Author Topic: want to put lift on 08 rubicon  (Read 8827 times)

bubba1

• View Profile
want to put lift on 08 rubicon
« on: November 21, 2008, 08:55:33 am »
Hi evberyone,

I have a new 08 rubicon and looking to put a 3 or 3.25 lift kit on with 35 inch tires does anyone have any suggestions on what lift kit to buy and tires. I also looking for a good offroad shop to do the work with the lift and tires or is there someone out there who could do it for a reasonable
price and looking to put skid plates on as well. I'm new to this and want to learn as much as I can about 4wheeling and working on my jeep so you will be hearing a lot from me every suggestion will be greatly appreciated.
Steve Krout

CJ8Ted

• View Profile
Re: want to put lift on 08 rubicon
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 04:48:08 pm »
Welcome,
I'm all for skid plates and rocker protection, most all of these items are the same if the rig is stock or lifted so you wont waste your $ if / when you get a lift. Your Jeep is built very well (IMO) and I think you should take it on a trail ride to see just what it will do. A Jeep built as yours is can do Greens, Blues, and low Blacks which is 70% of the trails. I have no idea about you, but most people in an "08" don't want to do anything more than that. Driver skill will get you further than another set of tires will. Trail ride it and you will find out what you want/need first.

A group like PAJeeps on a club ride would be a good start. A first aid kit, fire ext, tug strap (no hooks), CB, hand tools, tire gauge, are recemended, but first timers arent expected to have all that stuff.

Ted   
85' CJ8 on 33s w/ 4.56s

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 08:40:28 pm »
im with ted bring it out and see what you can safely do first before going full bore with add ons.
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

canman35

• bob bracken
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 11:07:59 pm »
Well I can testify that my 08 did not do well at slick trails with the stock tires on it the first time out at RC. Ted is right though build it up to where you feel comfortable in driving it after you wheeled it a time or two. I went with 35's and upgraded my gears to 4;88 to handle the extra strain on the running gear.The JK comes with pretty good skid plates from the factory but I added on diff. covers and a oil/tranny skid plate.Mt Zion Off  road did my lift kit and gear swap at there shop in Dover.If you have any more ? feel free to PM me .

BOB
2008 jk  35" bfg's, 4'lift, disco's,  diff covers, 4:88's, limited slip front and rear, cold air intake, "cherry bomb" catback exhuast, Hypertec max programmer, bushwaker flares, stainless steel bumpers and nerf bars,coverking seat covers, cb
2007 liberty daughters daily driver.

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2008, 12:28:52 am »
You've already just read some really good sound advise. As a first timer, take that advise seriously. An 08' "Rubi" will do alot in it's factory state.
Take it out as is. Drive it, listen, and learn how to properly drive it before you spend you hard earned cash.

YOU WILL NOT REGRET IT, You will appreciate it I guarantee.
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

bubba1

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2008, 06:05:13 am »
HI,

something about myself I have no experience at all 4 wheeling so I want to learn all that I can about the hobbie I do agree about doing the green's and blues at rc. I have been doing some research and from what other drivers have been saying go out with a group and learn the ins and outs so that is what I will do.

I would like to no when your next trip will be to rc and can I join the club if you are still taking applications for new members what kind of tools do you recommend?

thanks for all the info so far.

Steve
Steve Krout

CJ8Ted

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2008, 07:49:49 am »
You will learn a lot your first time out, you would be placed in the middle so you can learn what line to take and the person behind you can keep an eye on you and walk up to give a spot (if needed). It is said "you dont have to do anything your not comfortable with" its all about having fun.

Keep an eye on the "Events" part of the site for a date that fits. Your welcome to ride along without being a member but we ask you only do it one time, that will give you a chance to see if you like the club and the type of riding we do.

A first aid kit, fire ext, tug strap (no hooks), CB, hand tools, tire gauge, are recemended, but first timers arent expected to have all that stuff.
Basic hand tools are  pliers, vise grips, duct tape, zip ties, hammer, adjustable wrench, set of scokets ect.
*Lug net key* if you have them on your wheels make sure you have the key, tire changes on the trail are not uncommon. 

Ted
85' CJ8 on 33s w/ 4.56s

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2008, 09:46:48 am »
Steve,

We accept membership ANYTIME of the year. You can download and print a membership form from this websites home page.
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

chasm

• Blonde / Bomber...
    • View Profile
    • JeepChasm
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2008, 11:51:17 am »
Bubba1:

I agree with what Ted and the others have said. I have an 08 Rubicon 2 door and I have kept it stock. I wheeled it 3 weeks after I bought it and was quite impressed with what it could do "out of the box" so to speak. Several of the PA Jeeps members were along on that 1st ride in January, and they will attest to what a stock Rubi can do. I have other Jeeps that I drive and wheel to compare to. My 08 is my Daily Driver, so I will wait a couple years before I go and dump a bunch of bucks into mods. Besides, I am too wrapped up in wheeling the old YJ right now! ;D

Feel free to PM or e-mail me and I will be glad to share my experiences with you! Like Ted said, knowing HOW to drive your rig is far more valuable than any mods that $$$ can buy! ;)

Mike
Mike Hardesty aka: "chasm"
'51 CJ3A: Restored Garage Queen
'83 CJ8 Scrambler: To Do List...
'93 YJ: 2.5" R.E. lift, 31" Swamper SSR's, Olympic Rock bumper, smashed Stainless exhaust, U-bolt skids, Warn M-8000 winch.
'08 Liberty: (wife's DD)