Author Topic: yj tub on a cj7 frame  (Read 10885 times)

76cj7

• View Profile
yj tub on a cj7 frame
« on: July 12, 2010, 06:53:52 pm »
hi, i am new to jeeps and  i just bought a 1976 cj7 that needs a new tub. I have found a yj tub to put on the jeep but i was wondering how hard it would be to do this swap. Can some one tell me what all has to be done? I know the gas fill is on the other side and the tailgate its different.

thanks,Connor
Connor Hofford
1976 cj7 4" rough country lift

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
Re: yj tub on a cj7 frame
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 06:18:09 am »
It's been done thousands of times. The YJ tub is a perfect replcement for your tired CJ tub.
Here's a write up that can be helpful.
http://www.jeepexpeditions.org/pdfs/tech_yj_tub_on_a_cj.pdf
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

76cj7

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2010, 05:47:51 pm »
thanks for the link.it was very helpful
Connor Hofford

mike 22-14

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2010, 10:06:55 am »
That's a real good write-up.  Here's the write-up that I used:

http://cjoffroad.com/writeup.asp?WU_ID=24&noAdd=1

The only thing this one addresses that Rick's didn't was the clutch linkage if you have a manual trans. 
In Rick's link the writer used the YJ heater box but you could re-use your CJ box and swap the motors.  Everything else fits the same.  It's not really hard, just time consuming with having to strip everything out and replace it.  Just fininshed mine last year so if you have any questions let me know and I'll be at the show if you want to look at something in person.
Mike Matthews
86 CJ7 w/ 95 XJ 4.0l, 94 YJ tub, 4" RE lift, 33" Mud Kings
"We're all entitled to moments of stupidity but some people abuse the privilege."

76cj7

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2010, 07:22:02 pm »
ok thanks alot.ill be going to the show saterday. I found a yj tub for $500 but i just wanted to figure out what i was getting into before spending all the money.
Connor Hofford