Author Topic: May Club Ride  (Read 17566 times)

peter84

• View Profile
Re: May Club Ride
« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2012, 08:13:41 pm »
Had a nice day and covered a lot of ground, drove 12 miles. 3 Jeeps; Ted and family in their CJ8, Mike and Jan in their JK Unlimited and myself, Peter and daughter Rebecca in our TJ.
We started off on B to get to E, then headed to the Fire Pit. There Ted regaled us with the story of how the Fire Pit got it's name. Mike got to watch Ted and I play in the Fire Pit, plus he got to ride with us through the pit. From there we headed to Lake Christy where we decided that since we could not gauge the depth of the water we were not going to even shirt around the lake's edge. So a little back tracking was undertaken before heading for the quarry taking the long way around via S to the southern most tip of the park. More play time for Ted and Peter, Mike got another ride. We then headed north-east looping round S1 and S3 before getting back on E. 101 took us to the hills and then to Power Line, where we stopped in the shade for lunch. Our after lunch tutorial was Ted explaining the benefits of a high-lift jack.
We followed Power Line all the way to the end before taking 11 north. At this point I failed to heed the directions of my navigator Rebecca and got us into uncharted territory somewhere between 19B and 16. If you look at the RC map there is no trail there, but there is a large patch of axle deep mud that can stop a CJ8! The good news was that we got to see a high lift jack in action, thus adding tremendously to the learning of the lunch time tutorial. After turning around we got on to 19C and headed up to 11. From there we headed east to 14. Many of the low points on trail 14 contained water but not much mud. We had almost finished 14 when the call came over the CB that the CJ8 needed some help. Another tutorial ensued. We learnt that trying to keep one's spouse on the high side of the gully can mean the driver gets a close up view of the low side of the gully. A gentle pull to the rear corner of the CJ8 brought it back on an even keel. Everyone was safe and there was no damage so we decided to head back to the staging area. This was when we saw several mini convoys of other vehicles enjoying the park.
Thanks to Ted and family and Mike and Jan for an enjoyable day, everyone left smiling.
Peter Caddick
2006 TJ - 4" Zone Offroad Products lift, 33x10.50x15 BFG A/T, 6" Bushwaker flares, Bestop Tyre Carrier, Skid Row engine and fuel tank skid plates, A to Z Rocker Guards, SYE, BDS belly up pan
2012 Patriot 4x4 Sport
2015 Grand Cherokee Limited 4x4 V6
2015 Cherokee Latitude 4x4 V6

Death Wobble

• Angie Zinn - Wall St. Warrior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2012, 08:54:14 pm »
Great!  I'm glad to hear that you all had a good time and the new guy made it through unscathed!
'88 XJ Limited:  4.5" ZONE lift, 32x11.5x15 BFG KM2s, JKS Quicker Discos, Kevin's Off Road rock rails.
'96 XJ Sport: 31x10.5 BFGs, 3" Rusty's lift.
Listen to Clutch.
(and your gut instincts)
CENSORSHIP IS UNAMERICAN!

CJ8Ted

• View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 13, 2012, 08:08:30 am »
Great write-up Peter.
Thank you, Peter and Rebecca for guiding, it was a good day. You guys did a great job showing Mike and Jan what there Jeep can do.  Mike , I think your hooked. You did a good job driving. A bit of armor will help protect things in the future, and ease the sound of those bumps. I'm from the "Build slow and get the most out of each mod" group. And as you saw you can do a lot of wheelen on that setup.

Ted

I was driving over the middle, when she started to go in on the driver side. Loss of traction and loss of power happened at about the same time. With "not so thrilled" passengers (ie. Wife) we all got out to take a look see. With a tug strap hooked to the rear passenger corner, Peter and his Jeep helped me and the starter motor of my CJ get all four back to earth. After unhooking the strap I drove up the gutter like I had planned in the first place.   
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 09:15:40 am by CJ8Ted »
85' CJ8 on 33s w/ 4.56s

Jeepnharleymomma

• Show Chairman
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 13, 2012, 11:34:14 am »
Thanks Peter for guiding yesterday!  Glad you all had a good time.

Ted sorry I missed wheeling with you.....bet the boys had a blast.

Mike what did you think of your trip?
"Trail Boss" Jenn Watson
89 V8 Yj, some lift, some tires and some extras!
96 Cherokee Sport (Daves beater)
1947 CJ2-A

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly,Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that made you smile

Fatkid

• Mike Binkley
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2012, 12:31:19 pm »
Well......been talking about it since we got home Saturday and telling everyone I know about our adventure. Got a little muddier than I expected especially since I had the windows open as we wandered off course through the mud pit. We had mud on the roof inside and out. Had a great time.... Peter and Ted and family were great. This was my first time and it was nothing like I imagined it to be. What I learned ................that my next investment will be a few more skid plates .............my jeep can do things that I never thought were possible..............I went through the same mud hole twice that Ted got stuck in ........and.........always listen to your guide. Hope to see you guys in the future. I will be back to R.C.    ;D
Red Rock Crystal
2007 Sahara Unlimited,  hard top , 6 speed manual trans.,
JKS Discos, AEV Tire carrier, CAI by Rugged Ridge, Evap. Skid plate, Prerunner light bar, KC off road lights, Rubicon Express 2" lift and steering stabilizer, BFG All Terrain T/A-KO Tires, CB Radio.

Jeepnharleymomma

• Show Chairman
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2012, 02:09:21 pm »
Glad to here that Mike!
Peter and Ted are great guides and teachers.
"Trail Boss" Jenn Watson
1947 CJ2-A

Life is short, Break the rules, Forgive quickly,Kiss slowly, Love truly, Laugh uncontrollably and never regret anything that made you smile

CJ8Ted

• View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2012, 09:20:54 am »
Ted sorry I missed wheeling with you.....bet the boys had a blast.

They did have a blast. They were a little scared when we tipped in the gutter because "Mama Bear" was scared (and showing it). She had every right, as the smell of gas was abound before everyone was out the passenger side door. ::)

Peter and Ted are great guides and teachers.

Thanks, Mike got a good Hi-Lift demo when I got stuck in ruts. And I guess he got a Strap demo when I got stuck in the gutter.... Why do I see a pattern forming here? :D
85' CJ8 on 33s w/ 4.56s

Fatkid

• Mike Binkley
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2012, 12:14:16 pm »
Wow....never thought about a fire....or a fuel issue. Till thinking about the ride...spent the night looking through Quadratec at jeep armor. mmmmm........... ::)
Red Rock Crystal
2007 Sahara Unlimited,  hard top , 6 speed manual trans.,
JKS Discos, AEV Tire carrier, CAI by Rugged Ridge, Evap. Skid plate, Prerunner light bar, KC off road lights, Rubicon Express 2" lift and steering stabilizer, BFG All Terrain T/A-KO Tires, CB Radio.

Jeepnharleymomma

• Show Chairman
  • Administrator
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2012, 06:10:07 pm »
Just
Empty
Every
Pocket

Mike skid plates are a good first choice when purchasing something for Jeep.
"Trail Boss" Jenn Watson
1947 CJ2-A