Author Topic: Looking For Upgraded Axle  (Read 30277 times)

etaucher

• View Profile
Looking For Upgraded Axle
« on: October 13, 2008, 09:30:09 pm »
Im looking to upgrade the D-35 on my Cherokee to a better one. I have 31's on my Cherokee, and I have always had a little bump in the back (more like the back is dogging out the faster I go down the road) and Im getting tired of it. I was told by a few friends that the D-35 is NO good for Jeeps with 31's or bigger. Due to the weight. So Im looking to upgrade the back Axle, but would I need to replace the front one also? Im not sure what my front axle is.

But I was wondering what to replace my axles with. Seeing as how this is still my first Jeep, and Im still learning.
......Keep on Trucking......
-----------------------------------------
1993 Jeep Wrangler, 4.0L, Auto, 2" Shackle Lift, 31x10.50R15
Edward Taucher

CJ8Ted

• View Profile
Re: Looking For Upgraded Axle
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2008, 09:47:06 pm »
I have seen a 35 take a good bit of abuse. With that being said I would recommend a 8 1/4 from another XJ. If you get the same gear ratio as your front you don't have to do anything to the front (Dana 30)

Ted
85' CJ8 on 33s w/ 4.56s

etaucher

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2008, 10:03:10 pm »
Im still new at the Jeep thing, what Axle is the 8 1/4? And what gears do the the D-35's have?
Edward Taucher

MudSlinger

« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2008, 10:15:50 pm »
8 1/4 is for hauling in a stock xj so look for one with a hitch ur best bet and as for gears they range far out

etaucher

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2008, 10:33:19 pm »
My Jeep has a hitch on it, but It was an after market one, should I look for one with a STOCK hitch? And I understand gears vary, but how would I no which gears are best for my Jeep? And how can I tell which gears my D-35 has?

*EDIT*

Found out how to check my gears, http://www.pajeeps.org/forum/index.php?topic=1445.new#new now, how would I no which are best for mine? I use it as a DD, and some times as an off roader.
Edward Taucher

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 13, 2008, 11:10:03 pm »
Up to 4:10 gears makes for quality daily driving.
The Dana 35 can take abuse, but all I've ever seen them do is "implode" on the trail. They are weak and IMO "JUNK".
Move forward and swap that thing out, you'll be and feel so much better.
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

etaucher

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2008, 11:39:21 pm »
Thats what Im looking to do, but I want to no what to swap it with. What would be the cheapest and easiest swap for me to do. I do not have access to a welder or torch. Only grinders and air tools.

People on another Jeep Forum I belong to, are telling me to go with the late model D-44 or the 97+ 8.25 seeing as how they are bolt ins.
Edward Taucher

MudSlinger

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2008, 12:48:08 pm »
im running a 8 1/4 with 3.73s in it with 33s on it. it runs fine with them and on the trails too.

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2008, 01:50:41 pm »
   My suggestion is for you to get the book this guy wrote  http://www.ericsxj.com/ Eric's website is also really good, with lots of ideas :). You can also get his book on eBay for around $25 or so. I think it's worth $75+ You NEED to get up to speed with A LOT (concerning XJ's) before you start spending $. This book is a really good place to start. It opened up a whole new world for me and gave me TONS of information so I could start making (well informed) decisions on what I wanted and more important, NEEDED, for my XJ. This book will help ya find out what axles you have, their strength's and weaknesses and whether you really need to replace them or just up-grade the shafts.
   Take a deep breath, "bone-up' (Read-up) and try to get a better understanding of the XJ and then go from there. Later on you'll be glad you did.  Hope this helps...

Tattoo 8)

The only way to know your limits...  is to surpass them!

Don't Shop - Adopt
   "Save Your Best Friends Life, Adopt a Rescue"
       If it's not a Dobermann, it's just a Dawg...

etaucher

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2008, 03:43:22 pm »
Regardless, I'm still upgrading my back axle, its JUNK, it dogs out BAD down the road. I can feel it coming from the back. So right now Im just looking for a good replacement till I do more to my Jeep. And it seems the D-44 is the easiest way to go.
Edward Taucher

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2008, 03:46:49 pm »
good luck on a d44 from a bone yard been looking  swapped my d35 to an 8.25 got thwe same ratio the only diff is the axle tube is bigger so you need new u bolts  no welding involved rolled one out rolled one in best to get one out of a 96 or later its a stronger version
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

CJ8Ted

• View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2008, 04:57:19 pm »
it dogs out BAD down the road. I can feel it coming from the back.

What do you mean, whats it doing?

Ted
85' CJ8 on 33s w/ 4.56s

etaucher

• View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2008, 05:13:06 pm »
As Im driving down the road, it bucks from the back. If I go into fourth gear, all it does is buck real bad. So I keep it in 3rd most of the time. my one friend that just upgraded the axle in his Jeep, looked at mine, and told me the reason its doing it, is because my 31's are to heavy for the D-35 and its making the axle weaken.

Also I Just came back from the Junk Yard and I found a Chrysler 8.25 out of a 1999 Jeep Cherokee, Classic? Cant remember, but I do know the Jeep is an auto. The price is $250. I also found a D-44 out of an 80's Cherokee, they want $250 for it also (there asking 250 for all axles, they don't know the difference)

My question is, is $250 to much to spend on a 8.25 or a D-44?
Edward Taucher

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2008, 07:12:35 pm »
for an 8.25 way too much d44 on the other hand is a good check elsewere on the forum and youll find a guy withh a pr of 44 for 400 id get the d44 either way   good to have around in case.... bigger tires?
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

CJ8Ted

• View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 14, 2008, 07:45:34 pm »
31"s too heavy for a D35 ???
Bucking in 4th gear but not in 3rd  ::)
Bucking sounds like the rear brakes may be hanging up, will it drift/coast down a hill in neutral?

If you get an 8.25 either get the same ratio as your front or plan on changing your front gear set.

That 80' D-44 is a full size. Too wide, different lug pattern, different spring location, = not bolt in.

Ted
85' CJ8 on 33s w/ 4.56s