Author Topic: flywheel ring gear...loose!  (Read 10390 times)

jeeperwannabe

• View Profile
flywheel ring gear...loose!
« on: February 27, 2008, 10:42:36 pm »
so i am ready to instal a brand new flywheel on the AMC 360 crank...i line up the holes and start threading in the bolts. i realize i forgot to slip the spacer in so i remove the bolts and go to pull the flywheel off the crank.... and the damn starter ring gear come loose! i took the flywheel off to look at it and  the gear easily pulled right off!

now, i am new to some of this, but i have never come across this deal.
is there something i don't know?
what do i do? how does the thing stay together?
i see the old flexplate (use to be auto) the gear is welded to the plate...

whats going on?
help please!

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
Re: flywheel ring gear...loose!
« Reply #1 on: February 28, 2008, 12:03:03 am »
Well, I think when you placed the flywheel on without the spacer you seperated the starter ring gear by NOT having it lined up correctly.
Ooooops !!!
[/b][/size]
I could be wrong, but that gear on the starter is held in place just buy .....what the hell do you call it....? The shaft is crimped on either side of it I think. By drawing the flywheel in you forced it beyond it's proper point. Might need a new starter if it can't be fixed.

Someone with more knowledge chime in here and help this wannabe out !
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

cjbroke

« Reply #2 on: February 28, 2008, 08:23:45 am »
Mmmmmm...odd. I agree with Rick. IIRC the ring gear is held on by, well it's a press fit kinda thing.  I think once it's off, you might be screwed. I'm not sure you can just put it back on.  I think welding it on may cause imbalance or warping.
 Go down to your local shop and ask.
Worst case buy a new one. Or a new used one.

Of course, when you get the real answer let us know.

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2008, 09:12:33 am »
I'd just get a rebuilt starter and get a core exchange. They're not that expensive as long as you're not needing a "Mean Green" model.
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

CJ8Ted

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2008, 08:54:46 pm »
Its a press fit, you may need to have a new ring pressed on.
May have been the wrong one or it may have cracked.
Ted
85' CJ8 on 33s w/ 4.56s

jeeperwannabe

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 28, 2008, 10:10:40 pm »
i might not have explained what happened clearly, but you guys are on the right track sort of.
there was no starter involved.
i have a bare motor hanging on a hoist. i just put in the new pilot bushing. i then mated the flywheel to the crank without even torquing the bolts down...for got the big tin plate spacer thing, so i went to gently remove the flywheel and noticed the new ring gear on the flywheel moved in my hands on the new flywheel. so i finished taking it of the crank and looked closer at the gear...gave a couple tugs and was able to separate the two!

i think that being new, something is not machined right. it's more of a slip fit right now...and that ain't gonna fly-wheely!!

thanks for your thoughts.
i'll let you know how i make out.

jeepergettintobe!

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 29, 2008, 12:04:19 am »
C'mon...You mis-informed us....?

Well, the pilot bushing could be the incorrect one. Those things are critical. Especially if the shaft was machined. Been there, done that with my T-18 purchased for $500.00 on ebay. Good thing Ben Hoak stopped in the shop while Grant and I where installing it and got snagged. He called it directly and found one to fit. There is very little tollerance allowed for those.

jeeperwannabe

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 29, 2008, 11:59:48 am »
ok i'll simplify me problem... ;)

new flywheel out of box...brand new uninstalled...the ringear pulled loose from it. why? what's going on? ;D

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 29, 2008, 07:00:28 pm »
OK, now I know what you are talking about....Defective machining...?

jeeperwannabe

• View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 29, 2008, 08:58:14 pm »
must be. either the gear or the flywheel.

but kudos to "jackthejeepman" on EBay! i bought this thing back in June... so i email him and explain i just now took it out of the box and found the problem. he is understanding enough to take it back and replace it! i figured it's been way too long since i bought it, but he is making things right.
so a big positive feedback for him. check out some of his auctions...!