Profile
    • Steves music site
Another problem with my XJ
« on: April 10, 2008, 02:56:17 pm »
Ok - oh those of great Jeep knowledge - my 98 XJ 4.0 automatic has developed an irritating noise - when I get hard on the gas (say I'm pulling away from an uphill traffic light) I'm getting a lot of vibration under the tranny tunnel - if I'm gentle on the gas - no noise - no vibes - my motor mounts are fine (did the old power brake it with the hood open test - the engine didn't move much at all) - I suspect the transmission mount on the cross member - does this sound reasonable and - short of dropping the cross member to see if the tranny mount drops out in multiple parts - is there a non-destructive way to test it?

I also noticed that it won't stay in low range 4WD - which again makes me suspect the mount is the culprit -

Thanks

Steve

CJ8Ted

• View Profile
Re: Another problem with my XJ
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2008, 10:05:18 pm »
Try a pry bar under there things should not move mutch

Ted
85' CJ8 on 33s w/ 4.56s

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2008, 10:59:22 pm »
Is your XJ lifted without any other modifications to the drive line ?
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

SteveTheFolkie

• View Profile
    • Steves music site
« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2008, 08:10:16 am »
Is your XJ lifted without any other modifications to the drive line ?
bone stock - but I suspect that when I drove over the telephone pole I might have nailed the underside of the t-case - the drive shafts checked out fine - I'm going to try my three foot adjustment bar when I get home tonight - doesn't look like the mount is at all hard to replace -

Thanks

Steve

SteveTheFolkie

• View Profile
    • Steves music site
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2008, 03:34:19 pm »
Ahh the things you discover when you take stuff apart - the mount isn't blown - but the cross member is bent - guess I'll order a newbie from the stealership then bolt it and my new tranny mount up - I eyeballed the bend and shimmed the frame/cross member on the drivers side (where it's all bent) - that fixed the noise and I can engage  4WD low - so I suppose I've at last identified the real root cause of the problem and know how to solve it -

Thanks!

Steve

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2008, 02:44:33 pm »
   My only problem is figuring out whether I want the Y-Link set-up $$ or just the Belly Pan. Check out this HD X-Member.  http://www.gotreks.com/page.asp?pageid=173

Tattoo 8)

The only way to know your limits...  is to surpass them!

Don't Shop - Adopt
   "Save Your Best Friends Life, Adopt a Rescue"
       If it's not a Dobermann, it's just a Dawg...

SteveTheFolkie

• View Profile
    • Steves music site
« Reply #6 on: April 28, 2008, 06:41:24 pm »
Thanks Jack -

Haven't had a chance to price the dealer part - but that one looks hell for stout - might just get myself one of 'em (so future 'adventures' (deliberate or accidental) don't leave such irritating memories behind!

Steve