Author Topic: Blowing a fuse  (Read 5465 times)

Rusty XJ

• Rickie Wilson Jr.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Blowing a fuse
« on: April 08, 2008, 07:07:54 pm »
I was driving home from work today when the engine shut off.  After looking around a bit we found the 30amp maxi fuse for "Engine Control 1" had blown. We stuck another in and it blew as soon as I started it. So after about three 30amps and one 40amp we went to 60 just to get it back to work without a tow bill. It made it back into the parking lot and blew that one as well. So tomorrow I am gonna have to dig the old wiring diagram out and chase this beast. But first I wanted to ask around to see if anyone else has had this problem and aside from physical wire damage what components/modules could be suspect? Its a 95 XJ Cherokee 4.0L 5spd
Rick Wilson Jr.
Is that DEATH WOBBLE or did we just enter Pennsylvania?
'95 XJ 2 Door, 4.0, 5spd, 7" random lift, 35x12.5 BFG ATs, 4.56 gears, Dana 44 Mini-spooled, Dana 30 w/ Detroit Truetrac and manual hubs, Bushwacker Flares, Warrior Front Bumper, JCR Rear Bumper, etc etc...

(Tattoo) Jack

• Jack Utter
    • View Profile
Re: Blowing a fuse
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2008, 08:25:32 am »
   Ricky,

Also try posting here... http://www.naxja.org/ between these 2 sites there's bound to be someone to help ya.

Sorry, I can't help.

Tattoo ???
The only way to know your limits...  is to surpass them!

Don't Shop - Adopt
   "Save Your Best Friends Life, Adopt a Rescue"
       If it's not a Dobermann, it's just a Dawg...

Rusty XJ

• Rickie Wilson Jr.
    • View Profile
    • Facebook
Re: Blowing a fuse
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2008, 10:19:01 am »
We got it up and running yesterday. The problem was the wire going to the oxygen sensor was touching my header which melted the plastic coating and kept shorting out every time it touched. Apparently the O2 sensor is wired through the fuel pump relay which caused the 30amp maxi fuse to blow out. I just repaired the wire and zip tied it out of the way of my header. I don't know if somewhere along the line that wire got rerouted but it is in kind of a stupid spot to begin with. Unless it was out of the way with the factory manifold and the aftermarket header was closer to the wire.
Rick Wilson Jr.
Is that DEATH WOBBLE or did we just enter Pennsylvania?
'95 XJ 2 Door, 4.0, 5spd, 7" random lift, 35x12.5 BFG ATs, 4.56 gears, Dana 44 Mini-spooled, Dana 30 w/ Detroit Truetrac and manual hubs, Bushwacker Flares, Warrior Front Bumper, JCR Rear Bumper, etc etc...