Author Topic: ball joints  (Read 7215 times)

SteveTheFolkie

• To live is to fly, all alone and high
    • View Profile
    • Steves music site
ball joints
« on: February 26, 2012, 06:38:15 pm »
How much of a pain is it to install new ball joints in an XJ front end?  Mine are knackered - if special tools are required I'll take it to my pro-wrench - but if it's not a big deal I'll tackle it in the garage next weekend -

cheers

Steve

Joe

• View Profile
Re: ball joints
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2012, 07:52:37 pm »
How much of a pain is it to install new ball joints in an XJ front end? Mine are knackered - if special tools are required I'll take it to my pro-wrench - but if it's not a big deal I'll tackle it in the garage next weekend -

cheers

Steve

Wish you would have ask this a week ago!  Wifey's XJ goes to the garage in the morning, probably should have tried it myself
Joe Barnhart

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2012, 04:59:02 pm »
a real pia. first remove front wheel then the caliper and rotor, then the 3 13 mm 12 point bolts on the hub, beat like heck to get the hub off, remove axle shaft with it. remove the ball joint nuts and then the spindle, then you need a ball joint press to press then out and back in. took me about 6 hrs the first time with the special tools. the ball joint press and 13 mm 12 point socket, and a whole can of spray. and of course a bfh. of course a torch would help to heat them and they pop out easier.
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

SteveTheFolkie

• To live is to fly, all alone and high
    • View Profile
    • Steves music site
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2012, 07:04:24 pm »
Hmmmm ... having heeded Hillbilly's advice in the past I suspect that I'll turn this task over to a pro - I'm hell on wheels for doing "stuff" that takes less than 4 hours - but for the protracted activities .... well ... there's a reason people turn pro~!

cheers

Steve

Joe

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2012, 11:37:03 pm »
Hmmmm ... having heeded Hillbilly's advice in the past I suspect that I'll turn this task over to a pro - I'm hell on wheels for doing "stuff" that takes less than 4 hours - but for the protracted activities .... well ... there's a reason people turn pro~!

cheers

My garage charged me $160.  Send me a PM if you want the number

Steve
Joe Barnhart