Author Topic: Transmission choices  (Read 5219 times)

mudnut

Transmission choices
« on: November 18, 2009, 07:42:22 pm »
My CJ project has changed scope several times. Currently I am planning a 360 swap... here's the scoop.

Currently I have a 258 backed by a T5 and the famous Dana 300 in an 85 CJ7. I found a running 360 that is currently in a CJ, I can pick it up, carb to oil pan including rad and mounts. It's almost a done deal but I am waffling with the trans options. I can get the 3 speed manual (not sure what model) and Dana 20 that is currently behind the 360 for $500 (over the price of just the engine) but I really want an automatic and I like the lower gearing of the Dana 300. I figure that I can use those Benjamins towards an auto tranny.

Besides the flex plate for the engine I need to know what I will want to consider when choosing an auto. I want something that will bolt up to the 360 and the Dana 300 without an adapter so it will need to be something out of a FSJ but my knowledge of AMC/Chrysler transmissions is very limited.  ??? ???

Any advise?

BCjeeper

• View Profile
Re: Transmission choices
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2009, 05:47:24 pm »
TF727. Not sure on the model of transfer case that has the same spline count as the Dana 300 but there is one that is a direct bolt on.
Jim Neidrich

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2009, 09:35:31 pm »
Very good questions you ask...

AMC 360 + TF727 + Dana 300 - YES, they are direct bolt on. BUT, here is how it needs to be done.

You can find that TF727 in a 86' Wagoneer, that is certain.
However, you CANNOT use the steering column from the Wagoneer for your CJ7...It's too big and the shifter linkage would be a nightmare.
An automatic column from a CJ works but needs modified...Fun, fun, fun and even more fun follows that.

With the above set-up...Get yourself a Hurst floor shift kit. Will make everything much simpler. The shifter kit runs about $160-$170.00 and you keep your existing steering column.
The B&M Megashifter kit will work too.

Pay attention to your flywheel. They are balanced differently and used incorrectly will shake that 360 apart.

IF I am wrong somebody BETTER chime in...!
Good Luck
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

mudnut

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2009, 08:29:07 am »
Since I can get the 3 speed with the T-case for just a few hundred more than the engine alone (300 not 500, don't know what I was thinking when I wrote that) I'm going to pick up the whole setup, slide it in place of my current power plant. I'll sell my I6 and T5, keep the Dana 300 and will look around for an auto to slip in later. That will give me time to go through the D300, freshen it up a little, and I'll plan a rebuild of the 360 when I find a hopefully non abused TF727.

I'll keep the floor shift, like them better and don't want to mess with pulling the steering column.