Author Topic: Wide Track Frame?  (Read 5730 times)

joe21228

• View Profile
Wide Track Frame?
« on: August 10, 2009, 02:12:43 pm »
I am doing a frame off restoration. Just going to buy a new frame. Trust me, it works better for me. Looking at different magazines, the want to know if it is "Wide Track"

How do I know? It is an 86 CJ7.

This is what I know:
Chevy 350 - Motor
T-176 - Trans
Not sure what axles. How would I know this?

Any help is appreciated.

CJ8Ted

• View Profile
Re: Wide Track Frame?
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2009, 05:49:55 pm »
Its a widetrack,  they were widetrack from 82 to 86 on the 7s and 8s pre 82 and 5s were narrow.

Ted

85' CJ8 on 33s w/ 4.56s

CJ8Ted

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2009, 06:05:11 pm »
As for the axles it could have a 30 in the front and 44 in the rear (some had 44s in 86) may also have an AMC 20 rear, it is round like a basketball w/ 12  bolts holding the cover on. Two piece shafts were starndard in CJ 20s (big nut sticking through rear wheel center hole).  The 44 is more of a hex shape cover with ring gear bulge (one piece shafts, no big nut). As for the front 30 you can look at 95% of the Jeeps on the road  (CJ YJ TJ XJ) all came with a verson of a D30 in the front.

This being said the PO may have put anything in it. ;)

Ted
85' CJ8 on 33s w/ 4.56s

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2009, 10:44:31 pm »
Most axles have "tags" placed between the cover bolts which will tell you the gearing, but NOT which axle it is.
Your front axle is 99.9% a Dana 30. The rear axle has (if not swapped out) either a Model 20 or a Dana 44 like Ted stated. The Model 20 is perfectly round, if it isn't then you probably have a 44...google it....you'll find photos and recognize it immediately.

The Model 20 has a bad "rap" but carries a larger ring gear than the 44. It's those people running heavy throttle that gave the Model 20 a bad rap. Yes it also has thinner axle tubing, two piece shafts, but I've known people running them many, many years. I ran one for eight years hard, I think the shafts might have been "rust welded" together... :D Locking the Model 20 is where shaft seperation happens most (but not all) of the time.

Too bad you have a wide track. I have some sweet narrow track axles available with beafy axle shafts.
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...