Author Topic: floor jack - TJ  (Read 5402 times)

jeb4x4

floor jack - TJ
« on: April 16, 2008, 10:21:06 am »
The owners manual is useless, and I don't have a service manual yet: Can I use a floor jack under the rear diff to raise the entire rear end at once? Can I raise the entire front end with one point?
Thanks for the help.

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
Re: floor jack - TJ
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2008, 01:40:43 pm »

I have on my '96 XJ and '02 WJ and the previously owned '94 ZJ, '93 Ford Explorer, '85 S-10 Blazer, '78 K-5 Blazer, '74 (I think) International Scout, '62 Belair, '59 Olds etc., etc....

But I figure if you've got to ask :-\, then you should have some "experienced" help around when you work on it. Placement is important (making sure the Jack doesn't slip off "Jacking Point") along with Jack Stands (appropriate for the weight of vehicle) and, of course, common sense. If you're working under the vehicle while the one or more tires are off, Jack up one side at a time and use Jack Stands BEFORE crawling under!

NEVER WORK UNDER A VEHICLE WITH JUST A JACK HOLDING IT UP!!!!!!!

Front Jacking Point; "I" place the Jack under the LCA Skid plate (or near by) and Jack up one side at a time and use a Jack Stand. For adjusting the Toe-In, I've placed a Jack under the outside "edge" of the center housing, where the Axle Tube inserts into it, but only lifted it enough to take the pressure off the tires so I could make my adjustments.

Be carefull.

Tattoo 8)

« Last Edit: April 17, 2008, 01:09:16 pm by (Tattoo) Jack »
The only way to know your limits...  is to surpass them!

Don't Shop - Adopt
   "Save Your Best Friends Life, Adopt a Rescue"
       If it's not a Dobermann, it's just a Dawg...

jeb4x4

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2008, 03:44:41 pm »
Thanks Jack. Regarding rear - I've never had an issue with my trucks but I seem to remember a car years ago that didn't recommend it. Was really looking for single front point, so just figured I'd ask...
Thanks again.

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2008, 02:08:35 am »
I always floor jack the front and or rear under the pumpkin. But, I also place an extra spare tire directly under the frame rail in the event it would give way.
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...