Author Topic: hi-lift mount  (Read 7480 times)

woodduck

hi-lift mount
« on: August 06, 2009, 12:38:24 pm »
I'm thinking of mounting my hi-lift jack on the hood of my YJ. Is this a good spot? Or is the bumper a better location? Anyone out there put it on the hood and wished they didn't. Thanks.

Death Wobble

• Angie Zinn - Wall St. Warrior
    • View Profile
Re: hi-lift mount
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2009, 01:01:47 pm »
I found a thread on another forum where a lot of people gave their two cents on this:
http://www.jeepz.com/forum/general-chat/16621-where-mount-hi-lift-jack-yj.html

Hope that helps!
'88 XJ Limited:  4.5" ZONE lift, 32x11.5x15 BFG KM2s, JKS Quicker Discos, Kevin's Off Road rock rails.
'96 XJ Sport: 31x10.5 BFGs, 3" Rusty's lift.
Listen to Clutch.
(and your gut instincts)
CENSORSHIP IS UNAMERICAN!

Jeremy

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2009, 01:09:13 pm »
bumpers are piss poor positions in my opinion:  ( if mounted horizontally)

1. the mechanism collects crud and they can be contrary enough as it is with out being coated in mud.

2.  I've lost count of how many I have seen bent inadvertently and unknowingly until it was needed.

3.  I would suck to have to dig out your hi lift jack or be otherwise unaccessible because it is pinned between a obstacle and the jeep

4. To easy to steal, lose, fall off.

If mounted vertically It is a little better it minimizes some of the above issues and you can keep a eye on it in your mirrors. There are lots of tire carrier mounts for this.

On the hood lets you keep a eye on it, but it can still collect crud, if you like splashing through the puddles.  It can be hard on the paint (if that matters) when you lift it up and down It adds weight to the hood or interferes with the opening of the hood depending on how and where it exactly it is mounted.

Mine is mounted across the back inside the rear hatch of my hard top, with a 4x rack.   It is kept clean and secure there BUT, I have to open the tire carrier and the hatch to get it, and I have been to places where I could not do that.  Which meant I had to wrestle it through the whole jeep to get it. (At least I did not have to dig it out)

The second place I have mounted it on my other jeep is strapped to the long bar of my roll bar (on a scrambler)

The third place is slid under the rear drawer and back seat of my LJ

As for my  Flatty,  I don't have room for it,  I may figure that out where It goes once it is running.

The fact is a hi lift can be a pain to store especially the 60" model but when you need one, you need one.

Jeremy Meehan

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2009, 10:06:30 am »
Mounting it on the "cowl" rather than the hood is what you want to do. Hi-Lift also recently came out with a neoprene mechanism bag that zips over all the moving parts, I'd recommend getting one.
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

ZJBearsFan

• Alexander Harlacher
    • View Profile
    • my space
« Reply #4 on: August 07, 2009, 10:43:33 pm »
i have no problem storing mine it fits very well under the back seat.  out of the way and out of the elements.
If it ain't broke, Wheel IT!!!

1993 ZJ 2" Spacers, Newer XJ wheels

hillbilly

• adam lewis - appalachian american - B.O.D.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2009, 09:08:23 pm »
moved mine to the safari rack because of bumper changes and it just looks so dang good up there.lol. but just as cumbersum ($3dollar word) to get to when needed. had a problem once after a couple bad storms ratchet system not wanting to work but now i keep it coated with vaseline it stays on better than grease.
build it, beat it, break it, fix it, repeat
A member of the church requests to be buried in his jeep because "It ain't never been in a hole it couldn't get out of."
   91 xj 8.5" lift -33" x 12.50 and my own additions
 94 xj (wifes) 3.5" lift and the boys 1979 cj7

N3IW

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2009, 09:52:46 pm »
I had used a couple of U-bolts and some wing nuts to mount mine inside to the rear of the sport/roll bar just above the tailgate.  Was OK except I needed to roll up the rear window to get at it.  I now have a tire carrier bumper (Body Armor) that had mounting tabs for the Hi-lift on the tire swing.  Much more accessible, but I did get the neoprene cover for the mechanism.
Chip Morgan

2000 Wrangler TJ Sport - minor lift + 1.25" BL on 33s; many, many skid plates with more to come