Author Topic: SYE.....Pre-work  (Read 9515 times)

j.haffly

• View Profile
SYE.....Pre-work
« on: April 10, 2010, 11:54:26 am »
Ok....Getting ready to put on the SYE and new Tom Woods driveshaft....but I have to get the TJ to where we are working on it....

Since I know I cant be driving it in front wheel drive as the lubricant will just come out the shaft end, my question is this....the shaft that is there right now will be replaced, correct?  And if it is to be replaced, I should be able to put something in the hole to plug it up and not worry about having to get it out later, correct?

I dont want to have to go through the hassle of getting it towed to where we are going to be working on it....

Thanks,
Jim
Jim "I'm Jonesing for some off-roading" Haffly

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
Re: SYE.....Pre-work
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2010, 01:25:40 pm »

I am not real sure what ur asking, but I will try and answer some of ur ?'s as I understand them. '96 and newer Jeeps with the NP 231 have a short Tail Shaft housing/seal so you can take off the rear DS and Slip Yoke and NOT loose any fluid. BUT you should NOT drive too far or ESPECIALLY too fast in 4 Wheel H (AKA front wheel drive) cause the X Case will heat up A LOT! (At least mine did) The Slip Yoke just slides over the splined Tail Shaft and the rubber sleeve is just there to keep mud and dirt off the splines.

I assume you would've researched this before you planned on doing the switch so I probably have misunderstood your questions and didn't provide the answers you were looking for. 

You did mentioned "plugging" the rear output Shaft hole ???  You can't drive without a Rear Output Shaft in because the chain that drives the Front Output Shaft is connected to both Shafts. If your planning on installing the new, shorter, Output Shaft/Housing now and the DS later, you can, but the the caution above (about FWD) still applies.

Hope I didn't screw this post up.

Best, Jack

The only way to know your limits...  is to surpass them!

Don't Shop - Adopt
   "Save Your Best Friends Life, Adopt a Rescue"
       If it's not a Dobermann, it's just a Dawg...

j.haffly

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2010, 05:34:39 pm »
Oh...ok....just so I make sure I understand what you are saying....without the rear DS, I should be ok....I'm only going about 5miles or so and wont get above 30 or 35 mph with a ton of stops and starts as I'll be in town....

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2010, 06:38:19 pm »
   Yes, that short of a distance is fine. Just unbolt the DS from the Pinion first (8mm, at least mine was), then loosen the "band" from the Transfer Case end of the rubber boot (use a flat head screw driver) and then just pull the DS, and the Slip Yoke, off the Tail Shaft. Everything comes off in one piece.

The link below is how I did my '96 XJ. But unlike the guy who wrote the article, I didn't have to buy the rear Seal. I just measured, cut and tapped the Tail Shaft, cut the CV Yoke (which I got in Hbg for $50), etc...
    Got a front DS from eBay for about $35, installed new U-Joints and had Quigley's re-balance it. Works great.

go.jeep-xj.info/HowtoSYEconversion.htm

Good Luck and have fun... ::)

Tattoo 8)

Don't Shop - Adopt

j.haffly

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2010, 11:09:51 pm »
Thanks for the advise....funny story, the rear DS is gone....I lost it on 495 at highway speeds, u-joint exploded.....hence finally doing the right thing and going with the SYE and longer DS

j.haffly

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2010, 04:31:21 pm »
but yes....the shaft is still there, the one that the slip yoke goes on....I was under the impression it had a hole in the end that allowed some type of lubrication....I see that I am wrong in this thought....

Thanks for the help!!!!

j.haffly

• View Profile
Re: SYE.....Pre-work..IT'S DONE!!!!!
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2010, 08:53:17 am »
The SYE and new Tom Woods driveshaft and installed!!!!

Turns out, I could have been driving the dang thing short distances all this time....the slip yoke on my particular 97 WAS SEALED!!!  Anyways, started at 11am, one break and one trip to the parts store, we were done at 6pm....no real issues at all....hardest part was the snap rings but I had purchased a set of heavy duty snap ring pliars with replacable tips....it went fairly smoooth....

I am looking forward to seeing some of you on the trail soon!!!  The May trip isnt looking all that good for me, lots of work travel in May....but you never know....June is wide open for me....so I'm  hoping!!!!

Jim

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
Re: SYE.....Pre-work..IT'S DONE!!!!!
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2010, 06:19:56 pm »
....the slip yoke on my particular 97 WAS SEALED!!! 

Hmmmm... isn't that what I said  ???

Tattoo :-\

Don't Shop - Adopt

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2010, 02:05:29 am »
Jack, understand that Jim is a bit slow.
However...this project is a milestone for him since he takled it with his own labor (and help) and has learned.

WTG Jim, I always told you it's not that difficult if you're just willing to get your hands dirty and don't mind laying on blacktop or concrete.
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

j.haffly

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2010, 04:41:33 pm »
Jack, understand that Jim is a bit slow.
However...this project is a milestone for him since he takled it with his own labor (and help) and has learned.

WTG Jim, I always told you it's not that difficult if you're just willing to get your hands dirty and don't mind laying on blacktop or concrete.

LOL...yea, us college edumacated guys sometimes dont get it!!!  Running pretty good, still getting that great mpg!!!!  Not sure what to save up for next....I'm leaning towards 4.88 gears but need to swap the rear for a D44 I'm thinking if/when I do that....also thinking an Aussie locker for the front....it's the cheaper of the two and I havent really heard anything negative about those things....