Author Topic: Chebby 350 conversion in 85 CJ7...  (Read 9098 times)

mudnut

Chebby 350 conversion in 85 CJ7...
« on: September 16, 2009, 01:19:55 pm »
Ok so a buddy of mine has a 68 Chebby 350 with a TH350 free for the taking if I want it for my CJ. Now I know that a 360 (or if I were lucky enough to find one a 401) would be a much easier conversion but stay with me here... Another buddy of mine in Nashville has the TB FI setup from his 305 that he had in his CJ5, he thinks that he still has the adapter for the Tcase too. Not sure what kind of a deal he will give me but I think I can get his setup rather cheaply. I will need new injectors as he was running 454 injectors (his 305 was a stroker). Wish he still had the engine and tranny (he ran a TH400)

Thinking with a decent budget rebuild of the 350, new pistons, bearings etc..., a little block work and a set of center bolt heads (required for the FI setup) and some new seals in the TH350 (along with a bottle of Trans Tune and some new AT fluid) and I might have something I could be happy with. Found an adapter for the D300 (in the event that he Jay doesn't still have his), new Rad, engine mounts, headers etc... and I just might have a V8 for my FrankinJeep.

Not cheap but not as pricey as it could be... so.... thoughts? I'm not stuck on this setup but I really would rather have fuel injection if I can get his setup fairly cheap, I know 360s are cheap but then again so are 350s. I'm not a purest so keeping it Jeep is not that big of a deal (also considering Scout axles eventually)

I've got a shopping list going for my lift and new steering components with new bushings so the engine upgrade won't be for awhile but if this is viable I'll at least get the engine and trans into the shop for some tear down and cleanup...

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
Re: Chebby 350 conversion in 85 CJ7...
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2009, 06:43:08 am »
Jenn has a Chevy 350 in her YJ. Perhaps she or Dave will provide some assistance and/or advise on a set-up for you.
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

K Riccardi

• It was funny you just didn't get it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2009, 08:00:24 am »
SBC is a easy swap as far as swaps go. All the good deals you think you have may be great, but. For less money you could get a running driving 87 (factory TBI and up Chevy pickup that is rusted out or just plane beat up and use the Motor and Trans with all the little parts you will need it would be money well spent. I would not be woried about getting a truck with high milage as long as it runs good. Do not be fooled by the guy that says "oww it just needs a little tune up". If it just needed a tune up he would have done it and they may be trying to hide bigger problems. The 700r4 can be exspensive to repair so make sure it shifts as it should and the fluid does not look funky. The newer the truck the better they ran. Stick with a 350.

Donor 4x4 truck $1500ish
Trans dapt (sp) has the motor mounts the cheapest. $100ish
Trans adapter. $500ish
custom exhaust $500ish
Wiring harness  $500ish
Drive-shafts $300ish
Radiator  $300ish

That sounds like alot of money but you end up with a much nicer product in the end. I have done it both ways and the factory TBI is hard to beat.

1981 Scrambler (stockish)
2003 Duramax (family car)
1996 xj

Thank you PAJeeps for making it possible for Ballpeen Racing to have a great year competing at RCrocs!

mudnut

« Reply #3 on: September 18, 2009, 01:36:32 pm »
I was going to go for a newer donor vehicle, thought that I would find something like you had mentioned, running but body shot, stick the engine and trans in as they were and drive it without having to go through a rebuild but my buddy shot me a deal that I couldn't pass up..

I ended up picking up the whole TBI setup with wiring harness, intake, ECM, along with a set of 4 inch lift springs that still have several years left in them, a custom built aluminum rad and a set of revolver shackles for the front for a price that I couldn't say no to.

Chev 350 and TH350 both free, debating whether or not to have the TH350 rebuilt or just new seals, the engine will be torn down, rebuilt with better pistons and will receive a coat of Chebby orange paint before it's put in.

This will take my CJ off the road for a few months, first for the lift, then next spring for the engine and tranny swap.

I'm keeping the D300 but am up in the air with the adapter, right now it's between the Advance Adapters kit and the one from Novak. They are both about the same price... any advice here?

K Riccardi

• It was funny you just didn't get it.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2009, 05:01:42 pm »
If it were me I would have the trans rebuilt.

Adapter wise I would see who has the shortest one. I think Novak may have a little better customer service.
1981 Scrambler (stockish)
2003 Duramax (family car)
1996 xj

Thank you PAJeeps for making it possible for Ballpeen Racing to have a great year competing at RCrocs!

Davew

• Jenn's On Board Mechanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2009, 12:21:09 am »
Go for it  but listen to the advise above. When I did Jenn's YJ 17 years ago I made the wiring harness and had to use weld in mounts so measurements were important. Now I believe they make a bolt in crossmember/mount set up. If you have any questions I will try to help out but I suffer from CRS but will do my best. I'm not on here that much so direct your questions to Jenn (Jeepnharleymomma) and she will get me.
Stupidity, if left untreated is self-correcting