Author Topic: cj7 spring over  (Read 12361 times)

76cj7

• View Profile
cj7 spring over
« on: February 06, 2011, 09:33:02 pm »
Im thinking of doing spring over on my cj7. Is this hard to do? Will it drive bad if i do this?
Connor Hofford
1976 cj7 4" rough country lift

Rick_Bear

• Jeep Show Chairman
    • View Profile
Re: cj7 spring over
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2011, 12:14:25 am »
Connor,

It's not a project for your run-of-the-mill "shade-tree mechanic" to build it correctly. I sent you an email.
Do Your Duty And History Will Do You Justice...!
06' Wrangler Rubicon Unlimited, Clayton 4" Long Arm Suspension, Clayton Full Skid Plates, AtoZ Fabrication Rock Sliders, AtoZ Fabrication Cage Addition and More modifications to come...

76cj7

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2011, 03:55:15 pm »
I should be able to do it. I built the jeep from nothing. That artical was very helpful. :)
Connor Hofford

ddechri

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 23, 2011, 08:16:48 am »
You can also talk to some of the guys in EVOR. Several run SOA of CJ's & YJ's.

- Dave
Dave DeChristopher
'79 CJ-7: 4.0L, T18, bronco geared Dana 20, D30/D44 (locked), Warn 8274
'60 Willys PU: IH 304 V8, wide T19, Dana 18, OD, PTO Winch, SOA D44/D53(Power Lock) w/4.27's, 33's,
'68 CJ5 - Dauntless, SM420 (project)
'98 Dodge Ram 2500 12V CTD QC LWB
"Where ever I go, there's I AM"

Jeremy

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2011, 01:31:39 pm »
Biggest  issues with a spring over conversion are thus:

Axle wrap,  With the springs under axle your leaf springs resist axle wrap imparted by the drivetrain when it loads.  With the springs over the axle tube these load (the twisting force of the drive train) in on the opposite end of the lever so to speak.  Instead of resisting axle wrap is adds to it.  To save your springs and your pinion U joints a anti-wrap bar needs to be installed with a spring over,  Such as the one available from SAM'S Offload.

There are some real advantages of a spring over,  you gain a lot of lift from relatively flat stock springs that allows LOTS of movement and flex, Beware that you have enough shock travel and brake lines to take advantage of that flex AND enough fender well clearance. 

Moving to the front axle,  some real issues,  Moving the springs perches over the axle is not as simple as it sounds, Although I have seen lots of ghetto hack jobs do just this.  The issues arise in figuring out the proper caster angle so your steering returns to center Even if you manage to get the caster angle correct then you have some pretty creative problem solving figuring out steering issues in clearance around the drag link and its angle.  There are a couple of solutions here.

MORE makes a bracket to move the axle ended of the drag link above the axle,  although I have only seen this on a YJ

High steering which moves everything up in to correct geometry, with the benefit of being protective of the tie rod.

Cross over steering conversion which changes out everything.

NONE of these options is particularly cheap but they are the best solutions.  A improper solution is a bunch of different drop pitman arms and bent tierods that are a hazard to yourself and anyone near you these might bandaid the steering issues but they are not safe or strong,  DO NOT do the easy way out just because some hack has gotten away with "cheap" does not mean it is safe. 

In addition to the steering and spring issues, take a look at your spring perch in particular CJ spring perches are not  strong at the shackle end and the newest CJs are pushing 35-40 years old now.  Those bend plates that the shackles tie into the frame are known to pull and break, consider slick rock spring hangers or a spring shackle reversal  to address these.  Beware that a spring shackle reversal adds some complications as the front axle will travel BACK and this limits clearance and tire size. 

Jeremy Meehan

76cj7

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2011, 08:14:35 pm »
http://www.rocky-road.com/cjspoa.html....any one ever try one of these lifts? looks like the steering issue is taken care of and the perches look pritty good. My biggest worry is getting the perches welded on at the right angle and it looks like thay have that all figured out so i can just bolt it on and weld it if i want later
Connor Hofford