Author Topic: mild lift on an XJ  (Read 6142 times)

SteveTheFolkie

• To live is to fly, all alone and high
    • View Profile
    • Steves music site
mild lift on an XJ
« on: April 02, 2011, 01:12:52 pm »
Just curious - I'm going to install a budget boost (2") on my XJ - should I plan on dropping the transfer case cross member to mitigate drive shaft vibrations or should I be OK without doing so?  Just asking 'cause once I get it up on jack stands I'd prefer to do everything at once - and yeah - I know - I should join up again and pay my dues!

thanks

Steve

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
Re: mild lift on an XJ
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2011, 05:10:43 pm »

I don't know what year ur XJ is, does ur T-Case have the short output shaft housing or the long one? If your's has he short one you shouldn't have any problems. The best way to know for sure is add the lift and then see if you get vibrations. I didn't have any problems till I got above 3" of lift. Then I had to Fab a SYE set-up. I've  heard of people running 4.5" and taller lifts w/o any vibs, so its hard to give ya a definitive answer.

But 2" isn't that high, so you should be good. That's about as high as you can go without touching anything else. You don't need to change shocks, it shouldn't affect ur Caster enough to cause any problems, etc.

Have fun...
The only way to know your limits...  is to surpass them!

Don't Shop - Adopt
   "Save Your Best Friends Life, Adopt a Rescue"
       If it's not a Dobermann, it's just a Dawg...

SteveTheFolkie

• View Profile
    • Steves music site
Re: mild lift on an XJ
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2011, 05:40:42 pm »
Jack -

Thanks for the info - it's a 1995 - one owner 4.0 with an automatic - not a bad little XJ - running 30's right now - ripped the living hell out of the inner fender wells (plastic liners) up front - figured a little boost would be nice -

Cheers

Steve

SteveTheFolkie

• View Profile
    • Steves music site
Re: mild lift on an XJ & snorkel quesiton
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2011, 04:52:42 pm »
Ok - my XJ is a 95 - an EARLY 95 apparently - the washer bottle is on the tucked up next to the fire wall on the RH side, there are no marker lights to relocate - I called Quadratec and their "technical help" didn't have an answer for me - would a pre-95 fit OR should I just abandon this (in my long suffering wifes eyes useless and expensive) project?  Looking at the snorkle kit I am doubting the "value" - I'm pretty handy with plastic pipe and spray paint!

Cheers

Steve