Author Topic: Three questions for the gang...  (Read 6656 times)

Chief BK

Three questions for the gang...
« on: August 12, 2008, 07:43:08 pm »
Keep in mind, I'm completely new to this and my questions for some time will be a combination of my desire to be educated and others out of total ignorance...lol

1) What kind of plugs and wires are you guys running and why?

2) Let's talk oil...I've been told no synthetic.  Is this true?

3) I've been everywhere on the net and can't come to a solid conclusion on type of air filters AND / OR if I should put a FIPK in.  The argument over filters has been fought long and hard from what I can see.  The goal is to gain some additional HP.  I know there are other things which will help, but I think I should start at the front and work my way back to the Flowmaster Super 44 that I hope to have on in the coming months.  Am I thinking backwards?

Once again guys and girls.  Thanks for any info.  I like it here at pajeeps.  I've sent some PM's and everyone has made me feel extremely welcome here as a newbie.

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
Re: Three questions for the gang...
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2008, 09:54:50 pm »
Asking is the first step to learning, no need to be shy here. You’ll probably get a wide array of answers to these questions since everyone has their preferences. Just keep that in mind. You’ll most likely have to formulate your own opinion based on the information you receive and what your personal budget can afford.

Here’s what I run in my 79’ CJ….. (Not all motors respond alike)

Spark Plugs & Wires: Splitfire http://www.sparkplugs.com/splitfire/
Understand they are the original high performance plug. I run a converted fuel injected AMC 360.
The duel mag wire sets have two premium magnetic suppression core conductors, with only 250 ohms of resistance per foot. The triple platinum plugs are exceptional for fuel injected engines as well as for turbo and nitrous. No, I have NO plans to run a nitrous system.

Synthetic Motor Oil: Valvoline SYNPower http://www.valvoline.com/synpower/index.asp
I don’t care what anyone else tells you about conventional versus synthetic, but synthetic is the way to go…PERIOD…!!! There are two things that KILL an engine. One is dirt, and the other is HEAT. Synthetic motor oil solves both problems far better than any conventional motor oil EVER will.

Valvoline SYNPower has as most synthetic oils do, special chemistry with more durable anti-wear additives that stay in the oil longer. What you get is this; ultimate protection against the three major causes of engine wear. HEAT, DEPOSITS, and WEAR. With a balanced combination of full synthetic base oil and premium additives, SynPower helps prevent engine stress from reducing engine efficiency, fuel economy and performance. SynPower is for anyone who wants to protect their engine and keep it running properly.

My older CJ and Dodge Cummins where converted gradually to synthetic oil as to NOT create any instant leaks that have been known to happen when switching. I gradually worked my way to full synthetic oil over four changes and am glad I did. Synthetic will require less changes versus conventional too.

Air Filter: K&N http://www.knfilters.com
Simply put, a K&N will be the LAST filter you EVER buy. Simply clean and lubricate it periodically and it will outlast the vehicle. They are designed to increase horsepower and acceleration while providing excellent filtration.

Good Luck…
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

Chief BK

« Reply #2 on: August 13, 2008, 08:25:20 am »
I've always been partial to Bosch in other vehicles.  Trying Splitfire's crossed my mind a few years back on another vehicle, but ended up in an accident and it didn't matter.  Has anyone out there tried the Pulstars?  Increased pony power and fuel efficiency?  Sounds like a good deal to me, but they are a bit salty in price.

etaucher

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2008, 12:41:44 pm »
Iv always ran NGK Spark Plugs.

http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/
......Keep on Trucking......
-----------------------------------------
1993 Jeep Wrangler, 4.0L, Auto, 2" Shackle Lift, 31x10.50R15
-----------------------------------------
Edward Taucher

Chief BK

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2008, 09:37:51 pm »
Thanks 89, I'll be sure to check those out!

RUMMY

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2008, 12:07:51 am »
As for oil you can't beat Amsoil synthetic I have gained about 1 or 2 miles to the gallon after changing it  and there filter .It is made by wix but it is not a regular wix filter it is extra heavy duty .they claim you can go 25 k with no problems .I am changing filter out at 10 k and adding a quart.I just checked my oil and it looks like new and I am at 9700 miles .It's not even dark yet. SO it made me a believer .

SteveTheFolkie

• To live is to fly, all alone and high
    • View Profile
    • Steves music site
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2008, 07:41:32 pm »
30 plus years of driving various vehicles - I'm convinced of the following:

Spark plugs - if they're working - are all equal - excepting price.  Think about it - you send electricity through the core and it jumps a gap - creates a spark that lights off your compressed air/fuel mixture - for my buck I tend to buy Champions or base-level Bosch but have never been a fan of the $$ platinum plugs -

Wires - I tend to run high-end wires that have the least resistance possible.

Cap and Rotor - OEM - I dislike cheap knockoffs

Oil - dead dino's for me - but I change my oil and filter every 3K - some people like syn's - more power to 'em -

Please note - I'm old - my first vehicles didn't have power brakes or power steering - in fact the first three had drum brakes on all four corners - my opinions are well founded (probably) but entrenched enough that they're not likely to change - the main thing is to have a regular schedule for your vehicle(s) - so you change the fluids and other estoterica at appropriate intervals -

One thing you never want to neglect - your brakes  - change the hydraulic fluid every two years or so - you (and the person in front of you) will be happier for it.  Also check your hard lines for rust - I almost collected a Honda FIT in my XJ this spring when a hard line went - real pucker moment -

Cheers

Steve