Author Topic: question on install pricing  (Read 9182 times)

johnnyff11

question on install pricing
« on: October 24, 2008, 10:10:44 am »
ok here we go. how much would you pay to have a set of gears for a dana 30 & 35, an upgraded superior rear axle and a ECTD locker in the rear installed by a shop or garage. Just want to find out before I go and tell you how much I was quoted by a local 4WD shop near by. My plan was to get home, drop the Jeep off, go on vacation for 5 days ( lord knows I need it, lol) and pick it up afterwards.

Just looking on what you would think those things would cost. looks like John will be getting some garage time in on his R&R and holiday season LOL...

So let me know what a few think and I will tell you the quote I got today.
John

CJ8Ted

• View Profile
Re: question on install pricing
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 04:22:05 pm »
I'm thinking a shop would charge about 1100 to 1400 for the install plus parts, and the parts you plan on putting in are another 1100 to 1400. So 2200 to 2800 is my guess.
Dont skimp on seals, bearings, the ones that have nothing to do with the gear install but I speak of the ones that have to do with pulling the shafts ect. They add to the parts cost but not to much to the labor cost.

Ted
85' CJ8 on 33s w/ 4.56s

johnnyff11

« Reply #2 on: October 26, 2008, 05:11:59 am »
well I have all the parts and new seals, bearings and all that is required to do the job right. I was quoted a price of 1800-2500 to do the job in just installing. kinda felt out of the ball park since I have all the parts required for the job. I think I know a nice side job of installing 4WD parts LOL...... makes you feel real good out there when the install price will cost about 75% of your total price of the parts you get..lol...

I just thought that was funny and thought I would share that one with everyone.

John

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 26, 2008, 07:24:47 pm »
TIME is MONEY.....
Turning wrenches on your own/friends rig is one thing.
Turning those same wrenches on a strangers rig = $$$
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 26, 2008, 07:41:45 pm »
best bet, get some beer some friends and a work area  lots cheaper and more fun   give me a holler ill be there    always have a wrench in hand anyway.
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

johnnyff11

« Reply #5 on: October 27, 2008, 09:47:09 am »
its all good and I myself understand time is money, but I about SH*T my pants when I was quoted that price LOL. Its all good and I am glad I have a few friends that are mechanics so im sure I will be fine. if not its all good I will spend my R&R under the Jeep.

CJ8Ted

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2008, 11:00:41 pm »
I heard of a local shop that does not like to do gear work and sets his price high to turn away most request. If someone still insist he do the work he makes a lot of money doing what he hates to do. This may be the case with your quote.

Ted
85' CJ8 on 33s w/ 4.56s

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2008, 11:38:48 pm »
It is time consuming from what I've heard. I'd like to learn myself.
Like anything else, practice makes perfect.
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

Rusty XJ

• Rickie Wilson Jr.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
« Reply #8 on: October 29, 2008, 07:27:19 pm »
Yeah, time consuming it is. I helped my buddy's dad set my dana 44 up and that took us all day to just get it semi set up. Every time you need to adjust something it all has to come apart. I was being cussed out all day long for not just getting a Ford 9.0, apparently they can be set up within an hour or so. I believe national 4x4 wanted around $1,200 to do both, I had them out of the Jeep too. That's about what the going rate is from calling around, but too expensive for my blood.
Rick Wilson Jr.
Is that DEATH WOBBLE or did we just enter Pennsylvania?
'95 XJ 2 Door, 4.0, 5spd, 7" random lift, 35x12.5 BFG ATs, 4.56 gears, Dana 44 Mini-spooled, Dana 30 w/ Detroit Truetrac and manual hubs, Bushwacker Flares, Warrior Front Bumper, JCR Rear Bumper, etc etc...

johnnyff11

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2008, 10:44:54 am »
so with that said does anyone know of a garage that will do installs of lockers and axles that is in the area?

canman35

• bob bracken
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2008, 05:18:57 pm »
I would reccomend going to Mt. Zion Off Road center in Dover, they are located on rt.74. I had them install gears and limited slip in my 2008 JK and I am happy with there attention to detail and pricing.Get onto there web site and all the info you should need is right there good luck :)
2008 jk  35" bfg's, 4'lift, disco's,  diff covers, 4:88's, limited slip front and rear, cold air intake, "cherry bomb" catback exhuast, Hypertec max programmer, bushwaker flares, stainless steel bumpers and nerf bars,coverking seat covers, cb
2007 liberty daughters daily driver.

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2008, 11:15:56 pm »
Mount Zion Off-Road
Attn: Mike or Jim Cashman
4785 Carlise Rd.
Dover, PA. 17315
717-308-1844

Hoak's 4x4
Attn: Eric or Mike
815 Hellam St.
Wrightsville, PA. 17368
717-252-3602

Both know what they are doing. Call em' and see what follows....